Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Eastpoint Business Park

Options
  • 20-01-2015 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

Hi

Ok there was an old thread on this but now its closed.

Just wondering what its like working here. From De Northside myself so quite close but all my life I have worked in the city center and its close to all amenities and should anyone want to meet for a quick drink or meal town handy.

I see that there is a food market every Wednesday similar to the Irish Village Markets. The thought of working in an industrial estate seems soulless.

Anyone working there whats it like and any parking available ?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Hi

Ok there was an old thread on this but now its closed.

Just wondering what its like working here. From De Northside myself so quite close but all my life I have worked in the city center and its close to all amenities and should anyone want to meet for a quick drink or meal town handy.

I see that there is a food market every Wednesday similar to the Irish Village Markets. The thought of working in an industrial estate seems soulless.

Anyone working there whats it like and any parking available ?

cheers

It's an office park rather than an industrial park that you'd see out in Baldoyle, Ballymount etc. Different feel to it.

Parking depends on the employer though according to another thread there is some free parking around the back. If not, you can park in the train station for 2E a day or a bit further away there's some free on street parking by the Garda Station.

There's a free shuttle bus to/from Clontarf DART Station that runs until about 2230 each week night. There's also a bar in the centre of the park which is great during sunny days and which does food.

I haven't worked there in a while now but overall I quite liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks

During the good weather I could cycle as not to far away just have to check with company re the facilities. Cycle through the park and over the canal and down Alfie Byrne and turn in there. This the best cycle route coming down from the Malahide road? If getting bus I would get off the bus at Annesley Bridge and walk down by the canal and then turn onto Alfie Byrne Road.Would rather these options than drive but if I do drive any free spaces would be good, will check around the Garda Station car should be safe there. Even park in the Aldi car park although not sure if clamping in operation there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Aldi car parks are quite small and thus very busy. A regular long term unattended car there would be easily noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,179 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The buildings are soulless, the location is not... nestled into the curve of Dublin Bay. On a nice day, it's lovely if you can get out for a walk along the water towards Clontarf.
    It can be a bit wild and windy at times as it's exposed to the sea.

Really check out the parking situation in your company if you intend to drive... for an business park the allocation of parking spaces is quite stingy.
    If you're interviewing with a company in there, try to check out their car park and see how many free spaces \ double parking is going on.

Food options can get a bit dull unless you have in house canteen serving food.
    There are a few options- Epicentre does carvery\hot lunches, Munchies sandwich bar, and convenice shop with sandwich deli. Wednesday there are market stalls.

ALDI is handy at lunchtime, you have to leave the park to get to it.
    There's supposed to be a LIDL coming to East Wall also, but no movement on the site yet.

You are still relatively close to city centre even though you are in business park. You can pop in to town in the evenings fairly quickly, but you will miss town at lunch time if you are used to it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

For 'canal', read 'River Tolka' :)

Alternatively, on bike, turn left at bottom of Malahide Road and head under and past railway bridge, then right turn to Alfie Byrne Road and cycle lane to Eastpoint. Much of a muchness as to which is shorter, though through Fairview Park may be better for your soul than Clontarf Road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If getting bus I would get off the bus at Annesley Bridge and walk down by the canal and then turn onto Alfie Byrne Road.

get off at the top of the Malahide Rd and walk into Clontarf Dart Station, join the queue for the shuttle bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

TarfHead wrote: »
    For 'canal', read 'River Tolka' :)

Ah j**sus I should have known that :rolleyes:

Much of a muchness walking from bus stop at the bridge or getting shuttle, depends on weather I suppose. I take it that no secret back entrance from the back of Fairview park over rail track and out onto Alfie Byrne Road ?

Much of a muchness walking from bus stop at the bridge or getting shuttle, depends on weather I suppose. I take it that no secret back entrance from the back of Fairview park over rail track and out onto Alfie Byrne Road ?

There was an underpass but it seems to be boarded up now, so you have to leave Fairview Park, come out onto the East Wall Road (which is quite narrow), and then take the left onto Alfie Byrne Road.

