Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

That was a grueling watch.

Can’t even imagine what that poor family are going through day after day.

The coverage of this story at the time was almost sympathetic to Hawe, calling him pillar of the community, etc.

What an absolute sham!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

jluv wrote: »
    Brave ladies..I think it's disgusting that the school have not revealed to the family what the issues were as it appears that was the thing that was the driving factor in him doing what he did..monster..

In fairness, until tonight, the school were probably completely unaware that the family have not been told all available information by the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Pints? wrote: »
    The priest insisted is what I've heard

Tell us. Where did you hear that juicy bit of gossip? Don’t you feel a little bit dirty there trying to shoehorn the church in here when the mother and sister never mentioned them? Are you a bit disappointed in that or what? You can’t resist the opportunity to have a go?

Laois_Man wrote: »
    In fairness, until tonight, the school were probably completely unaware of that the family have not been told all available information by the Gardai.

You’d think the head of school would at least send a card of condolence to the mother & sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Zeek12 wrote: »
    That was a grueling watch.

Can’t even imagine what that poor family are going through day after day.

The coverage of this story at the time was almost sympathetic to Hawe, calling him pillar of the community, etc.

What an absolute sham!

Agree. And it was an absolute insult to the many gentle souls who suffer from depression to suggest this is what he had.

• Advertisement

The 'presence' is so interesting.

Not saying they are Hawes but we all know bullies with that heavy presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

In fairness, until tonight, the school were probably completely unaware of that the family have not been told all available information by the Gardai.

It's a small community, I would doubt that.
    I would imagine only the principal or a single member of staff knew what he had done and was going to reveal/take the next step.
    I don't see how, if it was generally known, it won't have filtered through to the family.
    There is also the possibility that the info is injunctioned by somebody or some state agency.

There has to be a label for everything today.

You just can't say he's an evil fcuker. No 'psychological' labels needed.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Tell us. Where did you hear that juicy bit of gossip? Don’t you feel a little bit dirty there trying to shoehorn the church in here when the mother and sister never mentioned them? Are you a bit disappointed in that or what? You can’t resist the opportunity to have a go?

I live quite close to the area and that was widely reported at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

A beast, words fail me, we still have a bad problem in this country of brushing difficult stuff under the carpet particularly in rural ireland, I don’t know why that is, a legacy of an ireland that Protected paedophiles and outright bastards that still lingers, this family deserve to know everything from the guards and the school,incredibly brave of them to do the interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

In fairness, until tonight, the school were probably completely unaware that the family have not been told all available information by the Gardai.
    Maybe so..but the feeling I got from the interview is that the family have been looking for answers from anyone so I would hope that the school would reach out and answer any questions that they could..just to me I find it amazing that 4 people are murdered, her sister is adamant that his returning to school the next day is a major factor and the family still don't know what the issue was at the school..

There was an interesting article on BBC breakfast this morning about a woman who suffered 36 years of coercive control at the hands of her husband until she took a hammer and hit him 22 times until he was dead one day 9 years ago. She’s been in prison ever since but their adult sons have worked tirelessly to gather evidence to prove that it was actually manslaughter with diminished responsibility, and hopefully she’ll be released on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It was reported at the time. https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/exclusive-body-cavan-teacher-alan-10391079.amp

The burial of the killer with his victims shocked much of Ireland at the time, with communities still reeling from news of the mass murder-suicide at Castlerahan, near Ballyjamesduff in Co Cavan.

Clodagh’s sister Jacqueline Connolly and her mother Mary Coll, had been guided by the Hawe’s family priest at the time, Fr Felim Kelly, but remained otherwise mostly isolated in their grief and with scant contact from the killer’s family.

Most of us here are disgusted at Alan’s decision to brutally murder his family in the most heinous way possible, but what gets you het up is the thought some may be trying to speak ill of the church. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Didn’t the school authorities put a note upon a door expressing sympathy for Hawe and the boys and Clodagh wasn’t even mentioned.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    I’d say if and when this “truth” comes out it will be quite shocking to say the least

What is the truth? About what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You can completely understand how someone who 'gets off' on controlling his family for years only to realize that ultimately he wasn't able to do so to his satisfaction that once this realization hit that he would loose the cool completely and administer the ultimate in control by killing them. Psychologically disturbed...I don't think so. He brought this all on himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Marengo wrote: »
    There has to be a label for everything today.

