Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog attacks on sheep !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

rangler1 wrote: »
    If you let them away with negligence why would they bother,I wouldn't worry about licenses, they can't force anyone to buy a license but it's their job to pick up strays.
    Best idea is to catch the dog and bring him straight to the pound....really annoys the owner, last one i brought in had a chip and the reg owner was 150 mls away.....so much for chipping them
    We have a simple solution to stray dogs. Then we inform the Gardai and they can take care of the problem. Luckily it's been a good many years since we had to shoot a dog.

I better leave this thread or I'll end up having to give myself a card:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

A good dog warden is a great asset. We had a great one...had :(

We haven't shot that many dogs, managed to catch most of them ring the coco and the warden would be out the next day or sooner.

Yet to test the current(contractor) warden. Can't see a contractor pushing for prosecutions somehow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Since the new regulations about mandatory dog micro-chip legislation came into force earlier this year. I wonder how many farmers with dogs have them chipped and registered.
    I have 3 dogs, two are chipped (Rotties) and registered in my name, the old terrier is not chipped. OH has a English setter and she is chipped & registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Base price wrote: »
    Since the new regulations about mandatory dog micro-chip legislation came into force earlier this year. I wonder how many farmers with dogs have them chipped and registered.
    I have 3 dogs, two are chipped (Rotties) and registered in my name, the old terrier is not chipped. OH has a English setter and she is chipped & registered.

It seems here we have a very lax attitude about dogs and the responsibilities of dog ownership.
    I frequently see unattended dogs (having collars and by implication owners) just going around having for a walk for themselves whenever they feel like it in both rural and urban areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

It seems here we have a very lax attitude about dogs and the responsibilities of dog ownership.
    I frequently see unattended dogs (having collars and by implication owners) just going around having for a walk for themselves whenever they feel like it in both rural and urban areas.

There's a pair of dogs that we'd find wandering around here maybe once or twice a month, hunting dogs, some form of pointer and a springer so big enough animals. No sheep around here for miles and that's the only reason they're still alive. And who do they belong to? The local Garda!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭arctictree

There seems to be an attitude that if the dog is small, they can just be let out and wander. Then this dog dies and the owner gets a slightly larger, younger dog and thinks that they can just do the same....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Stiffer penalties (if owner can be identified) or dog gets impounded/goes to doggy heaven if not.

Keeping a dog is not like keeping a goldfish or a hamster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Decided to update the story. Was in the district court today over the case. There's a bench warrent out for the person. Tis about time dog attacks were taken seriously

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Decided to update the story. Was in the district court today over the case. There's a bench warrent out for the convicted farmer. Tis about time dog attacks were taken seriously

Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭razor8

Decided to update the story. Was in the district court today over the case. There's a bench warrent out for the convicted farmer. Tis about time dog attacks were taken seriously

I assume he’s not convicted if he didn’t turn up yet?

• Advertisement

razor8 wrote: »
    I assume he’s not convicted if he didn’t turn up yet?

The farmer represented himself but never showed up. The case proceeded without him and after all the evidence the judge issued a bench warrant for him and ruled he had 2 choices either go to jail for 3 months or compensate us.

Good on ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

arctictree wrote: »
    There seems to be an attitude that if the dog is small, they can just be let out and wander. Then this dog dies and the owner gets a slightly larger, younger dog and thinks that they can just do the same....
    People don't have one big dog they usually have a couple, cattle were chased in a neighbours farm you should see the damage they did they were fit for sale the cattle. The farmer was gone away for the day his son came on the scence it turned out it was a guard owned the dogs. These people cant look after thereselves not alone feed big dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭The Rabbi

The farmer represented himself but never showed up. The case proceeded without him and after all the evidence the judge issued a bench warrant for him and ruled he had 2 choices either go to jail for 3 months or compensate us. The same farmer was awarded a large sum of money last week after beating the department in the supreme court.

Be careful about saying anything that might identify him until all is sorted.
    You could get in trouble and end up pleading for Mercky in court.;)

The Rabbi wrote: »

The judge has convicted him...David can shout it from your mans gate if he he wanted to

ganmo wrote: »
    The judge has convicted him...David can shout it from your mans gate if he he wanted to

I'd still have to be careful with this man aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The Rabbi wrote: »

I said nothing until the settlement money was in my account. It took five years from when the event happened until I had the money.

