Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former Mayor fined for illegal parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Hardly newsworthy to be honest, but I do find myself asking
    a) Why did a €40 fine make it to court?
    b) Why does it take the guts of nine months to tie off these processes?
    c) Why is he given two months to pay €40 and finally close the issue?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Fantastic. He's absolutely shameless in where he berths his Passat. For gods sake, he even had it parked on double yellows in one of his regular "stand next to something, pointing and looking disapprovingly" press releases in the local rags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Tight git let it go to court. He must really have thought the judge would make some special exception for him on account of his esteemed status at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Perhaps it wasn't reported, but any hint of an apology or regret are notable by there absence here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Mr_A wrote: »
    Perhaps it wasn't reported, but any hint of an apology or regret are notable by there absence here.

The only reason this made the papers is because of who he is and his attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Hardly newsworthy to be honest, but I do find myself asking
    a) Why did a €40 fine make it to court?
    b) Why does it take the guts of nine months to tie off these processes?
    c) Why is he given two months to pay €40 and finally close the issue?

As already stated, the usual reason for a court appearance is failure to pay the fine.

€40 is a derisory amount, given the amount of Wardens' time spent in court, and the cost of everyone else's time in processing the matter through the system.

Since illegal parking is commonplace, and the chances of a fine are very small, a €40 fine every now and again works out at a lot less than €2 per parking hour, which is the standard municipal rate in Galway. Effectively it's like a subscription, giving the motorist an option to park pretty much anywhere for a small hourly fee on average.

Its crazy having to pay 2 euro for an hour just to run into the shop for a few seconds. I have no issue with him parking for a few seconds to get his suit he was just unlucky to be caught, sure who doesnt park up for a few seconds on a double yellow every now and then (bar the odd hard "by the book" poster here)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Could have been worse. The Limerick mayor recently parked in a disabled spot. When he was caught, he complained about the person who took the photo, claiming that they had nothing better to do.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/limerick-mayors-car-spotted-in-disabled-parking-space-657935.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is a parking fine only €40 in Galway now? I am sure I got fined €80 and that was a few years ago.

Or is this €40 on top of the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

In court he admitted the offence.
    His failure to pay the 'on the spot' fine cost the State several multiples of that sum in order to bring the case to court.
    If right was right, he should have been fined several hundred euro to cover the total cost to the State.
    Always the same, one rule for them and another for us.
    Shame on him and the Judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Should the First Citizen lead by example? Or is it the classic politician / Councillor Pádraig Conneely behaviour of "Do as I say not what I do"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Its crazy having to pay 2 euro for an hour just to run into the shop for a few seconds. I have no issue with him parking for a few seconds to get his suit he was just unlucky to be caught, sure who doesnt park up for a few seconds on a double yellow every now and then (bar the odd hard "by the book" poster here)

Most of these spots where drivers like yourself just "park up for a few seconds" end up having a steady stream of like-minded drivers just pulling up for "a few seconds" all day long.

See Centra on Newcastle Road, or all along the road opposite UCHG.

bagels wrote: »
    In court he admitted the offence.
    His failure to pay the 'on the spot' fine cost the State several multiples of that sum in order to bring the case to court.
    If right was right, he should have been fined several hundred euro to cover the total cost to the State.
    Always the same, one rule for them and another for us.
    Shame on him and the Judge.

Have a guess who parks regularly right here.

Incidentally, some years ago I was chatting to a Garda at this very spot. He told me, with a straight face, that "there are no double yellow lines there".

J o e wrote: »
    Most of these spots where drivers like yourself just "park up for a few seconds" end up having a steady stream of like-minded drivers just pulling up for "a few seconds" all day long.

See Centra on Newcastle Road, or all along the road opposite UCHG.

And just about every school in the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Have a guess who parks regularly right here. Incidentally, some years ago I was chatting to a Garda at this very spot. He told me, with a straight face, that "there are no double yellow lines there".
    "You can't tell me what I see or don't see"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Have a guess who parks regularly right here.

Incidentally, some years ago I was chatting to a Garda at this very spot. He told me, with a straight face, that "there are no double yellow lines there".

Not sure how it works here but in the U.K. if the end of yellow lines does not have a yellow line from the kerb to the outer line, thus closing it off, or if the lines have been broken by road repairs and not re-painted they no longer apply as a no parking area.

That said, I would still not park on them because it would mean a visit to court, with photographs, to prove the point if you were issued with a ticket and although that would be fun it would also be time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is a parking fine only €40 in Galway now? I am sure I got fined €80 and that was a few years ago.

80 is for parking in a disabled bay without displaying a valud disability card. The 40 euro fines are the less serious ones like parking in a clearway/failure to display a ticket for parking etc. Tax fines are 60 i think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

dollybird2 wrote: »
    ScumLord wrote: »

80 is for parking in a disabled bay without displaying a valud disability card. The 40 euro fines are the less serious ones like parking in a clearway/failure to display a ticket for parking etc. Tax fines are 60 i think.
    I was done down by the courthouse, definitely wasn't a disabled parking spot. It's been a long time though. Now I just call the clamping guy and steal his car when he arrives, it's easier than waiting around for him to take the clamp off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

And just about every school in the city.

As an aside IW,was any study done in schools to determine the % of students who use public transport?

• Advertisement

PM sent.

Is it a secret?

PM sent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In the vast majority of places where there are double yellow lines they make perfect sense. If you are parked there you are creating an obstruction of some sort. I really don't get this 'lets challenge authority' attitude, it seems a bit childish. The double yellows are there to keep traffic moving efficiently, why would individuals brag about this not applying to them, or challenging them? Its just selfishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

looksee wrote: »
    In the vast majority of places where there are double yellow lines they make perfect sense. If you are parked there you are creating an obstruction of some sort. I really don't get this 'lets challenge authority' attitude, it seems a bit childish. The double yellows are there to keep traffic moving efficiently, why would individuals brag about this not applying to them, or challenging them? Its just selfishness.

I agree completely but the councils must make sure that their lines and signs comply with regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

looksee wrote: »

At certain locations, double yellows also serve to protect pedestrians and cyclists.

Now it's a conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it a secret?
    No, I think IW just wants to help this thread on the topic of the former mayor. Thanks IW if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

He probably thought they were complementing him on his driving when he saw "Parking Fine" at the top of the ticket.

• Advertisement

I see what you did there :P

Advertisement