Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,403 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

:) This is the real world, like it or not, Linehan's name has purchase. People like him will be sought out if they have a stance.
    This wasn't a debate on a referendum, it was a segment designed to flesh out to an unaware audience, what the issues are.
    I am long enough in the tooth to know that one person's rant is another's rational opinion. The remit is and should be, to air all views.

Air all views? Really? So any kind of racist, misogynist, transphobic rant should be presented to the general public? Personally, I'd expect a professional public service broadcaster to have some kind of editorial role, to look for evidence over opinion - but perhaps my standards are higher than yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Air all views? Really? So any kind of racist, misogynist, transphobic rant should be presented to the general public? Personally, I'd expect a professional public service broadcaster to have some kind of editorial role, to look for evidence over opinion - but perhaps my standards are higher than yours.

Again we come to the word 'threshold' and it depends what yours is I suppose. Generally I am not afraid of opinions and I pride myself on owning my own mind. It's kinda required after the watershed.
    Farage is on tonight - he has been accused of racism for instance. Have you rung in to complain or will you just watch and process it?
    Actually, don't answer that, I think we are done here. I am anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,328 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hard border will be mandatory without a trade deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Farage knows damn well he is going to "come back and fight them again" - Is anyone going to listen to anything he has to say on any other topic? What's his career going to be when everyone stops talking about Brexit? Where's he going to get a radio show to talk about the state of political affairs in Mogadishu!

And why didnt they have Flanagan and Farage debate together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Farage thinks there will be an Irexit? Not in his hole does he ever believe such a thing.

Edit: The UK Brexit mess has shown us that any such thing would a total catastrophe for this county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hard border will be mandatory without a trade deal.

Of course it is. Think of this scenario and how it effects us.

UK supplier buys in produce from outside EU legally for UK, but without EU knowledge. Ships it to NI, it comes down south and then out into the EU.

No checks or balances if no border.

If the EU got wind of it, all Irish produce would be subject to extra checks and an effective border, hindering our legal seemless trade with the EU.

The UK wouldn't give a damn but we will be destroyed from a trade point of view.

Cynical point of view but considering how the UK ministers have been very two faced in all negotiations with the EU, we should watch them carefully.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Farage knows damn well he is going to "come back and fight them again" - Is anyone going to listen to anything he has to say on any other topic? What's his career going to be when everyone stops talking about Brexit? Where's he going to get a radio show to talk about the state of political affairs in Mogadishu!

It was hard enough to interview him on that connection much less have a debate. :)
    He just mouths platitudes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,403 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Again we come to the word 'threshold' and it depends what yours is I suppose. Generally I am not afraid of opinions and I pride myself on owning my own mind. It's kinda required after the watershed.
    Farage is on tonight - he has been accused of racism for instance. Have you rung in to complain or will you just watch and process it?
    Actually, don't answer that, I think we are done here. I am anyhow.

There's no question of being 'afraid of opinion'. I'm not afraid of Linehan's opinion. I know that it has no place in a news programme. Facts, evidence, personal experience are all relevant. Twitter warrior comedy writers are not relevant, unless the topic is comedy.

Farage isn't on Prime Time - he's on Claire Byrne, a different show. Having said that, I've no idea why BBC and now RTE continue to give him oxygen. He has no mandate, no party, no base.

M

Access to some fresh perishable goods would be compromised for this country too if we get a hard border.

I'm shocked by those stats re united Ireland. 1K of a sample is a bit small. If ever a thing were to happen we'd have a resurgence of Loyalists terrorists and who wants that.

• Advertisement
    M

Ffs, doesn't even know where the poll was run from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Don't mention a united Ireland to an FG-er....he'll combust

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

As suspected the Clair Byrne Amarach poll thing is useless from a statistical view point, samples/questions most weeks are awfully chosen.

M

jay0109 wrote: »
    Don't mention a united Ireland to an FG-er....he'll combust

Wonder was it him or Farage who decided they wouldn't converse directly tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,929 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

jogdish wrote: »
    As suspected the Clair Byrne Amarach poll thing is useless from a statistical view point, samples/questions most weeks are awfully chosen.

And Claire herself didn't even know about the makeup of the poll.

One minute it has asked NI residents, then it hasn't.

M

Ulster farmers are fecked.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'm shocked by those stats re united Ireland. 1K of a sample is a bit small. If ever a thing were to happen we'd have a resurgence of Loyalists terrorists and who wants that.

You are suprised Irish people would chose a UI over a hard border...where have you been for the last 100 years? :rolleyes:

Farage isn't on Prime Time - he's on Claire Byrne, a different show. Having said that, I've no idea why BBC and now RTE continue to give him oxygen. He has no mandate, no party, no base.

He was/is the leading voice for Brexit and to starve him of oxygen doesn't sound very democratic to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Laois_Man wrote: »

Farage is not one to ever shy away from a debate, its obvious to me that Charlie Flanagan refused to debate him

M

Exactly, that's why you need a hard border.

• Advertisement

You are suprised Irish people would chose a UI over a hard border...where have you been for the last 100 years? :rolleyes:

A hard border does not necessarily imply a return to the old days. Or do you know that it will for a certainty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Why does she keep assuming the British would or should care about us in all this? When she asked Nigel Farage did he not think about how it would all affect us I thought it was a satirical version of the show. He did well not to laugh at her.

AllForIt wrote: »
    A hard border does not necessarily imply a return to the old days. Or do you know that it will for a certainty?

The 'old days' as you call them came about after the border campaign. After years of tensions there, posts burned and shot at and then we descended into all out conflict.
    I live smack on the border and I am seeing massive tensions build here about what is ahead.
    I am certain it will be deeply destabilising and that anything could happen as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I do not want a united Ireland personally.

M

The media regularly take photos of bereaved families at funerals without seeking any permission whatsoever, I find that every bit as much of an invasion of privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Aaaand now we're into the lazy 'technology is bad!' segment, when the real problem is that some people are just cúnts. When someone shoots someone, you don't lock up the gun.

The media regularly take photos of bereaved families at funerals without seeking any permission whatsoever, I find that every bit as much of an invasion of privacy.

RTE News showed a prolonged picture of the car in the Donegal accident tonight. I think that is a horrific thing for a family member to see, bad enough for us who are unconnected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fr Brian Darcy on Brexit?

Time to turn the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Feel very sorry for denise.

• Advertisement

Would they be on here if they were getting a cheque and royalties?

Advertisement