Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I really dislike that "priests" voice David uses........

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Paddy has to face facts that there are not enough places to meet the demand he wants.

But grey, even if there were enough places, should the fact that a child who was baptised ( still in nappies and sucking a 'dodie') have an advantage school-wise over another baby, also in nappies and sucking a 'dodie'

Why do we rarely hear of Catholic children not being able to get a school place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Jesus David mc talks some amount of ****e. Claire handed him his ass on a plate and all he says is thats pure ideology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I doubt as Claire says you get your child baptised to get them into school?

Unfortunately people have outright admitted that they have had their children baptised in order to be able to send them to a Catholic school. :(

The more people that do this the more registered Catholics there are. The more 'Catholics' there are, the more funding the Catholic schools claim. After all, 95% of people in Ireland are Catholic (apparently) so it's only obvious that the Catholic schools require a massive percentage of the Education funding, in order to provide decent schools for all these 'Catholics.' So there's less funding for non-denominational schools.

And, ironically, I know someone who is Catholic. Old School Catholic. No meat on Fridays, mass in Latin, girls wear skirts not pants and his children don't go to a Catholic school at all. They are homeschooled.

Ah now coolhull..........golf clubs and the church......

Private clubs for the men......;)

Sure, it's a closed shop then??:eek:

A Justice Minister a few years ago said that the rules within the Church carry about as much weight as the rules of a private golf club. Neither set of rules can be allowed to impinge on society as a whole

• Advertisement

coolhull wrote: »

Why do we rarely hear of Catholic children not being able to get a school place?

I don't know the answer to that coolhull. I didn't enroll little grey to the "catholic school". We were welcomed with open arms to the local Presbyterian Church.

Sometimes thinking outside the box is no harm.

It didn't do little grey any harm.

A Justice Minister a few years ago said that the rules within the Church carry about as much weight as the rules of a private golf club. Neither set of rules can be allowed to impinge on society as a whole

He did.............Yeah..........:rolleyes:

That's typical of a bulls we've been living with for years coolhull.....

It just doesn't translate into real life....

It's not that many years ago that a female teacher was sacked by a Catholic school because she happened to fall in love and moved in with a divorced man. The teacher, now deceased, lost her court battle to get her job back.

Unfortunately people have outright admitted that they have had their children baptised in order to be able to send them to a Catholic school. :(

The more people that do this the more registered Catholics there are. The more 'Catholics' there are, the more funding the Catholic schools claim. After all, 95% of people in Ireland are Catholic (apparently) so it's only obvious that the Catholic schools require a massive percentage of the Education funding, in order to provide decent schools for all these 'Catholics.' So there's less funding for non-denominational schools.

And, ironically, I know someone who is Catholic. Old School Catholic. No meat on Fridays, mass in Latin, girls wear skirts not pants and his children don't go to a Catholic school at all. They are homeschooled.

That's really sad.

I wouldn't have any answers to that.....I have a lovely child who has a range of friends - half of I couldn't even remember their religion, they are all in touch now, post graduates, all over the world - religion is the least of their problems.............:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

Interesting that the next agenda is dealing with another shortage / housing. The politicians are also not dealing with this problem by building more houses / apartments. Instead like in the first topic they try to fudge the problem onto others / religious schools / landlords etc.

More school places are needed in certain areas and fast trac school building programmes for the educate together philosophy etc and more houses.

Rent certainty won't increase the houses available nor will pushing a secular agenda..

• Advertisement

It's not that many years ago that a female teacher was sacked by a Catholic school because she happened to fall in love and moved in with a divorced man. The teacher, now deceased, lost her court battle to get her job back.

I remember that case coolhull.

It was shocking then and it is shocking now.

I hope we have moved on and continue to do so.

It's the Ireland I hope we can forget.

He did.............Yeah..........:rolleyes:

That's typical of a bulls we've been living with for years coolhull.....

It just doesn't translate into real life....

But only because the Catholic teaching and Canon ''Law'' is allowed to still largely influence our cowardly politicians. In 'real life', would you agree that a large part of your taxes go to pay the bartender and groundsman of the local golf club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

But only because the Catholic teaching and Canon ''Law'' is allowed to still largely influence our cowardly politicians. In 'real life', would you agree that a large part of your taxes go to pay the bartender and groundsman of the local golf club?

?

I think they are still "voted in" coolhull if that's what you mean.

Change has to come from the Ballot Box.

We, the voters, are responsible for that.

Change comes from education and we have to make that message clear...

Is anyone on RTE going to investigate this "72 Hour" challenge on Facebook that encourages "teens" to go missing without their phones for 72 hours to get publicity???

