Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

Count me in!

Fond memories of the booze cruise era, not that I was buying booze when 15, which was first time I was allowed go overseas for the day all by myself (actually I had a 13 year old cousin in my charge) which was ever so exciting! Went to Llandudno, bought a cheap mini radio there, went up the cable ride, swam in the warm waters of sunny west beach. I felt very proud having been there and back at 15 in the mid 70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

The Garda issued device cost circa €1000, one for each of the 2 million houses in the country would cost €2billion, slightly more than the oul Millenium candles ;)
    1000e???

I find that rather difficult to believe but i'll take your word for it.

An issue still exists though where people simply don't know when they are safe to drive the day after. I tried one of those cheap breatalisers years ago after an amount of drink where i should definately have failed..... but i passed.

Degag wrote: »
    1000e???

I find that rather difficult to believe but i'll take your word for it.

An issue still exists though where people simply don't know when they are safe to drive the day after. I tried one of those cheap breatalisers years ago after an amount of drink where i should definately have failed..... but i passed.

Oh you want to keep the instrument calibrated? That will cost too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

This is a very fine young man being interviewed. Edit-his mother has s most unfortunate name “Fanny Binder” to Anglophone ears

Still not as unfortunate a name as the German (??) alpine skier Fanny Chmelar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is there some kind of competition to see how many subjects can be jammed in to each show?

Its ruined the show IMO. They used to just cover about 3 topics in depth per show and it was mainly current affairs focused. Now they seem to have about 6 or 7 segments that need to be rushed through as Claire hops from stage to stage to audience back to stage again. Also about half the segments are some sort of lifestyle bull**** or things like some lad in the audience whose sheep had three identical lambs. Its really gone downhill, rare I bother tuning in anymore unless there is nothing else on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

2 will do, 5 don't drive, lol.

"Two will do" is a fine principle and one I adhered to for more than 20 years of safe, legal driving after popping into the pub next door to work for a relaxant 9or two) after a hard week's work.

The "don't drive after five" was a spoof by comedian David Mitchell which was picked up by a Garda Assistant Commissioner :eek::eek: and presented as an example of what official attitudes used to be like. If your argument requires blatant lies to make it stick, well don't be surprised if people react angrily to it.

The "Five don't drive" slogan is the anti-drink lobby's equivalent of the Brexiteers NHS bus.

Complete bull****.

Never ever get drunk and drive
    Two will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,328 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Never ever get drunk and drive
    Two will do

Tell that to the officer doing the breath test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Tell that to the officer doing the breath test.

I know it's not what the law is; it's what the law should be.

It's what the law was and those sticking to it were behaving reasonably and driving as safely as any non-drinker, all other things being equal. What the new restrictions do is penalise the reasonable drinkers without in any extra way discommoding the truly reckless.

Healy-Rae is right on this. For once.

M

Homeless 'industry' getting some light shined on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Homeless 'industry' getting some light shined on it.

What’s happening?

• Advertisement
    M

What’s happening?

Lad from Focus Ireland in answering questions in response to the guy on last weeks show questioning how the homeless crisis is being dealt with in Ireland.

M

She probably spends €40 a week on petrol driving her waste to the recycling centres but her waste charges are zero :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

She probably spends €40 a week on petrol driving her waste to the recycling centres but her waste charges are zero :pac:
    She buys a new loaf and puts it into a dirty bag. ? seriously ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Lad from Focus Ireland in answering questions in response to the guy on last weeks show questioning how the homeless crisis is being dealt with in Ireland.

I take it they aren’t been asked any hard questions?

I'd say that black bin bloody stinks. Disgusting

Cloth nappies cause nappy rash. Ask any doctor.

M

These need to be properly fact checked, they have more faults than Triggers 20 year old brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Some craic around their gaffs over the Christmas I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,928 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He more or less got free run to say whatever he wanted.

Seemed strange to allow this guy to shoot down everything that was said last week, without the guy being able to defend himself.

Would have made more sense to have both of them on to debate it.

I would have loved to have a few questions about ceo salary, how many staff they have and total wage costs each year etc. None of that.

NIMAN wrote: »

He more or less got free run to say whatever he wanted.

Seemed strange to allow this guy to shoot down everything that was said last week, without the guy being able to defend himself.

Would have made more sense to have both of them on to debate it.

I would have loved to have a few questions about ceo salary, how many staff they have and total wage costs each year etc. None of that.
    Brother Kevin takes no wages at all. Unlike the other charities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The capuchin Centre is the only charity I donate to, the rest are all ideological leftists connected to some broader agenda driven political outfit or other

M

What time does the vote happen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

What an annoying little creature that Richmond fellow is?

Vlad, Covetous, and he have no statesman like qualities, and their diplomatic stance towards the UK is horrendous.

UK are leaving without a deal - good for them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What an annoying little creature that Richmond fellow is?

Vlad, Covetous, and he have no statesman like qualities, and their diplomatic stance towards the UK is horrendous.

UK are leaving without a deal - good for them!!

The UK, in the form of that contributor, are lying through their teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,928 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They are more business than charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ted Walsh spreading the myth that most of Ireland's exports go to the UK.

So most would mean 51%. UK is not even our no 1 market. The USA is at 26.8% of all Irish Exports.

UK next at 13.5%. Very important but not most as many people believe.

Link

M

NIMAN wrote: »
    They are more business than charity.

There was a study some time back saying current spend/budget of all charities equates to €30k per homeless person per year, utter utter crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,401 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If only we could find thousands of other people with no family to support and food and lodging provided by other charities, we could replicate that approach across the sector.

M

Lol we are as ready as we can be for Brexit, eh no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The governent representative has a very complicated way of saying "I don't know."

Advertisement