Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,328 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If only there was a book called 'The Rules Of The Road', if only.

M

Bringing someone on the show who doesn't actually drive to comment on driving, yes what a plan.

M

Eh the motorways are the safest roads in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

there will be a hard boarder if there is no deal the government are in de Nile river

M

Ffs, their legal team should be locked up for laying blame with Child's Play movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

To cut short a discussion on Brexit for that crap about elderly drivers was ridiculous

And one of the panelists admittedly not even a driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

fergus1001 wrote: »
    there will be a hard boarder if there is no deal the government are in de Nile river

One thing that this whole Brexit thingy has exposed is how few people know how to spell "border".

This lad is a bad coward.. there is little justification for not talking to those parents in advance. Even as a mannerly courtesy.

Eager to see his awards

'success comes with its baggage'

Uuuuggghh

M

One of them was done again multiple times for going off the rails, millions spent on rehabilitating him, such a waste.

M

Eco Eye, another one sided beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

lawred2 wrote: »
    This lad is a bad coward.. there is little justification for not talking to those parents in advance. Even as a mannerly courtesy.

Eager to see his awards

I don't see why he should have to.

Did journalists consult the family about every article they wrote about the murder.

I think it's true to say that they would have influenced his work.

I do't like the idea of boycotts of this film or calls for bans just because the film is about a difficult subject matter.

There are plenty of films about terrible murders and also about terrible events such as The Holocaust that are truly disturbing but the story has to be told.

Should we just ban then as well?

murpho999 wrote: »

Did journalists consult the family about every article they wrote about the murder.

I do't like the idea of boycotts of this film or calls for bans just because the film is about a difficult subject matter.

There are plenty of films about terrible murders and also about terrible events such as The Holocaust that are truly disturbing but the story has to be told.

Don't see where I mentioned banning anything..

Nor did I say he should 'have' to do anything. Shur nobody ever has to do anything.

But in my eyes it's lacking in a bit of common decency to not even once contact any of those most deeply affected.

You don't agree - no worries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I have to agree, James Bulger's mother has made it clear over the years she won't cooperate with any movies/documentaries on James's murder so what would be the point of trying to arrange a meeting?

It's a shocking murder but also very interesting in trying to understand what would drive two 10 year old kids to do something like that.

I don't think this is any worse than plenty of other movies made over the years

Don't see where I mentioned banning anything..

Nor did I say he should 'have' to do anything. Shur nobody ever has to do anything.

But in my eyes it's lacking in a bit of common decency to not even once contact any of those most deeply affected.

You don't agree - no worries

I don't agree with your point that he has to contact the family and I understand his reasons for not doing it as he explained last night.

As for the rest I'm just contributing to the conversation and calls by some for the film to be banned and/or boycotted that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Censorship comes in many guises and should be resisted, politely, if necessary. What we have here is a brave film maker and I think brave art/film making needs to be encouraged, in this day and age especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Agree with you 100%. Couldn't believe that he didn't have the manners to contact those people given the nature of the movie and incident. He's going to get what he wants; i.e. lots of money, media attention and fame, out of it and Ireland will get a mention at the awards ceremonies.

Berserker wrote: »
    Agree with you 100%. Couldn't believe that he didn't have the manners to contact those people given the nature of the movie and incident. He's going to get what he wants; i.e. lots of money, media attention and fame, out of it and Ireland will get a mention at the awards ceremonies.

Why should he?

What would it achieve as they would just say no.

Films should not be made because a family find it upsetting?

Why should he?

What would it achieve as they would just say no.

Films should not be made because a family find it upsetting?

Who said anything about permission?

Respond to what is posted - not what you think was posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He should have made contact first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,403 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bringing someone on the show who doesn't actually drive to comment on driving, yes what a plan.
    You think that's bad? Prime Time are bringing on a comedy writer to comment on transgender issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I didn't think the day would ever come that I would be agreeing with anything Fintan O Toole said but he was spot on last night.

If that Helen McEntee one is the best person we can come up with to discuss Brexit then we're rightly fooked.

