Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are Indian takeaway food so expensive in Ireland?

• 20-01-2015 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Is there a reason why Indian food in Ireland so expensive here. I have made many trips to Manchester and Liverpool many times and always enjoy going for Indian food, its good value and the prices on an average Restaurant/Take Away are around 1/3 of that of an average suburban Restaurant/take away in Ireland. Is this due to having a small Indian population compared to the UK because the population here has increased a fair bit as has the number of Indian places yet the prices are still really high.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

100's of reasons like tax , rates, wages, insurance ,blah blah. That is why things are expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well most of the better of them tend to have far bigger menus than Chinese or traditional takeaways and need to pay for all the stuff the you might order.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tecknika

Y'know that cheap Indian restaurant you ate in over in Liverpool? Well that wasn't chicken in the tikka masala.
    Nice though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

India was never a colony of the Republic of Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why is it impossible to get a vegetarian Korma here too. Very annoying.:mad:

• Advertisement

dpofloinn wrote: »
    100's of reasons like tax , rates, wages, insurance ,blah blah. That is why things are expensive

Does not wash as Chinese and other places seem on a par with the UK. It is just Indians that are taking the ****...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Who eats Indian food? Not even the Indians do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

eviltwin wrote: »
    Why is it impossible to get a vegetarian Korma here too. Very annoying.:mad:

Because that's just wrong on every level?, go graze the front lawn if you're lacking veggie options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

because most often, we dont have Indian takeaways, we have Indian restaurants that offer takeaway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'd rather pay the extra euro or two least know foods on a different level to most of the muck the average chinnese takeaway serves.

• Advertisement

tecknika wrote: »
    Does not wash as Chinese and other places seem on a par with the UK. It is just Indians that are taking the ****...

apples and oranges or in this scenario cats and lamb

I love the stuff, everything I have tried in an Indian restaurant I have loved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

It's a long drive from India

Because that's just wrong on every level?, go graze the front lawn if you're lacking veggie options

God forbid someone wants to eat a non meat dish :rolleyes:

dpofloinn wrote: »
    apples and oranges or in this scenario cats and lamb

stay classy chief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'd rather pay the extra euro or two least know foods on a different level to most of the muck the average chinnese takeaway serves.

Paying more doesn't let you know anything of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

You could try and learn how to cook some of your favourite dishes yourself? Much cheaper. The takeaways use a lot of oil, so probably healthier too.

Check out this thread to start you off: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056521427

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Jaysus, I'd love a Korma right now

Meat is murder!!

Tasty delicious murder!

Can they not just pick the lumps of beef out then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Why are there no Irish take aways?! Huh, huh?!

There's nothing I'd like more at 3am, locked, than a nice corned beef sandwich! Better still, a big bowl of coddle with slices of white buttered bread. Or, or, or a bacon, cabbage and mashed spuds wrap with brown sauce!

stay classy chief

Hey if you don't want to hear the answer then don't ask the question

I love the stuff, everything I have tried in an Indian restaurant I have loved.

What's your BMI? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

To be fair it's the most tasty laxative I've ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

God forbid you cooked dinner and someone wanted to eat meat :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Apache Pizza are fairly reasonable. Lets not tar all Indians with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

G'way over to London or somewhere fancy like that if you want to be at that craic.

Paying more doesn't let you know anything of the sort.

Ive found your average Indian takeaway is nearly always better quality then average Chinese.

Can they not just pick the lumps of beef out then?

No they probably wouldn't want to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

There's a snobbish perception here about how much higher quality a fast food like Indian takeaway is compared to a fast food like Chinese takeaway so the former costs a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Except the quality of Chinese food in Ireland is absolute dog****.

Think of the worst chipper in your town. That's the standard of most Chinese places in Ireland.

The bar is set far higher for Indians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The MSG doesn't come for free ya know!

No they probably wouldn't want to do that.

Well yano, that's there problem then isn't it? I pick out any veg I don't like in a dish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Gbear wrote: »
    Except the quality of Chinese food in Ireland is absolute dog****.

Think of the worst chipper in your town. That's the standard of most Chinese places in Ireland.

That's because the Chinese are so short is it?

That's because the Chinese are so short is it?

