Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,327 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps Michael D was watching Spain V England on the box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

That's it Gavin worry about everyone else not yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Pretzill wrote: »
    Joan won this debate.

Easily the best out of that lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Duffy would've been better focusing on himself and not others. Lost points there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

It would have been better Craic altogether if Gemma O’Doherty had got a nomination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Powerful ending by Casey. Whatever about MDH Gallagher has serious serious notions about himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

spurshero wrote: »
    Why dosent Micheal d give up the salary ? Sure he’s a millionaire as well . Anybody that thinks he isn’t is deluding themselves

He's taken a 20% cut from the outset or something.

But he's not the one that challenges others on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I thought Sean Gallagher came across very well tonight but I’ll still be voting Michael D after he knocked it out of the park again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Hoping Gavin Duffy says "I'm out."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,327 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Odds on Paddy Power says it all...

Michael D Higgins 1/33

Sean Gallagher 14/1

Joan Freeman 25/1

Liadh Ni Riada 33/1

Gavin Duffy 33/1

Peter Casey 500/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

With his poppy on! :)
    Perhaps Michael D was watching Spain V England on the box?

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I thought Sean Gallagher came across very well tonight but I’ll still be voting Michael D after he knocked it out of the park again.

You have to hand it to him, he was faultless tonight. I'll give him 11/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Odds on Paddy Power says it all...

Michael D Higgins 1/33

Sean Gallagher 14/1

Joan Freeman 25/1

Liadh Ni Riada 33/1

Gavin Duffy 33/1

Peter Casey 500/1

A tenner on Joan wouldnt be a bad punt for ousider chasers. She swayed me .

This isn't a presidental election , it's deciding whether we want to continue funding the Michael D benevolent fund

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

How would polls and actual vote change, if Michael D. took sick/ill in the coming week.
    Would the reminder of his age and vulnerability to illness lead to enough of a change mind for the 70%, and if so who would benefit the most?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Such a waste of airtime and the other candidate's money.

MDH is a shoo in and they all know it now.

The only consolation is that Mise Eire SF candidate is stuck in the tracks like the rest of them. But that depends on your voting preference I suppose, since the others have no party behind them.

God what a fkn yawn almighty. For what?

Hurrache wrote: »
    He's taken a 20% cut from the outset or something.

But he's not the one that challenges others on it.

It’s also possible he’s giving plenty to charity, privately. If he were to make likes of that known publicly in the way Tubridy let us all know he visited Emma Mhic Mhathúna on her deathbed, it wouldn’t go down well either. I can’t imagine that he isn’t personally generous in this way.

How would polls and actual vote change, if Michael D. took sick/ill in the coming week.
    Would the reminder of his age and vulnerability to illness lead to enough of a change mind for the 70%, and if so who would benefit the most?

He could crawl to victory with the lead he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Genghis

Joan the winner, best debater and most sincere.

As the only professional politician I thought Liadh was only average.

Gavin I think will come last, says a lot he used his last word to deflect.

Peter was indeed good craic, at least seems genuine but he himself would surely be surprised if he ended up anywhere close to the top 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Joan playing the victim. "people are criticising me for taking money from a man I've known for 40 years, wah wah wah".

People are criticising her because she took 130,000 from a man who is one of the people at the head of a multinational pyramid scheme that is literally ruining millions of peoples lives, driving people to suicide, destroying families, marriages and relationships, and she runs a fecking charity which aims to support people who are suicidal or bereaved by suicide. It's pricks like him that will keep her opening more offices.

And now we have a President. Cue the inauguration.

MDH will have no problem, he has done it before. He knows the drill.

So boring.

• Advertisement

This isn't a presidental election , it's deciding whether we want to continue funding the Michael D benevolent fund[/QUOTE??]

So all of the other presidential hopefuls would work for free for the next 7 years ? Yeah right !

One thing MDH is not is materialistic. He has spent as many years working in 3rd world communities as he has here . He is not into fast cars, fancy restaurants, expensive foreign holidays, houses all over the world , fancy clothes. We know NOTHING about the Dragons apart from the fact they are obsessed with money , & none of the candidates have done anything memorable in the last 7 years (apart from Joan Freeman)

Genghis wrote: »
    Joan the winner, best debater and most sincere.

As the only professional politician I thought Liadh was only average.

Gavin I think will come last, says a lot he used his last word to deflect.

Peter was indeed good craic, at least seems genuine but he himself would surely be surprised if he ended up anywhere close to the top 3.

I’d say Liadh would be a “safe” dullish President, but well able to enunciate in both English and Irish.

This isn't a presidental election , it's deciding whether we want to continue funding the Michael D benevolent fund[/QUOTE??.

So all of the other presidential hopefuls would work for free for the next 7 years ? Yeah right !

One thing MDH is not is materialistic. He has spent as many years working in 3rd world communities as he has here . He is not into fast cars, fancy restaurants, expensive foreign holidays, houses all over the world , fancy clothes. We know NOTHING about the Dragons apart from the fact they are obsessed with money , & none of the candidates have done anything memorable in the last 7 years (apart from Joan Freeman)

Well.... he has obfuscated WRT to Freedom of Information about the costs of the Aras and will not budge on that score. So go figure my dear.

Well.... he has obfuscated WRT to Freedom of Information about the costs of the Aras and will not budge on that score. So go figure my dear.

In depth interview with Michael D on Newstalk on Saturday , I was very happy with his answers to all questions on costs, expenses and finances. Remember this has been the situation for decades, Michael D did not invent these expenses. Mary McAleese and Mary Robinson also got them . Were they questioned and scrutinized?

I’m happy with Michael D and will be voting for him so that’s all that matters.

Go Figure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Genghis wrote: »
    Seems Casey knew the woman. Wonder what the background is?

This is how he knows her (sitting right behind her):

Must put a fiver or so on one of the candidates, I have a Paddy Power account with a bit of accumulated past winnings on several years of little Eurovision winnings. Blew €20 (the max I ever risked as I thought I was on a sure thing) on the wrong Brexit choice, so not as clued in politically as I am on Eurovision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

spurshero wrote: »
    Why dosent Micheal d give up the salary ? Sure he’s a millionaire as well . Anybody that thinks he isn’t is deluding themselves

Would you go to work everyday for no wage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

As far as I know, FOI does not apply to the Office of President. That is the law and not something the incumbent can override. Aras an Uachtarain has published details of its costs in 2017 and are available here https://president.ie/en/about/organisational-information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

so why should we all vote for Sean sidestep Gallagher? we know what Higgins has done. But does Sean think he's beyond the debate show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

mystic86 wrote: »
    This is how he knows her (sitting right behind her):

Brilliant stuff.
    Who is she.

Advertisement