Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Do you genuinely believe that? If the UK doesn't uphold the GFA they will be in breach of international law

Republicans are getting set for a return to terrorism again; intimidation of businesses in Newry, robbing bank ATMs etc. They'll break the agreement before anyone else.
    One part of me wants a no deal so we can see the EU stab us in the back with a hard border.

You can sense the lack of Irish love from the EU. That last chap from the EU just pointed the finger of blame at Ireland for it's lack of flexibility on the backstop. Was in Copenhagen for the weekend and a German couple we spoke to were less than enamored with Ireland. The Irish need to act like Europeans and they owe us an awful lot (referring to the bailout) were two points they made. They EU is using Ireland to get at the British because of Brexit. Anyone and everyone who thinks for themselves can see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

To cheap to give Claire a mic for this interview :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,330 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Berserker wrote: »
    You can sense the lack of Irish love from the EU. That last chap from the EU just pointed the finger of blame at Ireland for it's lack of flexibility on the backstop. Was in Copenhagen for the weekend and German couple we spoke to were less than enamored with Ireland. The Irish need to act like Europeans and they owe us an awful lot (referring to the bailouts) were two points they made. They EU is using Ireland to get at the British because of Brexit. Anyone and everyone who thinks for themselves can see that.

They seem to forget that we were stung for all the unsecured bank debt, still paying it off and will be for 40 or 50 years. We got no favours.

The Shiner is like a broken record.
    They seem to forget that we were stung for all the unsecured bank debt, still paying it off and will be for 40 or 50 years. We got no favours.

That couple didn't view the bailout like that. Seemed to think it like a gift from God. It was that or complete failure. Very interesting listening to their opinions on it.

Dear Claire,
    You need to challenge the current Brexit part man when he selectivly quotes and uses very iffy percentages. This will require you knowing your subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,743 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Republicans are getting set for a return to terrorism again; intimidation of businesses in Newry, robbing bank ATMs etc. They'll break the agreement before anyone else.

You can sense the lack of Irish love from the EU. That last chap from the EU just pointed the finger of blame at Ireland for it's lack of flexibility on the backstop. Was in Copenhagen for the weekend and a German couple we spoke to were less than enamored with Ireland. The Irish need to act like Europeans and they owe us an awful lot (referring to the bailout) were two points they made. They EU is using Ireland to get at the British because of Brexit. Anyone and everyone who thinks for themselves can see that.

It was such brilliance of the EU to get the British to suggest the backstop wasn't it!

M

I suppose if they leave and want to rejoin they will be rejoining using the Euro, no pain in the hole with currency conversions for us.

It's Westminster, Westminster, Westminster not Westminister. With all the talk of Brexit, how can people not get this.

M

Looks like a very warm sweaty studio, they must turn off the AC after midnight in Brussels.

I think some needs to inform the Brexit party guy there is a border with China, its fairly massive and is called the countries between UK and China.

• Advertisement

Let's put our differences aside here ladies and gents for a moment. Anyone else here think we'll be here this time next year talking about this? I get that feeling. TM is going to end up being the longest serving PM of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Theyve been extending these deadlines ever since they voted leave in 16'

November 2016
    March 2017
    November 2017
    March 2018
    June 2018
    November 2018
    March 2019
    April 2019

These are all the deadlines they made in which they were meane to leave EU

Just f*ck ofd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Theyve been extending these deadlines ever since they voted leave in 16'

November 2016
    March 2017
    November 2017
    March 2018
    June 2018
    November 2018
    March 2019
    April 2019

These are all the deadlines they made in which they were meane to leave EU

Just f*ck ofd

Wrong

March 29th 2019 was the first deadline

Next Friday is the second deadline

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Wrong

March 29th 2019 was the first deadline

Next Friday is the second deadline

Let's not let facts get in the way of a good old rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Do you genuinely believe that? If the UK doesn't uphold the GFA they will be in breach of international law

Problem is, there's nothing we can really do to them for it except hope that it makes other countries very reluctant to sign anything with them....which it might!
    The EU is using Ireland to get at the British because of Brexit. Anyone and everyone who thinks for themselves can see that.

Who says Ireland are not using the EU also?

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Who says Ireland are not using the EU also?

How would that be the case. The EU has Ireland over a barrel for the next 50 years or so.

How would that be the case. The EU has Ireland over a barrel for the next 50 years or so.

Ireland is the EU.
    Will you stop with the juvenile conspiracy theories - the big bad EU controlled by ze Germans and de frogs is a UKIP fantasy.

Is it just me of is the show really all over the place, far too many topics to cover and just seems like no editor to say, ya this is what we are talking about tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

jogdish wrote: »
    Is it just me of is the show really all over the place, far too many topics to cover and just seems like no editor to say, ya this is what we are talking about tonight.

Always been like that. Only thing that changed it is the Brexit specials recently as it let them concentrate on one subject. Usually it's all over the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I'm sure I saw that so called special by Nick Gleeson before on RTE

• Advertisement

Always been like that. Only thing that changed it is the Brexit specials recently as it let them concentrate on one subject. Usually it's all over the shop.

It is what it is at this stage and you know what you are getting.
    I quite like the format - a little bit like BBC Newsnight which can also have studio discussion on 5 or 6 topics of the day.

I know at this stage that all I am going to get is a taster of the issues of a given topic, and that is fine - if I wish to follow it up, then I can.

It is what it is at this stage and you know what you are getting.
    I quite like the format - a little bit like BBC Newsnight which can also have studio discussion on 5 or 6 topics of the day.

I know at this stage that all I am going to get is a taster of the issues of a given topic, and that is fine - if I wish to follow it up, then I can.

I often watch Newsnight and yes it sometimes is packed too, but - I assume this is the credit of the director - the show feels natural and coherent. While with Claire Byrne it feels like the staff were in a news sweet shop, oh that oh and this one and oh yes we need the human interest story and can't have a show without the smart phone panel and Notre Dame is burning but lets not cut anything but also sandwich that in too.

I better stop before I rant how much I dislike her presenting style too :(

I often watch Newsnight and yes it sometimes is packed too, but - I assume this is the credit of the director - the show feels natural and coherent. While with Claire Byrne it feels like the staff were in a news sweet shop, oh that oh and this one and oh yes we need the human interest story and can't have a show without the smart phone panel and Notre Dame is burning but lets not cut anything but also sandwich that in too.

I better stop before I rant how much I dislike her presenting style too :(

Maybe hit the BBC button!

She 'challenged' one guy on what powers he will have, but ultimately let him off the hook , why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

She 'challenged' one guy on what powers he will have, but ultimately let him off the hook , why?
    She totally did....there are 11 of us from fine Gael.

Errr thats nice...

M

Good to see some fire still left in Ian Paisley Junior, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

What a fool

Was there a referendum in Ireland on leaving the EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What a fool

Isnt he just. Northern Ireland could have the best of both worlds but the DUP idiots cant see past the sectarianism.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Isnt he just. Northern Ireland could have the best of both worlds.

He's no fool. He has the safest DUP seat in NI. Those words are music to his voters ears.

Advertisement