Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

That Erica wan never has any problem getting baby sitters. Why doesnt she just go an live with her mother if a hotel isnt good enough for her. There is never one word, in anything that she ever says, about being grateful to the state and other taxpayers for subsidizing her. It's the not state's fault she had a kid on her own.

I agree with 90% of that the only bit I take issue with is the "kid on her own bit". Theres plenty of single mothers around the country who are managing to keep their head above water. They aren't spending their days wallowing and taking the blame the government option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

In fairness, she's a labour td in Galway East. Only one labour td has ever been elected there (2011). Getting 10% of the vote this time is a good achievement.

She's not a TD, and never has been. She's a member of the Seanad, appointed by Enda (most probably on the recommendation of Gilmore) in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

She's one of a few poster girls for the AAA. I wish someone put a few questions to her on air, like where do you keep your two dogs that featured on prime time?

Nobody is prepared to ask the impolite question of "where is the father why is he not contributing". Fine if she wants to keep the father out of the child's life, but it's obviously gonna be harder if she makes that choice.

She is to be commended for working, but she seems to think that the state owes her a debt of gratitude for not packing in the job and living fully off welfare. The plain truth is that she owes a debt of gratitude to the Irish people for subsidizing her.

I also thought that documentary was very unfair on i) her child, who was use as fodder for her campaign and ii) her employer, because I think everybody who watched would have inferred from the program they were paying her so badly that she couldn't afford to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I always thought that Lorraine Higgins could have passed for Claire Byrne's older sister.

1d11e5ebeed3c42540f69555bbe34fb8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

When will Lorraine Higgins get the message that the electorate don't want her?

Yeah I think she is a bit pissed off that we didn't vote for her, she might as well accept it now that GE won't vote her in to the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

She's not a TD, and never has been. She's a member of the Seanad, appointed by Enda (most probably on the recommendation of Gilmore) in 2011.

Yeah, sorry a typo on my part

That AAA one in the audience was very gobby, what was all the shouting about?

Claire should have questioned her what she would do instead of letting her rant on unchallenged.

Claire should have questioned her what she would do instead of letting her rant on unchallenged.

Agree! Last week in the run up to the elections was the time for that ....not know when we have this messy result . No point in ranting for the sake of it. What we need now is cohesion , you kinda get sick of all the blaming !!
    Claire Byrne should have shut her down ......same with the single mother from that programme (forget her name!). She was there ranting at John Bruton who isn't even a member of the government FFS ! I don't think she even realised it!!

Agree! Last week in the run up to the elections was the time for that ....not know when we have this messy result . No point in ranting for the sake of it. What we need now is cohesion , you kinda get sick of all the blaming !!
    Claire Byrne should have shut her down ......same with the single mother from that programme (forget her name!). She was there ranting at John Bruton who isn't even a member of the government FFS ! I don't think she even realised it!!

Think Erica was her name, I think she expects a house to just magically appear, might not be a popular thing to say but I have a friend that works in DCC and their heads are wrecked trying to help the people in hotels and find them accommodation while being shouted down the phone with demands for this that and the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Think Erica was her name, I think she expects a house to just magically appear, might not be a popular thing to say but I have a friend that works in DCC and their heads are wrecked trying to help the people in hotels and find them accommodation while being shouted down the phone with demands for this that and the other.

And actively supported by some parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I always thought that Lorraine Higgins could have passed for Claire Byrne's older sister.

1d11e5ebeed3c42540f69555bbe34fb8.jpg

Claire is 4 years older than her :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Claire Byrne has impressed me more in the last month than any other politician.

The difference in Sandra Fay and Eoin Ó Broinn is startling. I am not a fan of either party, but I can see why people like EOB. Yer wan just shouts about €64bn being disgusting and hospital waiting lists and water charges and services and crises. Ó Broinn is articulate, answers questions directly and draws the listener in. Fay is a right turnoff.

Dunphy is an absolute caricature. For a man who is so eloquent and intelligent, he acts the eejit sometimes. I have enjoyed his morning interviews and some of his football stuff, but when he decides to court controversy for the sake of it (Ronaldo is sh!te, I voted FF to kick out Labour, etc.) he just comes across like a crank in a pub. He has made a career out of it, I guess, but it is frustrating.