Nee Hi, most of them

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »

I guess that's because most of them don't drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I think my dislike for Indian food is down to the fact that it looks almost exactly the same coming out as it went in.

anncoates wrote: »
    There's a snobbish perception here about how much higher quality a fast food like Indian takeaway is compared to a fast food like Chinese takeaway so the former costs a lot more.

Ah I wouldn't say it's snobbery most Chinese takeaways are just greasy crap. It's literally add whatever sauce you picked to meat and cheap veg and your done.

Lot more effort goes into Indian food.

If either are done right they can be amazing but from what I've eaten over the years the Indian food tends to be better quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Chinese fast food here is muck.
    You would have to go to a nice Chinese restaurant like China Sichaun for a decent dish! Thai food (which is a more recent thing) and Indian are on a much higher quality level overall. Don't get me wrong, there are a few dodgy Indians (Tandoori Bite Portobello open all night!) that are a bit of a gut buster but I would pay that extra 2euro anyday for Indian over Chinese.

Ah I wouldn't say it's snobbery most Chinese takeaways are just greasy crap. It's literally add whatever sauce you picked to meat and cheap veg and your done.

If either are done right they can be amazing but from what I've eaten over the years the Indian food tends to be better quality.

Does less effort go into it in the UK as its cheaper than Chinese food

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

These assertions are usually the same and not really qualified much beyond Chinese takeaway is greasy crap but Indian takes more effort etc.

Maybe people are comparing full Indian meals with 3 in 1s or something.

I eat both. My local places are decent enough. Indian is generally better and more varied but not so much as to justify (in my area ) what is generally about a 40% price difference between different fast foods.

Chicken Korma seeing how it is so popular here is £3.50 in some random city centre in the UK and €14.95 in some random place in Clonsilla in Dublin.

Chicken Korma seeing how it is so popular here is £3.50 in some random city centre in the UK and €14.95 in some random place in Clonsilla in Dublin. Neither come with Rice etc..all is extra

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

This thread has made me hungry....

Smidge wrote: »
    I think my dislike for Indian food is down to the fact that it looks almost exactly the same coming out as it went in.

That's how they make the dishes - they've a team of professional cooks out back vomiting and defecating into a plastic container. The rice is mass purchased from Aldi.

Tag on a price of €12.90 and there you have it.

Some people are suckers for that type of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

As for the chinese takeaways trying to pass of tofu (or some other god awful slimy white thing that doesn't look nor taste like chicken) as chicken is unreal. How are they never shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

An File wrote: »
    India was never a colony of the Republic of Ireland...

Just going to quote this for those that didn't read it and those that have no notion of world history.

Oh.. For the same bunch, India was a colony of our neighbours, the English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Chances are if you're ordering an Indian, it's actually Bangladeshi or Pakistani chefs, very few true Indian restaurants around in the sticks,

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Is there a reason why Indian food in Ireland so expensive here. I have made many trips to Manchester and Liverpool many times and always enjoy going for Indian food, its good value and the prices on an average Restaurant/Take Away are around 1/3 of that of an average suburban Restaurant/take away in Ireland. Is this due to having a small Indian population compared to the UK because the population here has increased a fair bit as has the number of Indian places yet the prices are still really high.

Because Irish people think that some excrement like Chicken Tikka Massala is actually Indian food. Put a cloth down in front of Andrew and Therese and sling some chutney in front of them, coupled with some poppadom, a few bowls of turmeric-laced gristle, and a platter of basmati served by a lad with a purple turban and they'll think it's a feast that would make the Taj Mahal look like Ballymun.

You could get this gear for free in many of the hand-out kitchens for peasants in Mumbai.

Shemale wrote: »
    As for the chinese takeaways trying to pass of tofu (or some other god awful slimy white thing that doesn't look nor taste like chicken) as chicken is unreal. How are they never shut down.

Anyone who has eaten Tofu and chicken knows well that they don't and also Chicken is as cheap as Tofu if not cheaper. Say argument for the Cats and Dogs racists...they don't do it. If any went to the effort to kill a local dog which I find hard to believe then the likely reason would be for a delicacy for themselves and give the dumb public the cheap auld chicken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement