Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭emo72

a man that watches the gilmore girls? there was some weird stuff on the show tonight, and i thought we hit max weirdness with yer wan, than a guy says he watches gilmore girls? the show where the women talk incessantly? clucking bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why come back from an advert break to look at a couple of newspaper headlines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭franglan

emo72 wrote: »
    a man that watches the gilmore girls? there was some weird stuff on the show tonight, and i thought we hit max weirdness with yer wan, than a guy says he watches gilmore girls? the show where the women talk incessantly? clucking bell.

So many more options if you are waiting for the news at 1. Kilroy, Trisha, Bargain Hunt et al...
    Him saying he stills has a glass of wine but only one. As my teacher used to say "the man who can have two pints and go home is some man"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If alcoholism is a disease, it's one where we have an effective and complete cure that costs nothing.
    I'm p1ssed off with people who can't control their drinking saying it's because they have a 'disease'. It's just a matter of self-control.

Where did they dredge up this guy to comment on the Alcohol Bill?
    He was drinking 3 bottles of wine, a few pints and the odd whiskey in the ordinary day.
    Hardly a representative case.
    Big journalism fail RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I thinking that Sharkey is a racist!..............or is it possible that a black person can be racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

How would he know? He's from Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I thinking that Sharkey is a racist!..............or is it possible that a black person can be racist?

Bizarre rant on his part, like the brexiteers of minority backgrounds banging on about taking back our borders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Claire Byrne show would be much better without Claire Byrne

He will to go to pains to say how Irish he is but yeah it was pretty much I'm black so it's not racist. Quick to mention the banks etc but no mention of all the folks who left for foreign shores and welcomed and given jobs there in the US or Oz during the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

Sharkey has the right insight and hasn't been brainwashed by media on multiculturalism. He rightly spoke out against it and he stood up for the white race, the race which is being constantly undermined and under attack in many ways, unlike asians, blacks etc. White europeans will become a minority group in most european countries soon, we will soon realize all that we once had is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair play to sharkey he might be a td yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Fair play to sharkey he might be a td yet

If a TD said what Sharkey said, he would be hounded out of his job by the Twitterati. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Coveney was terrible last night, he couldn't defend Francis, no one could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Coveney was terrible last night, he couldn't defend Francis, no one could

And this is the fella who ran for the leadership-gawd.

Not that Leo did much better in comparison.

Watched it tonight-talking about the lads getting married because of tax.

What was the point of Aisling O'Loughlin being there? It became like a sketch in The Onion, as soon as the poll results were shown, she changed her mind.
    Also, her commenting on marriage-seemed odd, since she's never been married.

Was pretty darn funny to see this whole 'debate' on marriage on Claire Byrne's show. I mean, Claire is the last one you'd want to talk to about marriage. She's ruined three, including her own.

Kevin Myers-a few decent points, but still dodging around what he wrote.

The choir was pretty bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

What was the point of Aisling O'Loughlin being there? It became like a sketch in The Onion, as soon as the poll results were shown, she changed her mind.

Was pretty darn funny to see this whole 'debate' on marriage on Claire Byrne's show. I mean, Claire is the last one you'd want to talk to about marriage. She's ruined three, including her own.

I thought Myers came across as a really unlikeable person and done himself no favours.

Glebee wrote: »
    I thought Myers came across as a really unlikeable person and done himself no favours.

Nothing new there, tbh. He's bitter he finally got called out on his crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Glebee wrote: »

I thought he made an interesting point about the way people instantly react on social media to commentaries on TV and radio, in columns and opinion pieces online and in print media, without taking time to read and understand what is being said.

A recent example would be where in a discussion on school enrolment policies, on the Claire Byrne show earlier this year, The Journal did a fact check on what Maria Steen stated on the show, where they concluded that she was not accurate in what she said.

Maria Steen contacted The Journal to clarify the point she made on the show, and The Journal then changed the conclusion of its fact check and conceded that she was correct in what she had stated on the show, where she had referenced an ESRI study that was endorsed by Educate Together.

Yet, despite The Journal stating clearly that it's original conclusion in its fact check was wrong, one of the posters in the comments under the factcheck item said "Very disappointing to see The Journal give in to Steen/Iona on this".

This person clearly did not take the time to read the article, or listen to what Maria Steen had stated on the show, where Paul Rowe of Educate Together tried to say that Maria Steen had inaccurately quoted a statement in an ESRI report, a report that he had endorsed.

The person who said they were disappointed with The Journal re-evaluating its factcheck about what Maria Steen had stated, I would guess, had a prejudice against her because of the stance, that the Iona Institute's speakers take, on various issues.

The issue was, that what Steen had stated about the Educate Together / ESRI report, detailing statistics about the backgrounds of students attending schools with a religious ethos, and students attending schools with no religious ethos, is in the report that had been endorsed by Educate Together. She had read out, during the show, a particular paragraph to emphasise her point. A press release at the time of the publication of the report, included a quote from Paul Rowe, endorsing the report.

I guess the point Kevin Myers was making was that a lot of people would have an inaccurate perception of his views on various issues, and he gave the example of being labelled as denying the Holocaust, and he replied to that, by stating that he has written regularly about World War 2, including about the Holocaust.

I guess people just hear what they want to hear, and are more concerned about their own opinions.

Another good example is when Mick Wallace TD tweeted about the Paris attacks a few years ago, where he said that the attacks were awful, but he also made an important point about the foreign military policy of countries like France, in Middle Eastern countries.

Regina Doherty tweeted an ignorant ill informed reply about what Mick Wallace had said, but as usual with Regina Doherty, she just spouted out some nonsense, condemning him for what he said, without taking the time to understand the point he was making - that western military forces are contributing towards the destabilization of Middle Eastern countries, by selling arms to neighbouring countries, and bombing different locations, where they'll never know how many people they have killed, or even who they killed.

Jerry Buttimer didn't bother trying to understand the point Wallace was making, either.

http://www.thejournal.ie/mick-wallace-tweet-paris-attacks-criticism-2445033-Nov2015/

https://www.her.ie/news/mick-wallace-sparks-outrage-with-sickening-tweet-about-paris-attacks-264827

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/paris-terror-attacks/paris-terror-attacks-mick-wallace-sparks-anger-on-twitter-over-paris-terror-attacks-tweet-34199723.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO5vsJv5Xgs

http://www.thejournal.ie/catholic-primary-schools-diversity-divestment-facts-ireland-3252590-Mar2017/

https://www.educatetogether.ie/sites/default/files/school_sector_variation.pdf

https://www.esri.ie/publications/school-sector-variation-among-primary-schools-in-ireland/

http://www.esri.ie/news/new-report-on-diversity-in-primary-schools-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Why should married people only have a valid opinion on marriage?

The comments on Claire Byrne are just mean and childish.

Pfffft....

'Is Oprah going to be president...'

It was one damn speech, one...she's made tons of speeches.
    We've had enough of TV billionaires...for the love of Crud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pfffft....

'Is Oprah going to be president...'

It was one damn speech, one...she's made tons of speeches.
    We've had enough of TV billionaires...for the love of Crud.

RTE might even give a minute each day of the news for an update on her. I'd bet Don will get a 2nd term, he has the economy sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This should be fun with looper cancer cures.

This should be fun with looper cancer cures.

Yeah, and I already know that that they are 'pro-medicine', since its 2 on one side, 1 on the other. Oh God...Ian O'Doherty...

Sorry, no offence, but he's not a doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They should not be giving homeopaths a platform on this show.

Also, why is Ian O'Doherty on this?

RTE might even give a minute each day of the news for an update on her. I'd bet Don will get a 2nd term, he has the economy sorted.

Yeah, pretty much. I think he'll be able to maintain a second term, provided he chooses to. (I know the former Washington reporter for RTE has said he's going the full term).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Jesus, this is the pits. Using a current affairs show to plug DWTS.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Jesus, this is the pits. Using a current affairs show to plug DWTS.

And pointless...more pointless than DWTS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

What was the point of that Aidan O'Mahoney piece exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

murpho999 wrote: »
    They should not be giving homeopaths a platform on this show.

Also, why is Ian O'Doherty on this?

The voice of reason !

• Advertisement

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    The voice of reason !

They mucked that up again...God.

Emphasis the darn benefits of medicine, instead they undermine the points of the trained pros.

Advertisement