• Advertisement

Just saw this article on FJ of dogs attacking a ewe in the UK. For some reason I cannot view the video - probably better not to see it :mad:
    Scenes like this should be posted on FB, Twitter and other media outlets to ensure that dog owners are fully aware of the potential impact of roaming dogs.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/watch-three-dogs-caught-on-camera-attacking-sheep-336393

Just saw this article on FJ of dogs attacking a ewe in the UK. For some reason I cannot view the video - probably better not to see it :mad:
    Scenes like this should be posted on FB, Twitter and other media outlets to ensure that dog owners are fully aware of the potential impact of roaming dogs.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/watch-three-dogs-caught-on-camera-attacking-sheep-336393

Exactly get it out to dog owners!

I used to post stuff like this on the pet forum here but they eventually got pissed at me.

Exactly get it out to dog owners!

I used to post stuff like this on the pet forum here but they eventually got pissed at me.
    I never thought about posting it on the Animals & Pet forum - will do so now.
    As an aside one would think that the thread for rearing/keeping animals & pets would not be in the Forum for Recreation & Hobbies. Maybe that's where lies the problem .......???

I think they should take 'animal' out of the forum title.
    It leads ppl to think they talk about wildlife too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The problem In that video was that the dog owners walked away and left them attacking the ewe......person with the camera was as bad that they left the dogs at it too

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    The problem In that video was that the dog owners walked away and left them attacking the ewe......person with the camera was as bad that they left the dogs at it too

Had someone come up to me the other day that I was a f#()#r for shooting the dogs in a recent dog attack here. I dont have sheep and I dont have a gun. Yet it was still apparently me who shot the "poor" dogs. Some people haven't a clue.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had someone come up to me the other day that I was a f#()#r for shooting the dogs in a recent dog attack here. I dont have sheep and I dont have a gun. Yet it was still apparently me who shot the "poor" dogs. Some people haven't a clue.

I have a name for shooting dogs too it seems.......might be no harm

I have a name for shooting dogs too it seems.......might be no harm

Ah but you have sheep. This was a total clown

whelan2 wrote: »

To ppl like that dogs aren't animals they're nearly human

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

If the sheep were out on the road and did damage to your car, I'm sure you'd be looking for the farmer to pay compensation to fix your car, like-wise if your dog is worrying sheep - the farmer is due compensation from the dog owner. Also you cant inter-fear with someone's livelihood to the extent they lose money because of you or your dog.

Most if not all home insurance cover a family pet anyway, it maybe up to 3 dogs max, it may not be written in the insurance but it is there. When your home insurance is due this year, double check and have Rover/Max/Shep are covered too, not only for worrying sheep but also if he/she get's sick as some Vet bills would be covered.

There is a pet insurance called ''Pet Plan'', they dont cover dogs worrying sheep, they only cover Vet bills due to illness, so no point asking them to cover your dog for worrying sheep.

• Advertisement

Tbh, people don't care at all about dog attacks. Only the farmers involved care.

There was a segment on the radio yesterday evening about people not picking up their dogs droppings and there were calls for a dog DNA database so any droppings could be analysed and the dogs owner prosecuted.

I can imagine the response if a farmer asked for similar data to be kept.

I have only a few more years in sheep as my neighbour with sheep is getting very old now. When he dies, all the dogs from his side will be left off again and we'll be plagued with dog attacks again.

Tbh, people don't care at all about dog attacks. Only the farmers involved care.

There was a segment on the radio yesterday evening about people not picking up their dogs droppings and there were calls for a dog DNA database so any droppings could be analysed and the dogs owner prosecuted.

I can imagine the response if a farmer asked for similar data to be kept.

I have only a few more years in sheep as my neighbour with sheep is getting very old now. When he dies, all the dogs from his side will be left off again and we'll be plagued with dog attacks again.

then it has to a question of how do we make them care?
    at the minute our fight is 3 pronged, council, coilte and dog owners

then it has to a question of how do we make them care?
    at the minute our fight is 3 pronged, council, coilte and dog owners
    I think it's a problem with lack of enforcement. The last time the dog warden came around here after a dog attack, 3 days after the attack:rolleyes:, he went around to a few neighbours with dogs and asked them for their dogs licence. One didn't have a licence so she was told to go and get one.

Like, FFS, why would you take enforcement like that seriously if you only have to go and get a licence when caught with no penalty applied?

What I would like to happen is the farmer to contact the different farm organisations, collect the dead sheep from the attack and carry them into the council offices and make a pile of them in front of the gate at 8 in the morning. The different organisations should contact the media to come and film, photograph and interview the farmer involved. This should start a media kerfuffle and get the issue into the mainstream media.