As for the SF lad that was on, another fella in cloud cuckoo land.

You think that's bad? Prime Time are bringing on a comedy writer to comment on transgender issues.

When you write for a living, is that all you are? Can you not become interested/passionate about something else?

Ridiculous complaint there tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I didn't think the day would ever come that I would be agreeing with anything Fintan O Toole said but he was spot on last night.

If that Helen McEntee one is the best person we can come up with to discuss Brexit then we're rightly fooked.

As for the SF lad that was on, another fella in cloud cuckoo land.

She was dire. I get the impression that the Irish politicans have been sitting back smiling away at the fun in London, when they should be planning for Brexit themselves.

I've long given up on SF when it comes to Brexit. For a suppos'd all island party, they have been beyond woeful on the topic. Their lack of knowledge is something to behold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's not so long since Helen McEntee was on with Ray Darcy telling us how she was going to sort out the countries mental health and suicide problems. Dropped it like a hot spud when the new portfolio came along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Censorship comes in many guises and should be resisted, politely, if necessary. What we have here is a brave film maker and I think brave art/film making needs to be encouraged, in this day and age especially.

I'd hardly call him brave. If he went undercover with hidden cameras to make a documentary about political corruption in Russia that would be brave. But acquiring the transcipts of the interviews in the Bulger case is not brave, its smart. It was a case that astounded the world so dramaitising it was always going to be a winner. He's got an Oscar nomination now so its worked. Agree with you about the censorship thing but think its a bit stretched to be calling him brave as a documentary maker.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'd hardly call him brave. If he went undercover with hidden cameras to make a documentary about political corruption in Russia that would be brave. But acquiring the transcipts of the interviews in the Bulger case is not brave, its smart. It was a case that astounded the world so dramaitising it was always going to be a winner. He's got an Oscar nomination now so its worked. Agree with you about the censorship thing but think its a bit stretched to be calling him brave as a documentary maker.

Many would not have touched this subject matter. And he has taken more flak than praise because most of the twitteratti outrage mob haven't actually seen it and are just responding to another bugle call to arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

sligojoek wrote:
    It's not so long since Helen McEntee was on with Ray Darcy telling us how she was going to sort out the countries mental health and suicide problems. Dropped it like a hot spud when the new portfolio came along.

True but in her defense on that one it's something she could relate too after the passing of her father due to Suicide though she received the sympathy vote and took his seat the next time around so the public get what they deserve to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Aska wrote: »
    True but in her defense on that one it's something she could relate too after the passing of her father due to Suicide though she received the sympathy vote and took his seat the next time around so the public get what they deserve to an extent.

I hear you. All the more reason for her to stay in the portfolio. She promised Darcy she'd come back in 2 yrs time with a progress report. That was in summer 2016. Maybe Leo moved her and she had no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,403 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When you write for a living, is that all you are? Can you not become interested/passionate about something else?

Ridiculous complaint there tbh.
    Interested and passionate? Is that the bar to get on the flagship current affairs programme to cover an extremely sensitive topic that involves a high suicide rate and most serious mental health issues?

Jaysus, if interested/passionate is the requirement to be on Prime Time, then they should be inviting me on it every couple of weeks. But they don't.

Is it entirely crazy to suggest that for a flagship current affairs show, maybe you should have people who have some expertise in the matter, or some experience in the matter?

• Advertisement

Interested and passionate? Is that the bar to get on the flagship current affairs programme to cover an extremely sensitive topic that involves a high suicide rate and most serious mental health issues?

Jaysus, if interested/passionate is the requirement to be on Prime Time, then they should be inviting me on it every couple of weeks. But they don't.

Is it entirely crazy to suggest that for a flagship current affairs show, maybe you should have people who have some expertise in the matter, or some experience in the matter?

It wasn't trying to set 'best practice' or propose treatment which would have required expertise in certain fields.

It was essentially a vox pop on the issues with talking heads. And Linehan talked some sense about it.

Calm down, you are giving to much importance to this particular segment.

Advertisement