It's a very disturbing social media trend.

Of the two-and-a-half main parties, who is there to vote for if we want political change on this matter, grey?

Of the two-and-a-half main parties, who is there to vote for if we want political change on this matter, grey?

To be honest coolhull, I've been listening and watching political parties all my adult life.

I've been there and bought the T-Shirt.

Believe me.

You have to try and make the change but politics is a dirty business.

Ask Eamon Gilmore. He is going to bring down Joan, I'd say he is eating the bitter pill every morning.

It made me laugh, Leo is the "Man of the Year" and Beaumont Hospital is like a war-zone. We care more about a man "coming out" before his party's vote rather than "fixing it" for the sick, ill, and dying people he is supposed to be protecting. He says "It'll be worse before it gets better"....Disgusting response.

I've no answer to that question.

I'll buy you a pint sometime and we'll figure it out somehow.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

That judge stated that the accused needs to be recognised also. I agree with this to an extent..
    But if someone drinks/drugs and drives,causes an accident,and then leaves the scene and tries to get away with it,I have an issue with.
    If they caused the accident and were found to be trying to help the victims,remorseful,distraught etc then I might accept a lenient sentence

To be honest coolhull, I've been listening and watching political parties all my adult life.

I've been there and bought the T-Shirt.

Believe me.

You have to try and make the change but politics is a dirty business.

Ask Eamon Gilmore. He is going to bring down Joan, I'd say he is eating the bitter pill every morning.

It made me laugh, Leo is the "Man of the Year" and Beaumont Hospital is like a war-zone. We care more about a man "coming out" before his party's vote rather than "fixing it" for the sick, ill, and dying people he is supposed to be protecting. He says "It'll be worse before it gets better"....Disgusting response.

I've no answer to that question.

I'll buy you a pint sometime and we'll figure it out somehow.....;)

I'll look forward to that, grey. Mine's a pint o' plain :D

(washed down with a large Jameson!)

I'll look forward to that, grey. Mine's a pint o' plain :D

(washed down with a large Jameson!)

I'm not a pint person coolhull, but I'd sink the Titanic with the Cork Gin!..;)......(and for the pun............................lots of ice.......:o....sorry!) x:)

• Advertisement

I'm not a pint person coolhull, but I'd sink the Titanic with the Cork Gin!..;)......(and for the pun............................lots of ice.......:o....sorry!) x:)

:D:D

Alan Kelly sinking like the Titanic tonight on Claire's show......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Alan Kelly sinking like the Titanic tonight on Claire's show......

He should be kept locked up with Enda. He didn't do the party any favours there.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    He should be kept locked up with Enda. He didn't do the party any favours there.

Enda who?

A rare sighting indeed, no wading in the puddles for him like Bertie did in Ballybough!! :D

Seriously though, that flooding is catastrophic.....:(...They didn't get much hope from Alan Kelly tonight, the hamster ate everything tonight....He didn't deliver anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Enda who?

A rare sighting indeed, no wading in the puddles for him like Bertie did in Ballybough!! :D

Seriously though, that flooding is catastrophic.....:(...They didn't get much hope from Alan Kelly tonight, the hamster ate everything tonight....He didn't deliver anything...

Yep..and Gerry Butimer taking a hammering from Roisin Shortall on TV3,,,she is very impressive of late.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Yep..and Gerry Butimer taking a hammering from Roisin Shortall on TV3,,,she is very impressive of late.

Roisin will clean up, she saw it coming and bailed out, very well timed.

Clever lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Roisin will clean up, she saw it coming and bailed out, very well timed.

Clever lady.

Yeah, clever all right. Instead of staying in her job and trying to do something, she ran away to become a 'hurler on the ditch'. She probably reckoned she would not get reelected if she stuck with Labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,321 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What were they doing having Duncan Stewart on waffling about 1 metre sea level rises with yet again zero facts or balance to his rubbish talk? If he had his way we would in this country return to living in caves.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Yeah, clever all right. Instead of staying in her job and trying to do something, she ran away to become a 'hurler on the ditch'. She probably reckoned she would not get reelected if she stuck with Labour.

Maybe that's why I called her clever?

Roisin will have her job when the rest of Labour are whinging wringing their tears away.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Timmy Dooley: It's been a very much two-tier recovery, along the east coast there has been great economic growth, but the area I represent, west of the Shannon, there hasn't been much economic growth at all

Claire Byrne: But have ye not got the wild atlantic way, has that not given ye a boost?

What an absolute spanner. Its insulting to think that flying tourists into Dublin and bussing them to the West gives us any form of major economic recovery.

Advertisement