Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Greenman wrote: »
    That's one rubbish looking studio, looks like a seedy night club. All you need is the smoke haze. :-(

Wouldn't mind seen Claire dancing around a pole though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Looks like tonight's show is sponsored by Cadbury's Dairy Milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭neenam

Tracey Ryan (one of the coordinators of the Cork Calais Refugee Solidarity) was supposed to appear on the Claire Byrne show tonight only to have her airtime denied last minute.

Instead we had racist vitriol from Ian O' Doherty and a Fine Gael councillor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,307 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

neenam wrote: »
    Tracey Ryan (one of the coordinators of the Cork Calais Refugee Solidarity) was supposed to appear on the Claire Byrne show tonight only to have her airtime denied last minute.

Instead we had racist vitriol from Ian O' Doherty and a Fine Gael councillor.

What was said?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I only watched the Syrian refugee bit and overall it was a bit mad.

The only people who seemed to make any real point where O'Doherty and the Syrian chap in the audience. Nora kind of sat on the fence and the Fine Gael chap didn't really say anything.

I didn't notice any racist language or points on it either.

• Advertisement

Simon Harris is an idiot .....(he looks like a teenager) .... I don't believe a word he's saying

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Simon Harris is an idiot .....(he looks like a teenager) .... I don't believe a word he's saying

He is clearly a good debater, something the lads are not used to...bit like a dog with a bone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

He has the party spin down pat anyway, but it is extremely hard to take him seriously. It's pure waffle and lots of the same stuff we heard in 2011 too, but which FG/LAB promptly forgot about afterwards.

As for this nonsense about "fastest growing economy in Europe" - not hard considering the country was on its knees (and remembering that in the Good Times, FG wanted to spend more!!), but when you hear the real stories of the audience members it's clear Enda's "recovery" isn't being felt by s lot of people yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

No he's not. I think he has a far greater grasp of economics than your hero Pearse Doherty

Chemotherapy is traumatic enough.....

Leo should hang his head in shame, he's been there for enough time to make a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Some shocking stuff from the health system. Emergency consultants with dire warnings this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    He has the party spin down pat anyway, but it is extremely hard to take him seriously. It's pure waffle and lots of the same stuff we heard in 2011 too, but which FG/LAB promptly forgot about afterwards.

As for this nonsense about "fastest growing economy in Europe" - not hard considering the country was on its knees (and remembering that in the Good Times, FG wanted to spend more!!), but when you hear the real stories of the audience members it's clear Enda's "recovery" isn't being felt by s lot of people yet.

Do you think within the space of a year everyone will feel the recovery?

The next few years you will see the benefits. It can't just happen overnight.

In 4 years we have gone from bust to the fastest growing economy.

He can talk the talk alright but he's only 28!

If he's so smart and has all the answers what has he been doing since 2011 (when he was just 24) ??

huey1975 wrote: »
    No he's not. I think he has a far greater grasp of economics than your hero Pearse Doherty

Where did I say Pierce Doherty was my hero?????

He can talk the talk alright but he's only 28!

If he's so smart and has all the answers what has he been doing since 2011 (when he was just 24) ??

Bring in a smart talker and all will be well smaggie??....;)

JustTheOne wrote: »

Yes .....and we have learnt nothing!

Chemotherapy is traumatic enough.....

Leo should hang his head in shame, he's been there for enough time to make a change.

Leo's talent is in populist soundbites and commentating on everyone else's department.. but not achieving much on his own!

This however seems to have won him enough support to make him a popular contender for Enda's job next - really he's FG's answer to Teflon Bertie.

Leo's talent is in populist soundbites and commentating on everyone else's department.. but not achieving much on his own!

This however seems to have won him enough support to make him a popular contender for Enda's job next - really he's FG's answer to Teflon Bertie.

I agree Kaiser...

It would be my opinion Leo is full of his own importance.

He is going to go for the "big job" on the back of his profile this year, which has not been backwards incoming forwards imo....

He has had his chance. He has done nothing.

I have family who work in Beaumont - it is chaotic at the weekend.

Hang your head in shame Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pearse Doherty promised money for all, maybe the IRA gave them some money.

If FG are re-elected what we'll see is...

- Broadcast taxes
    - Mandatory Health Insurance
    - Privitisation of IW and increased charges there too
    - Increased property taxes

I'm not fooled at all by the idea that FG's give-away budget (with our own money I might add!), will not be more than balanced by the above if they are re-elected.

• Advertisement

Portugal re-elected their government that brought in the cuts and austerity.
    Greece re-elected their government that did a U turn and who are implementing austerity.

- Broadcast taxes

I'm not fooled at all by the idea that FG's give-away budget (with our own money I might add!), will not be more than balanced by the above if they are re-elected.

Agreed. They've already flagged increased property charges ..... which I find extremely worrying. I struggled to pay mine as it was this year . I'm sick of all my money going on taxes , charges , bills .... working for nothing :-(

Micheal Martin is caked in make up.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Portugal re-elected their government that brought in the cuts and austerity.
    Greece re-elected their government that did a U turn and who are implementing austerity.

cuts and austerity is one thing...

Cronyism, waste, corruption, dilution of the democratic process, and a Taoiseach that goes into hiding when the latest scandal breaks is something very different!

This snake.

Simon Harris is an annoying little prat ......his apology to Rachel about her husband sound condescending and pat! A 28 year old has experienced nothing of life ..... he will not feel the pain and hardship that people,are experiencing !

Agreed. They've already flagged increased property charges ..... which I find extremely worrying. I struggled to pay mine as it was this year . I'm sick of all my money going on taxes , charges , bills .... working for nothing :-(

It does go towards the 20 billion welfare bill, its not all negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

- Broadcast taxes

I don't understand this idea of a 'give-away' budget. I am paying tax at a marginal rate of 51% even though I'm earning less than the average industrial wage. If I get some relief on that rate, I regard it as being fleeced a bit less. By taking less off someone is not 'giving' them anything, it is simply taking less off them.

It does go towards the 20 billion welfare bill, its not all negative.

Mmmmm ..........is that meant to make me feel better ? :cool::confused:

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I don't understand this idea of a 'give-away' budget. I am paying tax at a marginal rate of 51% even though I'm earning less than the average industrial wage. If I get some relief on that rate, I regard it as being fleeced a bit less. By taking less off someone is not 'giving' them anything, it is simply taking less off them.

The fella in the audience talking about the loss of the single parent tax credit made a very valid point. FG/LAB may keep talking about not increasing income tax, but between the cuts and removal of credits and the imposition of a raft of indirect and separate charges most people are still significantly worse off!

Advertisement