Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RedParrot

NIMAN wrote: »
    So one guy says 'could be', and thats that. Fact.

People need to catch themselves on ffs.

Maybe this guy was getting funding in climate study? Maybe it paid him to say these things?

Some of the exaggerating going on is shocking. And its a bit like some of the other things in society, you simply aren't allowed to question them any more.

Did you watch Gerry's documentary before Claires show? I rarely sit down to watch TV but that was an hour I sat and watched and I enjoyed watching it too. There was a lad who works for the weather station in Denmark on Gerrys show. I will need to go back on the player and see what exactly was said. I think it was said, there's an ice cap or something melting and it melted 1mm over the past year or something whereas it took many, many years for 1mm to melt previous to this.

I will need to watch it again on the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RedParrot

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    RTE on the climate change bandwagon. Just last week they had a show about Francis Brennan on a cruise ship. A cruise ship emits the same amount of pollution as a million cars per day, while dumping millions of litres of untreated sewage in the ocean. Then they push the electric car “solution”.

Electric car definitely isn't a solution, not in Ireland anyway with the electricity network is powered by some fossil fuels. It makes no sense to move to electric cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

RedParrot wrote: »
    Did you watch Gerry's documentary before Claires show? I rarely sit down to watch TV but that was an hour I sat and watched and I enjoyed watching it too. There was a lad who works for the weather station in Denmark on Gerrys show. I will need to go back on the player and see what exactly was said. I think it was said, there's an ice cap or something melting and it melted 1mm over the past year or something whereas it took many, many years for 1mm to melt previous to this.

Previous 100yrs it melted by 2mm. Last yr it melted by 1mm...Scary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

RedParrot wrote: »
    I will need to go back on the player and see what exactly was said. I think it was said, there's an ice cap or something melting and it melted 1mm over the past year or something whereas it took many, many years for 1mm to melt previous to this.

Sea level rise of 1mm in 2 years. 2mm in the previous 100 years.

Look there's so much info, misinformation, agendas etc that it's really hard for ordinary Irish people to know what to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Previous 100yrs it melted by 2mm. Last yr it melted by 1mm...Scary stuff.

Imagine spending 100 years measuring a 2mm rise. The land falling would account for some of that over a century.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

Imagine spending 100 years measuring a 2mm rise. The land falling would account for some of that over a century.

Could be platetectonics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,934 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So is a 1mm rise in 2 years worrying?

If it was to stay at that rate, doesn't sound like something to worry about tbh.

If it was to go to 10mm every 2 years, then of course its something to worry about.

Did they say if it would increase at such a rate again compared to 100yrs ago?

Doesn't sound like something to worry about tbh.

It’s very worrying. If you were at the beach you would probably have to move your deckchair by the end of the decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Doesn't sound like something to worry about tbh.

Nothing to worry about. When Greenland and Antarctic are covered with giraffes then we're in trouble.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Well if it is it would be. 4 inches in 20 years. A foot in 60!!

If it's true that is.

20mm is about three quarters of an inch. So it would take 144 years to make a foot.

• Advertisement

20mm is about three quarters of an inch. So it would take 144 years to make a foot.

Yeah I deleted when I saw the error of my ways!!

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Yeah I deleted when I saw the error of my ways!!

You guys and your exaggerating again;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Did anyone do their homework tonight as to 'why' it's a bad idea Claire Byrne to present a segment on workplace romances?

There was discussions of affairs too - I laughed the whole way thru that segment. :D:D:D

2mm rise in 1 year
    We have 25mm in an inch
    An inch rise in 12.5 years at that rate
    A rise of a foot in 150 years. Just as SafeSurfer calculated a few posts back.

I did sleepy calculations earlier, mistaking cm for mm.

And as NIMAN pointed out could this accelerate with ongoing warming to a 10mm per year rise or such like..

I do believe in climate change. I just think there's exaggeration around it and a lot of hypocrisy. 'Do as I say but not as I do'. Personally I only have a foreign holiday every 5 years approx, live modestly. So at least I feel I'm not a jet setter lecturing others.

Pity you are wasting your time Naggdefy, cos carbon emissions rose in 2019, and they will rise again in 2020.

Its a losing battle until the big guns get on board.

I didn't see of the programme tonight about CC, but I saw trailers for the week of programmes on RTE about it. I saw plenty of dramatic images of Dublin being flooded etc. All very Daily Mailesque imho.

Pity you are wasting your time Naggdefy, cos carbon emissions rose in 2019, and they will rise again in 2020.

Its a losing battle until the big guns get on board.