Fair play to Lucinda coming on. She actually dealt with all the questions well, but comes across like a psychopath. Not being able to answer the questions on what mistakes she made is one of the reasons why people struggle to warm to her. I think she needs to knock the politics on the head, as she is a bright lady and would probably succeed in most things she turned her hand to (so long as she didn't have to deal with the public too much!).

A good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

saddo:o

Claire Byrne is happily married with 2 tiny tots and a very hunky husband :rolleyes:

So you're saying there is a chance..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

That Erica wan never has any problem getting baby sitters. Why doesnt she just go an live with her mother if a hotel isnt good enough for her. There is never one word, in anything that she ever says, about being grateful to the state and other taxpayers for subsidizing her. It's the not state's fault she had a kid on her own.

What's written on that sheaf of papers that Erica always waves around but never appears to read.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What's written on that sheaf of papers that Erica always waves around but never appears to read.?

Actualy Erica reminds me of that woman who attempted to become a celebrity after she had a pop at Sean Gallagher during the presidential election. She also over estimated her brief fling with fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We have a good laugh at the Healy-Rae's but it was a master class in vote management for the 2 brothers to get in with minimal budgets compared to the major parties.

I believe Mikey got the biggest 1st vote over 20,000

Wasn't Eamon campaigning with Shane Ross of IA yet he voted FF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

He's an ex leader of FG, and everything he said on the show was either in favour of, or in defence of, FG. Of course they were right to direct their criticisms of the Government at him. Why he was even there in the first place only rte knows.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

She, Sandra Fay, has been on Claire Byrne before and been the exact same.

No solutions just rants about the problems.

Canadel wrote: »
    He's an ex leader of FG, and everything he said on the show was either in favour of, or in defence of, FG. Of course they were right to direct their criticisms of the Government at him. Why he was even there in the first place only rte knows.

Probably to speak more sense than anyone else did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Probably to speak more sense than anyone else did.
    That's your subjective opinion.

Objectively, he was there to defend FG and any criticism of the most current Government. And for that reason anybody else speaking on the show were more than entitled to direct their criticism at him.

• Advertisement

Canadel wrote: »
    That's your subjective opinion.

Objectively, he was there to defend FG and any criticism of the most current Government. And for that reason anybody else speaking on the show were more than entitled to direct their criticism at him.

It is my opinion and yes everyone is entitled to direct their criticism at him. I didn't see him defending FG much, that is your opinion, which you are also entitled to. I did hear him defend the need for a stable Government. I did also hear him give credit to Labour and the Green party for being brave enough to go into Government in the past.

To expand more on my opinion... ...I also tend to agree with most politicians (not all) on something that they have to say/contribute, agreeing with some to a greater or lesser extent than others. I don't agree with elected politicians who are purely party centric and put their party ahead of the responsibility of governing the country or the interests of it's people. As was demonstrated perfectly by a smirking Niamh Smyth. Seems nothing has changed in those quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I can't stand people shouting at politicians to hurry up and build them a free house.

Very irritating to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Everyone is talking about rights. Nobody is talking about responsibilities! Crap discussion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

They've given this fella another fecking soap box........ had enough of him on the late late show on Friday. He does nothing to further the cause of travellers it's all about discrimination, rights and entitlements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What about Hiace's, they were not around 100 years ago and are used today. People adapt with what they need to survive, they don't stay within their own time capsule of days gone by.

M

"It's not a bad health service"...is this lad the full schilling at all?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Never thought I'd say it but Michael Healy Rae is talking a lot of sense tonight.

Still don't think I'll ever get over his celebrations in front of Leinster House though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Never thought I'd say it but Michael Healy Rae is talking a lot of sense tonight.

Still don't think I'll ever get over his celebrations in front of Leinster House though...

Yep and the message from the audience is clear - get your act together FG and FF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Yep and the message from the audience is clear - get your act together FG and FF.

They won't do it, heard it directly from an ff td, am guessing it will be an fg minority for a year or two before another election.

MHR is really impressive without his usual shtick. Lisa Chambers is one to watch too

Advertisement