Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi haggis any good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

I wanna know as well, never tried haggis, but well interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Mech1 wrote: »
    I wanna know as well, never tried haggis, but well interested.

Haggis is glorious, kinda similar to black or white pudding but spicier. If it's good, then I'm grabbing myself one! Or maybe even 2

If you do get one to try, go full on and have ir with neeps and tatties :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Very tempted by this myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Neigh :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

I'm mad now I didn't get any, there was loads on the shelf earlier.
    What's the best way to cook it, by the sounds of it slice it up like white pudding and fry it,yeah!?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ardle1 wrote: »
    I'm mad now I didn't get any, there was loads on the shelf earlier.
    What's the best way to cook it, by the sounds of it slice it up like white pudding and fry it,yeah!?

M&S do lovely haggis.

Usually you boil, steam or bake the whole thing.
    It's a much looser constiency than pudding - it wouldn't slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, you can't slice it, it would just fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

ye - M&S and boil it. you could try take the contents of a boiled one, reshape, batter and fry it like in the chippers!

km991148 wrote: »
    ye - M&S and boil it. you could try take the contents of a boiled one, reshape, batter and fry it like in the chippers!

Or make filo parcels.

• Advertisement

Or make filo parcels.
    "Haggis filo parcels" ... Robbie Burns would be turning in his grave to hear that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

had it last year found it quite nice, will get it again. baked mine, and ate with mash. next morning threw the leftovers under the grill and had it on toast. I'd describe it as half way between black and white pudding.

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
    Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Last haggis I did was with Neeps and Tatties and a whiskey sauce. Quite nice but it was the real thing from the highlands rather than what is bought here.

You know what I'd love to see in Ireland? Square sausage!

Links234 wrote: »
    well, that's me put off :(

Maybe it's just me but I hated the texture.
    It was kind of like sticky, hot pâté.

I bought one anyway. Only 1.59 so if I don't like it it's not a huge waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Sliced up one today and baked it in a casserole dish. It's pretty much like marketty said above; a crossover between black & white pudding.

Nowhere near as good as the real thing you get served in Scotland (with the obligatory measure of whisky to pour over the top of it) but not a bad attempt.
    I didn't find mine too salty either.
    Neyite wrote: »
    You know what I'd love to see in Ireland? Square sausage!

YES! Oh my god yes. Lorne sausage isn't it? In a hot bap from a chippy and a runny egg. Omnomnom.

I've only ever had Lorne sausage once (in Scotland) and I wouldn't be keen on repeating the experience I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sanna

Tried the canned haggis last year think it was Grants, disgusting, dont go there, M&S haggis is the best I have tried over here.

God if there was a chance to get square slice here I would be a happy bunny!

Have managed to find a recipie online that does give good enough results as long as theres onions an brown sauce on the top of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Faith wrote: »

I've always been curious to try haggis myself but the one in that picture looks very unappealing. Might give the M&S one a go though.

• Advertisement

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I've always been curious to try haggis myself but the one in that picture looks very unappealing. Might give the M&S one a go though.

M&S one is lovely.
    If you like black pudding you should like haggis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

M&S one is lovely.

I'm compare it more to white pudding. I love black pudding, hate white pudding and really didn't enjoy haggis.

So, I ended up eating nearly the entire thing to myself :o

Thought there'd easily be enough for two huge portions for two people, but... kinda scoffed most of it :(

This was actually really tasty, gonna have a look if there've any more and maybe grab a couple of shove in the freezer. It's not amazing haggis by any means, but it's still pretty good ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

If you are looking for square (Lorne) sausage, Iceland have them about 10 frozen ones in a bag for €3.. Not the best quality but still great on a bap with fried onions and lashings of brown sauce!!

M&S one is lovely.

I love a good black pudding. Won't say no to white either although it doesn't tend to have as much depth of flavour.

But when you have pudding, you're having just a couple of pieces, as it's a rich flavour (if it's a good one). So I imagine a big chunk of haggis could be almost too much? I certainly wouldn't want to eat that amount of black pudding in one go, as much as I iike the stuff.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I love a good black pudding. Won't say no to white either although it doesn't tend to have as much depth of flavour.

But when you have pudding, you're having just a couple of pieces, as it's a rich flavour (if it's a good one). So I imagine a big chunk of haggis could be almost too much? I certainly wouldn't want to eat that amount of black pudding in one go, as much as I iike the stuff.

There's a lot of filler in haggis (mostly oats, I think) so it's not as dense as pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

Loooooooove haggis..... I'll be going to Aldi this evening to find this! Cheers for the heads up

There was none left in my local Aldi yesterday, only the tinned stuff still available.

Alun wrote: »
    There was none left in my local Aldi yesterday, only the tinned stuff still available.

Tinned haggis??? Sounds awful! I've nothing against tinned foods in general, they have their place, but I can't imagine how putting haggis in a can is going to end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Sorry to dig up this old thread but as it's that time of year and Aldi are currently selling Haggis I decided to give it a go as I'm a fan of black and white pudding and am generally up for offal/game etc.

Decided to follow a traditional Haggis, Neeps and Tatties recipe http://britishfood.about.com/od/menu/r/burnssupper.htm

Gave it a good shot and here is the outcome which I just polished off.

2mewdx2.jpg

Happy with the mashed potatoes and turnips I have to say :D

Cooked the haggis in the steamer for an hour. Came out nicely cooked (tiny bit pink in the very middle) but fairly stodgy. I ate it all but can't say I enjoyed it unfortunately. I recall having the same dinner in London on burns night many years ago and my recollection is the haggis was much darker, less stodgy and definitely more flavoursome.

Shame but it was worth a shot.

Advertisement