I didn't see of the programme tonight about CC, but I saw trailers for the week of programmes on RTE about it. I saw plenty of dramatic images of Dublin being flooded etc. All very Daily Mailesque imho.

Oh yeah-that's Philip Boucher Hayes. He doesn't give a toss about scaremongering.

There was also the discussion of vegan diets-and 'going vegan' to save the planet... yeah, they do know that farmland used for growing crops is just as destructive as meat consumption, right?
    Whether it's use of chemicals for sprays, or the pollution produced by machinery, it's all destructive.
    Basically-eating is destructive. Nothing we can do about that.

Let's be honest, living is destructive.

The hardcore climate change evangelists want negative economic growth, want us to stop driving, flying, eating meat, buying clothes, holidaying, heating our homes .......

I heard Mary Robinson on the radio earlier, spoofing about how she is now a pescatarian. Whoopee for you. And she wants us all to stop eating meat.

Yet she still hops in her limo and gets driven around the country to spout this nonsense.......feck off Mary. You're fooling no-one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

NIMAN wrote:

Living certainly is destructive, but changing nothing, is kinna dumb. This one is gonna be extremely difficult to change, and the most difficult part will be trying to make deep systematic and institutional changes, changing individual actions will probably be the easier part

The hardcore climate change evangelists want negative economic growth, want us to stop driving, flying, eating meat, buying clothes, holidaying, heating our homes .......

I heard Mary Robinson on the radio earlier, spoofing about how she is now a pescatarian. Whoopee for you. And she wants us all to stop eating meat.

Yet she still hops in her limo and gets driven around the country to spout this nonsense.......feck off Mary. You're fooling no-one.

Plus, the methane that cattle produce (which is what they claim is causing climate change) is nothing compared to the methane machines produce. Animal methane lingers in the ozone layer for about 12 months, methane produced by factories and machines lingers in the Layer for close to 10 years.

The way these people spout off about 'go vegan', while ignoring the pollution these machines produce is baffling. Food production isn't easy. It creates pollution.
    Whether that food is going towards the manufacture of Tofu, or the feeding of cattle, it's still creating a problem.

I thought it was cow's burps, not farts, that were the issue?

• Advertisement

I thought it was cow's burps, not farts, that were the issue?

Pretty much both-they discovered that most methane was produced from the mouth.
    Not that it makes much difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Farting is soooo disgusting, it should be banned or at least taxed at a very high rate.
    Thank goodness women don’t fart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Plus, the methane that cattle produce (which is what they claim is causing climate change) is nothing compared to the methane machines produce. Animal methane lingers in the ozone layer for about 12 months, methane produced by factories and machines lingers in the Layer for close to 10 years.

Citation please.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Citation please.

Sure thing-and thank you for making me double check, because I made an error.

Cow Methane lasts for 10 years in the atmosphere-CO2, from Car emissions, lasts for ten times as long, 100 years.

https://climatefeedback.org/claimreview/claim-about-climate-impacts-of-cows-vs-cars-needs-a-little-explanation-financial-times/

As noted, the use of cars has increased far more than the consumption of cattle or dairy products.
    We're going to see far more vehicles on the road than we will see cattle.

Consider, also, that if 'investing in veganism' is indeed reducing pollution, we'll see a far greater number of heavy duty machinery. More lingering pollution will be created by this than by cattle.
    Plus it's pollution that will linger for far longer.

Never mind the sea levels rising,I rise a bit watching Claire! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Sure thing-and thank you for making me double check, because I made an error.

Cow Methane lasts for 10 years in the atmosphere-CO2, from Car emissions, lasts for ten times as long, 100 years.

https://climatefeedback.org/claimreview/claim-about-climate-impacts-of-cows-vs-cars-needs-a-little-explanation-financial-times/

As noted, the use of cars has increased far more than the consumption of cattle or dairy products.
    We're going to see far more vehicles on the road than we will see cattle.

Consider, also, that if 'investing in veganism' is indeed reducing pollution, we'll see a far greater number of heavy duty machinery. More lingering pollution will be created by this than by cattle.
    Plus it's pollution that will linger for far longer.

You said methane machines produce.

YFlyer wrote: »
    You said methane machines produce.

Yeah, my bad.

Machines don't produce methane-they're not ruminants.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Never mind the sea levels rising,I rise a bit watching Claire! :D

I genuinely don't see it-she's trashy, imo.

Still would! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

She is a beautiful looking middle aged lady. And she looks like a real woman, not one of these younger ones with their fake blubber lips, fake porcelain teeth, frozen Botox face and speech impediment due to all those already mentioned.

Advertisement