I think on the bike you should try both routes out, a colleague of mine was coming through Fairview Park on the bike, but switched to coming down Howth Road and Alfie Byrne Road and prefers this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The parking situ is definitely iffy. Whether or not you'll be given a parking space, depends on the company you will be working for. There aren't enough to go around. There is a car park at the Clontarf Dart station, but it fills up pretty early. My nephew works there and he just parks his car on one of the side streets behind the Garda station. It's takes him about 10 mins to walk to the Dart station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I work there. It's depressing in my opinion.

It's not an industrial estate so it's not *that* bad but it's still just grey identical buildings, a shop, a sandwich place and a pub.

Pretty sure you have to pay an annual fee to park down the back but could be wrong. That's what we were told anyway. Although it might be easy to get away with.

Prepare for a big change if you're used to the city centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Leinster D

I work there. It's depressing in my opinion.

It's not an industrial estate so it's not *that* bad but it's still just grey identical buildings, a shop, a sandwich place and a pub.

Pretty sure you have to pay an annual fee to park down the back but could be wrong. That's what we were told anyway. Although it might be easy to get away with.

Prepare for a big change if you're used to the city centre

Just wanted to reopen this thread. Starting in EP in a few weeks. I am a cyclist and will be coming from the south side.

Can anyone confirm if it's OK to enter the park by bycycle via bond road at the back of the park?

Also can people please confirm if underground secure bike sheds are provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can definitely enter via the Bond Road gates. Going through Eirfreeze may not be allowed, and also the approach roads are not even vaguely cycle friendly. Storage depends on where you are and what your employer arranged, there are various stands.

L1011 wrote: »
    You can definitely enter via the Bond Road gates. Going through Eirfreeze may not be allowed, and also the approach roads are not even vaguely cycle friendly. Storage depends on where you are and what your employer arranged, there are various stands.

Thanks.

I did a test run a few weeks ago and u go on the port tunnel road for about 30 metres and then turn off onto Dublin port and bond road. Wasn't sure if cyclists could go on this road.

Leinster D wrote: »
    Thanks.

I did a test run a few weeks ago and u go on the port tunnel road for about 30 metres and then turn off onto Dublin port and bond road. Wasn't sure if cyclists could go on this road.

You don't have to pass the motorway restrictions sign. Drivers are going to be (even more than usual) not expecting to see cyclists though.

Does anyone have comments about

1. Bike security in the area?
    2. Availability of bike stacks, railings, sheds etc if arriving in the park each dat at approx. 8:25am?

Starting a new job soon in the area. My company does not have an underground car park/bike garage so will be parking and locking bike, (nice bike approx. value €800) out in the open hopefully in front of the building, which I know has many security cameras.

I have heard of bikes being stolen from bike sheds which had cctv on them overnight. So defo dont leave bike out once park quietens down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

There are bike racks around the park and I understand more will be installed. As others said I wouldn't leave my bike overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Working in Eastwall and the local gurriers don't give a damn about cctv, have seen several bikes taken from the bike stands outside Mc Donald's in the past few weeks. They simply yank at them till the lock snaps, very unlikely any cctv will provide enough detail for the guards to actually press any charges.

Working in Eastwall and the local gurriers don't give a damn about cctv, have seen several bikes taken from the bike stands outside Mc Donald's in the past few weeks. They simply yank at them till the lock snaps, very unlikely any cctv will provide enough detail for the guards to actually press any charges.

Little bit harder for them to get in to Eastpoint

So if working in Eastpoint in Pinnacle 1 or 2 buildings (the largest buildings at the Port end of the park) are there any other options?

There are no underground secure sheds and bike stands outside the building are the only option. I would only be leaving the bike there from 8:30am to 6pm Mon to Fri. Would never leave overnight or over weekends.

Security at my new company advised there were problems a few years ago but since then they ramped up security checks and cctv and there have been no further incidents outside that building.

• Advertisement
Advertisement