Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apprenticeship help?

Options
  • 20-01-2015 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I was thinking about trying to get an apprenticeship but I heard from some people it's a waste of time and effort but heard of others to go for it that it's something to fall back on and steady money. I was thinking about a mechanic apprenticeship either hgv or normal mechanic
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Tool making is a trade where there is a good future and decent money. As with any other trade getting someone to take you on can be the stumbling block.

People saying it's a waste are kidding themselves.

Personally I'd be thinking of an industry related apprentiship if you can get one. Pipe fitting, welding, metal fabrication, sparks or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jasonob221

_Brian wrote: »
    Tool making is a trade where there is a good future and decent money. As with any other trade getting someone to take you on can be the stumbling block.

People saying it's a waste are kidding themselves.

Personally I'd be thinking of an industry related apprentiship if you can get one. Pipe fitting, welding, metal fabrication, sparks or similar.

I was looking into toolmaking but I couldn't find anyone looking for apprentices. Heard the money is good but thought it was a dying trade.thanks for the reply really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Certainly not a dying trade, on the contrary, very good prospects with it.

MouseTail wrote: »
    Certainly not a dying trade, on the contrary, very good prospects with it.

Indeed.. the few industries I've worked in the Toolmakers were very well looked after indeed..
    Think of the larger injection molding operations in Ireland, they will have a crew of Toolmakers maintaining molds.

Indeed.. the few industries I've worked in the Toolmakers were very well looked after indeed..
    Think of the larger injection molding operations in Ireland, they will have a crew of Toolmakers maintaining molds.
    Didn't think of it like that. Thanks
    Think it's time to try get in touch with someone into toolmaking and go from there

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I think that you could limit yourself by just doing a trade. There's not really many prospects for advancement beyond a foreman.

I know some people I went to school with who were bright but severely limited themselves by doing trades. I know a guy who did toolmaking and regrets not going to university as he could have done.

My advice would be if you are in any way academically minded at all you should go to uni or an IT and get a degree at least in a field you enjoy. It will open up far more opportunities than an apprenticeship ever would.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with apprenticeship or trades per se, but if you are capable of something more advanced you shouldn't be selling yourself short.
    Lets not forget, trades are primarily manual labour jobs - do you really want to be pulling and dragging things for a living when you're 50 or 55? They can be more dangerous too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think that you could limit yourself by just doing a trade. There's not really many prospects for advancement beyond a foreman.

I know some people I went to school with who were bright but severely limited themselves by doing trades. I know a guy who did toolmaking and regrets not going to university as he could have done.

I couldn't disagree more. A bright tradesperson usually ends up starting their own company, and growing it to a successful enterprise. Really bright ones go to university somewhere along the way and do an MBA or similar.

Some of the people I know who did apprenticeships actually did better than ones who went to university, because they were getting workplace expereince and contacts as well as earning wages (small, but better than the student grant) from the time they were 17 or 18, while the students didn't start any of this til they were 22-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I think completing any of the mechanical/electrical based trades is far from limiting your prospects, there is nothing stopping you carrying on to college to complete a degree in a related field. Those that don't carry on to further education are either happy at that level or don't have the motivation or finances to carry on.

I and a few others in my class have completed plumbing or mechanical/electrical trades and carried straight on to do college degrees in related areas. Usually doing better than most in the class because you have a good work ethic drilled into you from working on-site.

The fact is with a completed apprenticeship & with some further education you become a very attractive candidate for jobs, as employers recognise that you understand the hands on work that is required for most jobs your sepcifying & that you have already proven yourself in the working world.

I couldn't disagree more. A bright tradesperson usually ends up starting their own company, and growing it to a successful enterprise. Really bright ones go to university somewhere along the way and do an MBA or similar.

Some of the people I know who did apprenticeships actually did better than ones who went to university, because they were getting workplace expereince and contacts as well as earning wages (small, but better than the student grant) from the time they were 17 or 18, while the students didn't start any of this til they were 22-ish.

Spot on..
    Doing a trade in no way limits a person, people limit themselves..

I've two degrees and my brother in law with a trade (metal fabricator) has his own business and earns probably three times what I do..

• Advertisement

Spot on..
    Doing a trade in no way limits a person, people limit themselves..

I've two degrees and my brother in law with a trade (metal fabricator) has his own business and earns probably three times what I do..
    That was another thing I didn't get what people meant when they said trades can limit you. I suppose they'll always be someone telling you what your doing is a waste or something haha. Thanks again lads!

Advertisement