Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching abroad with TEFL, no teaching experience to date.

• 19-01-2015 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking to travel abroad for a couple of months on a working holiday and was thinking that TEFL may be a viable way to make this happen whilst possibility getting to see some of the more exotic places in the world. i have two main questions to ask.

There seems to be several types of TEFL courses available as far as I can see, ranging from online, weekend and courses of longer duration but I am wondering what course will give an individual the best chance of actually being able to secure employment abroad?

Secondly, how does the actual employment abroad aspect happen?
    Is it difficult to obtain?
    How can I be put in touch with potential employers?
    What are the employers responsibilities vs mine? Accommodation? Pay? Food?
    Has anyone on here actual gone abroad with this course and did they encounter any difficulties whilst abroad on placement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Well, first of all, it really depends on where you want to go.

Each country has a different EFL market which depends on a number of different factors so, unfortunately, there is no one size fits all answer to your question.

'a couple of months'- honestly, if it's this short of a time, i would advise you just to save up enough money to be on holiday. Getting casual EFL work can be easy or difficult depending on a number of factors.

The most recognised course is the CELTA and to a lesser extent the Trinity TESOL. However, i would only advise someone who wants to do the job for a good while to do one of these as they are expensive.

I'm now in my 3rd different country teaching English, I have a CELTA. I've had many difficulties and many successes.

I'm sorry if my answer seems vague but your question is vague because there is so much variance in the EFL markets worldwide, you kind of need to narrow it down a bit. If you have a specific place in mind, i'd be happy to answer any more questions.

Advertisement