Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet behind Facia

• 20-01-2015 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

While in the attic I noticed that in a number of places its wet at the back of the timber which the plastic facia is nailed to.

I took a look from the outside of the house and noticed the felt seems to be short. It finishes roughly at the end of the slates. I've read that the felt should extend down into the eve-run. Could rain 'blow-back' from the eve-run be making its way inside the facia?

Just to be clear - I have PVC facia which is nailed to a timber backing board & the water is making its way to the inside of this timber board.

As I mentioned, I've seen the back of the timber wet in a various places around the house, so I'm thinking its something common (like the short felt), as opposed to a leak in the roof. House is only 10 years old.

Could short felt be the cause? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Yes the rain could be blowing back under the felt onto the timbers. Not to easy to fix without lifting back a few rows of tiles. IT could also just be the water running down the felt under the Tiles and dropping of onto the timbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nwhse

Thanks Sky6.

Just so I'm clear - the felt does come outside the house and out past the plastic facia, but it stops just shy of the end of the slates. Because its so short, the felt tends to stay up flat against/sticks to the back of the slates and doesn't droop down. Is this regarded as short? Water dripping off the slates could blown in towards the facia? I believe it should come out and hang into the top of the gutter?

I was also considering a leak further up the roof, like you say - rain running down on top of the felt. However, this water should just come out outside where the felt finishes and not inside? Also - I've tried sticking my hand inside the felt (where it overlaps), up above the wet patches, to see if I could feel it wet and it felt dry. I know this isn't a 100% way of checking, but I expected to feel it damp at least.

Also - I've seen this wet on the facia in a lot of places as I looked around the edge of the roof from inside, so I'm wondering if its something common (such as felt). I'm hoping its not multiple leaks around the house :(

I took some photos to show exactly what I mean and what it looks like, but seems I can't attach them as I haven't posted enough on this forum? If anyone knows a way to attach/share that would be great...

Thanks again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I think I had the same problem as you. Unfortunately the wood was rotten and the pictures below show what happened as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nwhse

Hi Adam - I took off the Facia in the wettest spot last spring & luckily the wood isn't rotten. I left it exposed and it dried out fine and is solid. The house is only about 10 years old, but I don't know when it started. Was yours just up the gables or also on the flat part where the gutters run? My roof is hipped so there's guttering all around.

Did you figure out what caused your timber to get wet behind the plastic Facia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

nwhse wrote: »
    Hi Adam - I took off the Facia in the wettest spot last spring & luckily the wood isn't rotten. I left it exposed and it dried out fine and is solid. The house is only about 10 years old, but I don't know when it started. Was yours just up the gables or also on the flat part where the gutters run? My roof is hipped so there's guttering all around.

Did you figure out what caused your timber to get wet behind the plastic Facia?

That's the only part in going I worried about. (Out of sight out of mind) saying that I got the house insulated there a few months ago and the lad said it felt like it was damp of there around the timber, he had to drill holes for ventilation up to the attic as per the regs and he said that would dry out most of it. The gable gets the blunt of the winds and the rain so I thing it was just the wind forcing the rain in

• Advertisement
Advertisement