Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,330 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The media talking up Hurricane Lorenzo as some kind of end of days storm couldn't have come at a better time for Pascal and his carbon tax budget next Tuesday. If we all in this country go back to living in caves the weather will return to 'normal' for the entire world the following Tuesday, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Very poor show tonight but finally a real subject, the weather!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Red alert, red alert.. get bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Azatadine wrote: »
    Why the heck are they featuring this? Old news and misinforming too...

No idea, it was weird. But if he is not paying fuel duty then fair play to him. But to say it's friendly is wrong. MAYBE Co2 neutral but the Nox and PPM is much higher on Vegetable Oil, That's a fact. Good for climate, bad for anyone breathing in his fumes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Tonight was the worst ever Claire Byrne show. Ever. Bring back Today Tonight.

• Advertisement

00035f5a-372.jpg?w=640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's gone too tabloidy. Too many subjects. No time to discuss or debate anything properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

sligojoek wrote: »
    It's gone too tabloidy. Too many subjects. No time to discuss or debate anything properly.

Last time I saw this, it was like Prime Time

Today it was more like Brendan O'Connor's cutting edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Claire Byrne Live is getting as mad as Dublin Live when it comes to talking about weather - embarrassing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Claire Byrne Live is like CrimeCall-comedy gold at the best of times, painfully cringey at the worst.

Anyone notice they're using specific lighting on Claire Byrne, to make her look younger?

I turned in because they were going to be talking about mental health (a noteable topic-and one that I care greatly about). Unnfortunately it was RTE picking their guests from the canteen or the local school of quackology. (No mention of licensed individuals, just 'nutritionists'... not good RTE, not good.

But then I noticed the lighting on Claire was old timey lighting-the 'book light' lighting effect you'll see in old movies, sort of like a soft lighting effect, that makes actresses look younger than they are (and it was nearly always used on actresses, less so on actors-unless you wanted a specific look).
    When it cut to the other guests, they had no such lighting.

Even when it got to 'younger' presenter Blathnaid Tracey-she was made look decidedly older based on the lighting choice.
    If you go back and watch it, you'll see what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ShimSlady

All these people constantly talking publicly about themselves having anxiety is giving me major anxiety!!

I can just picture the RTE producers sitting around scratching their heads about how to fill 10 minutes of airtime.

"I know, i'll pop into the canteen to see who is experiencing anxiety this week"

She's on camera and all bashful lol

M

What colour was the car.

Never bring money to a viewing of a private sale car.

I never caught the colour .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,334 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Noel Rock setting himself up for a fall

M

Would not having 7 kids be a better environmental decision than worrying about how much washing powder to use.

M

10 metre water rise? Eh no.

Is someone trying to corner the market and buy up houses they say will flood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,744 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Has Gerard taken to the sauce with worry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭jackboy

10 metre water rise? Eh no.

Is someone trying to corner the market and buy up houses they say will flood?

Can’t believe Fleming is putting his name to this ****e.

Now he is calmly saying that limerick will be wiped out.

• Advertisement
    M

Is anyone allowed challenge this absolute garbage? A 10 metre rise of the sea would take almost the entire ice on the planet to melt in to the sea. These fools seem to think the sea will rise only around Dublin on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Is anyone allowed challenge this absolute garbage? A 10 metre rise of the sea would take almost the entire ice on the planet to melt in to the sea. These fools seem to think the sea will rise only around Dublin on its own.

I thought the science states 10 inches is what we are looking at...at worst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought they were Indian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Storm 10

When the rest of the World take part fine until then we are a pin prick on the map closing two power stations not going to save the World shocked by Gerry taking part in this rubbish

Not on RTE anyway. A few months ago when it was "Discovered" that Irish cows farting was the cause of the world's woes, Philip Boucher Hayes had one of the Healy Raes on Liveline. The HR was having none of it but was told by PBH that as "Global warming/Climate change" was happening, RTE would be taking on no more people with opposing views because it was "scientifically proven".

I see George Lee reporting from Greenland this evening. I wonder how he got there. It wasn't by rowboat anyway. Maybe he got a lift from Greta as she was sailing home.

As long as China, India, the USA and whoever else is burning coal and oil by the sh*tload, anything we do or don't do here won't make a jot of difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Has Gerard taken to the sauce with worry?

He was looking rather shifty on Claire Byrne for sure. I don’t think he stood straight all evening.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

jackboy wrote: »
    Can’t believe Fleming is putting his name to this ****e.

Now he is calmly saying that limerick will be wiped out.

Met Eireann are probably singing from the same hymn-sheet as RTE in the hope of getting more money from the government. Makes it easier to ratchet up the carbon tax again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RedParrot

Climate change is happening and we already see the effects of climate change. Ireland is getting wetter. Australia is getting hotter for example. Its also happening at a faster rate than anticipated or at a faster rate that other climate changes in history. The culprit is the burning of fossil fuels like coal, oil and gas. Long before tonights show with Gerry, I read a piece in a magazine or newspaper or somewhere from a science head in nuig saying Galway could be like Venice by 2070 or 2090. I forget the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,934 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RedParrot wrote: »
    Climate change is happening and we already see the effects of climate change. Ireland is getting wetter. Australia is getting hotter for example. Its also happening at a faster rate than anticipated or at a faster rate that other climate changes in history. The culprit is the burning of fossil fuels like coal, oil and gas. Long before tonights show with Gerry, I read a piece in a magazine or newspaper or somewhere from a science head in nuig saying Galway could be like Venice by 2070 or 2090. I forget the years.

So one guy says 'could be', and thats that. Fact.

People need to catch themselves on ffs.

Maybe this guy was getting funding in climate study? Maybe it paid him to say these things?

Some of the exaggerating going on is shocking. And its a bit like some of the other things in society, you simply aren't allowed to question them any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

RedParrot wrote: »

RTE on the climate change bandwagon. Just last week they had a show about Francis Brennan on a cruise ship. A cruise ship emits the same amount of pollution as a million cars per day, while dumping millions of litres of untreated sewage in the ocean. Then they push the electric car “solution”.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Advertisement