Seeing as the local council is failing miserably, imo, to enforce the regulations, they should pick up the bill for the dead sheep. In full. I would include cost of replacements in this too unless the owner of the dog is identified. Once a few of these dumps happen, the economic reality of dog attacks would start to seep into officialdoms heads for once.

After an attack, I would expect the council to make a full inspection of all residents within a mile of the farm to check for licences within a week. And further out as well within a month. Any dog without a licence, 500 euro. Without a chip, 500 euro. No collar, 500 euro, no exceptions.

Some other things I would favour is to prohibit a vet from treating a dog without a chip or collar. Grand, put in the chip and the collar on and treat but any treated dogs should be flagged in the system to the council to see a licence. No licence, 500 euro.

After a few months of blocked entrances to council offices and a nice bill for removing the animals and paying for replacements, it will start to look more efficient to the councils to have a dog warden actually do the job they are supposed to be doing.

Give them the same powers of entry as the Dept of Ag have to enter a holding to check for dogs, what's sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander as well.

I reckon in 6 months, the amount of dog attacks would be minimised once people are having to pay to keep their dog and with a big fine for not complying with the laws on keeping dogs.

Not a chance it, or anything that will actually improve the situation, will happen.

TL;DR Make it hurt peoples pockets to not comply with the laws on keeping dogs.

Bet you're sorry you asked now:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

The council should also ensure that the owners have proper fencing to secure their dogs, just like we have stock proof fencing. No Fencing, dog gets taken away.

No one really cares until their caught. Putting inplace measurements that were posted by Beuford would make people listen.

So it doesn't look like we've lasted a year without an attack.

I was going through some of the sheep yesterday when i got a whiff of that sweet sickly smell of infection, I found one with a sore ear so i thought that was her.
    Unfortunately no
    As i normally do the last thing i do is i let them out loose in the yard to check for any lame ones, brought them back in and found one whos leg is badly infected. The cause? a few puncture wounds around her upper leg :(
    As ya can see theres no sign of the injury looking at her(front leg) she wasnt even the most lame ewe

Bas. RD dog owners

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Lots of Pen Strep. When you want to push P/S to it's limit, use it at 1ml/20 Kg twice a day IM. That suits the pharmacokinetics of the streptomycin better and a double dose of penicillin isn't going to cause harm.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The farmer sounds like a prick if he shot them on the road as claimed by the owners and if they indeed weren’t worrying sheep but at the end of the day it’s the owners fault that they were let to roam.if they were minded properly they would have been secured.
    P1sses me off to see dogs walking the roads.dangerous for drivers etc and dangerous for the dogs.

The farmer sounds like a prick if he shot them on the road as claimed by the owners and if they indeed weren’t worrying sheep but at the end of the day it’s the owners fault that they were let to roam.if they were minded properly they would have been secured.
    P1sses me off to see dogs walking the roads.dangerous for drivers etc and dangerous for the dogs.

I see his after deleting the post now. I think the way the farmer handled the dogs was brutal in fairness. But if I saw 2 Rottweilers roaming the roads around my sheep, they’d probably end up with the same faith

there seems to be a lot of talk about dogs attacking sheep recently or is it just me?

there seems to be a lot of talk about dogs attacking sheep recently or is it just me?

I believe there's a season for it, it's definitely more common from christmas on,
    and it's definitely when it does the most harm

I believe there's a season for it, it's definitely more common from christmas on,
    and it's definitely when it does the most harm

Seems to be alot down in the Cooley area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Whats needed is a proper licence system that keeps dog ownership out of the hands of reckless idiots who have no intention of engaging in responsible dog ownership. Dog ownership should be seen as a privilege and not an automatic right. The current system is a joke and does nothing to address this issue and others like the stray,cruelty issue and the nasty element involved in puppy farms etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

So they let their Rottweilers wander on the roads, and the farmer is at fault?

Odelay wrote: »
    So they let their Rottweilers wander on the roads, and the farmer is at fault?

I'd avoid shooting the dog......however the owner.
    Seriously, I'd warn the owner on the first offence and and after that war is declared, I've had some fair battles over dogs here, Got €10000 compo once so hopefully it's made an impact, no one should be allowed build in the countryside, dogs, private roads, slurry spreading,..... it's all hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

He was dead right.
    No sheep fencing would keep dogs out if they take to worrying the sheep.

• Advertisement

Just came across this on Agriland:mad:

Be warned, the video in the middle of the article is a bit graphic.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/graphic-stark-reminder-of-dangers-posed-in-dogs-off-leads/

Advertisement