You just can't say he's an evil fcuker. No 'psychological' labels needed.

If I could thank this post a thousand times I would.

Posted this previously rebutting the 'psychotic break' excuse

Its made even worse knowing he had moved the furniture 2 months before the murders :(

He transferred monies into his personal account which left his family beneficiaries.
    He laid out all financial documents on the kitchen table
    He did this after he had murdered them.
    Not to mention planning of the murders, including clearing his path of attack of furniture, and his meticulous actions regarding his estate between murdering Clodagh and her children and his suicide

That’s not true. The priest wouldn’t have had any say so about where anyone was buried. His family were grief stricken and were grieving the children and clodagh as well and they would have wanted them all buried together.

TBF at the time it happened that was what was reported. Originally seen as a mental health issue and the local priest advised family to have them all buried together. Then Clodaghs family asked for him to be moved.

It was reported at the time. https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/exclusive-body-cavan-teacher-alan-10391079.amp

Clodagh’s sister Jacqueline Connolly and her mother Mary Coll, had been guided by the Hawe’s family priest at the time, Fr Felim Kelly, but remained otherwise mostly isolated in their grief and with scant contact from the killer’s family.

Most of us here are disgusted at Alan’s decision to brutally murder his family in the most heinous way possible, but what gets you het up is the thought some may be trying to speak ill of the church. :rolleyes:

You jumped from saying that the priest “insisted” that he be buried with his family to producing a daily mirror article in which the bereaved sister says that they got guidance in the funeral from the PP.
    But here, sure don’t let’s just blame the slaughter on Alan Hawe and his maniacal need to control,no, let’s blame the PP..... never ever miss an opportunity

If its true that he was caught masturbating on school premises then surely his job would have been at risk. If that got out the parents would have demanded he be sacked.
    Surely though if this is true the family would have heard it.
    I didn’t watch the show, did he admit in his note that he wore his wife’s underwear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pints?

You jumped from saying that the priest “insisted” that he be buried with his family to producing a daily mirror article in which the bereaved sister says that they got guidance in the funeral from the PP.
    But here, sure don’t let’s just blame the slaughter on Alan Hawe and his maniacal need to control,no, let’s blame the PP..... never ever miss an opportunity

Nobody is blaming PP. I didn't even know he had a gambling problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

More inaccuracies.I never said anyone “insisted” anything.. I actually said this:
    I’m sure they weren’t in the right mind tbh they had days to make a decision. And I’m sure I heard somewhere the priest requested they be buried together.
    I said what I had heard at the time, and turns out it was true. And pffft away with your accusations of shoehorning. First mention of the church and you jumped right in to finger wag and air your disgust before any mention of the deceased.

And nobody is blaming the PP, ffs. Nobody even made a judgement on the decision, we just relayed what we’d heard. To feck with your misguided outrage.

tretorn wrote: »
    If its true that he was caught masturbating on school premises then surely his job would have been at risk. If that got out the parents would have demanded he be sacked.
    I didn’t watch the show, did he admit in his note that he wore his wife’s underwear.

No, they found out after the inquiry and they didn't say how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Pints? wrote: »
    Nobody is blaming PP. I didn't even know he had a gambling problem...

You're not funny.

tretorn wrote: »

Clodaghs mam said that he did.

The priest spoke about visiting the family on Xmas day, this means he was close to Haugh.

In small towns it’s probably good to get in with the GAA crowd and the parish priest particularly if you are a teacher. The Priest may genuinely have thought Hawe had had a mental breakdown and so wasn’t responsible for his action due to insanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I hope the family get the answers to their questions, and access to the files they seek.

As they always have, they exude class and composure.

Claire Byrne is a real pro. She handled the interview so well. And the discussion afterwards. It's a heartbreaking story. I can't stop thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pints?

You're not funny.

In poor taste perhaps. Apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Did clodagh teach in the same school as him ?

Advertisement