Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours trees

Options
  • 20-01-2015 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi all

My neighbours have exceptionally large evergreens growing on their side of the bounday. The are currently approx 80+ ft tall. I have a couple of issues with these trees

1 - The trees have grown so wide at the base that they have knocked the bounary wall and they base is now also expaning into my garden

2 - the branches of these tress are growning about half way accross my garden

Whose responsibility would it be to cut / remove the trees
    Who would be responsible for repairing the boundary wall

Is there anything i can do about this other than have a chat with the neighbour.

all advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Id say thats defo up to the neighbours. 80 ft is pretty high so i reckon you might have a case to get them removed.

As for the over growing branches in ypur garden, just cut them! My fathers neighbour behind him has big trees that used to geow into our garden about 10+ ft with thick branches so we just got the chainsaw and trimed it all back to their side and burned the trimmings the following year. Neighbour asked what we was doing and apologised when they saw how far they grew into the garden. This was about 5 years ago when we did up the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Branches growing on your side of the fence can be trimmed by you.
    They are still the neighbours property and must be returned to them.
    Are the trees close enough to damage any buildings/property if they fell?
    If so it would be worth having a nice talk to the neighbours about potential insurance issues with having big trees so close.
    Are they Leylandii?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

80 foot tall is huge, it's over five times the height of a double decker bus. what spread do they have?
    are they also near the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The owner of the trees is liable for any/all damaged caused by them. As earlier written, you can cut any branch that overhangs your property but you must return it.

Any tree within 40ft of a residence (house) can be cut without applying for a license or Govt. permission but you don't have the Right to cut it unannounced. If you cut off branches and this destabilises the tree, then you will be held liable if the tree falls and damages persons or property.

Having a chat with your neighbour is the first and best step to take but there are other recourses to take if that isn't successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

See here for how to deal with boundary issues
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0027/sec0043.html#sec43

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Any tree within 40ft of a residence (house) can be cut without applying for a license or Govt. permission but you don't have the Right to cut it unannounced.
    actually, it's 100 foot:
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1220.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sailjerry7071

The owner of the trees is liable for any/all damaged caused by them. As earlier written, you can cut any branch that overhangs your property but you must return it.

Any tree within 40ft of a residence (house) can be cut without applying for a license or Govt. permission but you don't have the Right to cut it unannounced. If you cut off branches and this destabilises the tree, then you will be held liable if the tree falls and damages persons or property.

Having a chat with your neighbour is the first and best step to take but there are other recourses to take if that isn't successful.
    If the neighbour is adamant that the Rees cannot be touched what is the next option?
    My neighbours trees are 60 feet from my house and 90 feet tall. Also they are home to approx 200 crows.

don't worry, 200 crows don't weigh much and are unlikely to affect the stability of the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If the neighbour is adamant that the Rees cannot be touched what is the next option?
    My neighbours trees are 60 feet from my house and 90 feet tall. Also they are home to approx 200 crows.

Looked into this for one of my landlords.He was being refused insurance as the trees were so close to the house ..around 20 yards and were on the property of the farmer he was having a long running feud with over land etc ( as in 25 years long... ) I got a lot of very useful info and advice from going into Citizens Info. Worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

3 year old thread....
    How does it take one tree years to reply????¿

• Advertisement
Advertisement