Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lawns

• 20-01-2015 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

We laid 2 new lawns last year . I would be grateful to receive advice on lawn upkeep please.

Essentially I would like recommendations on fertilisers and weed killers.

I am keen to have two nice lush green lawns, weed and moss free, as maintenance free as possible.

In the past I admit to being overly generous with fertilisers, resulting in a weed free lawn but with brown/yellow patches and lawns with lush grass requiring mowing every second day to keep it from developing into a meadow.:o

Advice please.

Thank you

d.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hello Delthedriver

How has your lawn taken?
    Is there much weed growth?
    And is our soil wet & difficult to walk on after wet conditions?

Sorry for all the questions but each new lawn would require a different maintenance plan depending on your soil quality.

If grass growth is weak, then, in late March, in dry conditions you can lightly spring rake the surface & topdress with lawn seed & sand

If you have an issue with weeds then you should apply a lawn weed killer from April; Dicophar give great results

If your soil is damp, then keep of it until there is drier conditions and aerate using a hollow tine or digging fork

Then a regular cutting every 10 - 14 days is recommended. Start in Early Spring and gradually reduce the height down to approx 5cm

When cutting you should collect the cuttings but mulch once a month - this will return fertiliser back into the soil

If you want to boost growth - do so in mid spring, but has you said this will mean more cutting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I am keen to have two nice lush green lawns, weed and moss free, as maintenance free as possible.
    unfortunately, i suspect the two goals are somewhat at odds.
    i have a maintenance free lawn, in that i cut it once every week or two and do little else. but it's not weed and moss free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Thank you sincerely for your replies.

Front lawn has taken well little weed growth indeed grass is beginning to grow well, despite recent cold weather. Soil is quite firm

Back lawn is very poor was set twice last summer/ autumn.

Weeds took over the lawn first attempt.

Second attempt grass struggled , weed growth in last week has been amazing. Soil is heavy & soft , though garden is quite sheltered in terms of wind to dry it out.

I know I am looking for miracles, lush green lawns with low maintenance, however somewhere in the middle is probably ideal.

Best wishes

d:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hello Delthedriver

Its best to keep off your lawn now while conditions are wet
    But once the soil warms up the growth will kick in again

Your lawn will no doubt look a lot better by summer

If the weeds are really taking over then you should spot weed them with a lawn weed killer
    you can do this now

I would still recommend re seeding again in late march - just make sure that the last frosts have past

Let us know how you get on!

Advertisement