Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicked: The Movie

• 19-01-2015 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭

Looking like a 2016 release (possibly 2017). One I'll look forward to. Have seen the show twice, would go again if it returned & a movie version would have much more scope for backstory & fantastic sets & effects.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm generally against this. I've yet to see a decent film of a great musical. I've seen Wicked 11 times. I don't trust film producers to do it justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I think both the Les miserables and Mamma mia films are better than the musical. I think Wicked could follow the same way. Although I have to say I am not a huge fan of Wicked. I agree that the film could show more of a backstory (if possible) and the set/effects could be amazing. I would definitely be interested in seeing it.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I think both the Les miserables and Mamma mia films are better than the musical. I think Wicked could follow the same way. Although I have to say I am not a huge fan of Wicked. I agree that the film could show more of a backstory (if possible) and the set/effects could be amazing. I would definitely be interested in seeing it.

Can't say I agree about those films but each to their own. Have you read the book Wicked? It's massively different and much darker and more violent than the show. It would be interesting to see what story gets licensed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Selma Hayek owns the TV rights to the book. She tried to get it off the ground as a non musical miniseries a couple of years ago but it never happened.

I hope the film wouldn't be too dark. The musical actually contains a lot of humour which I liked. Is the book worth a read?

• Advertisement

I hope the film wouldn't be too dark. The musical actually contains a lot of humour which I liked. Is the book worth a read?

To be honest it's tough going and quite gorey in parts. The show is very much a Disneyfied version, while not being a Disney show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

athtrasna wrote: »
    I'm generally against this. I've yet to see a decent film of a great musical. I've seen Wicked 11 times. I don't trust film producers to do it justice

After Into the Woods I'd tend to agree with this sentiment, but I did like Les Miserables and Phantom...Evita and The Producers were good too.

I just think Wicked may go the same way as Into the Woods as they try to make it suitable for all audiences.

I felt into the woods was quite bland as a film. I saw Wicked in the Bord Gais and in the West end. The West end show was so much better as I thought the stage design and effects were superior. I feel the film could strengthen these areas even further. I already think Wicked is kinda dark as to how the teacher who is a goat (I think) is treated. I love the end of wicked when we see how it shapes The Wizard of Oz.
    Also this probably will go against popular opinion but I feel Wicked is lacking in terms of songs. I like defying gravity, one short day, popular and a few more. But I do not like No one mourns the Wicked and As long as you're mine. When the opening song isn't great then it really lets the whole show down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Thought the film version was dreadful but we all have our preferences!

Advertisement