Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safest Cycle route into town from Lucan

• 20-01-2015 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Does anybody now the best way to go to town from Lucan? I have just moved to a house near Liffey Valley and would like to start cycling to town. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

pgemballa wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anybody now the best way to go to town from Lucan? I have just moved to a house near Liffey Valley and would like to start cycling to town. Thanks

Safest would be down to the Deadmans or over the liffey valley bridge over the m50 through palmerstown. I find the bus lane on the bypass fine and then you just have heuston and the quays.

Personally I think the n4 is fine once you build up your confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

What part of the city are you commuting to - are you living / working near the canal? Bike path all the way to the south of the city centre at grand canal street might be an option

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Another alternative would be to head south and pick up the Grand Canal, which gives you a traffic free run to Dolphin's barn. From there you've a number of options depending on where in town you're going. Its a bit slower, as you've gates to go through, but should be quite mellow if it leaves you anywhere you need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pgemballa

I am going to Talbot street, the down the quays would be the best option. thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭devonp

i use the N4 bus lane to past Deadmans (!!) Liffey Valley bustop, then the pedestrain /cycle bridge over M50 to old Galway Rd, take this to back pf Apple service station, back to N4 down into Chapilizod over bridge, all along Coyningham Rd the to the quays, i dony fancy the N4 Capilizod bypass at all very narrow lanes , i have used the Chapilizod bypass at weekends

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Idleater wrote: »
    Safest would be down to the Deadmans or over the liffey valley bridge over the m50 through palmerstown. I find the bus lane on the bypass fine and then you just have heuston and the quays.

Personally I think the n4 is fine once you build up your confidence

Instead of the bypass you can go down into Chapelizod (first slip after Palmerstown). That'll bring you down by the park to Heuston. I prefer that route myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

pgemballa wrote: »
    Hi all,

try the lower road in lucan through the strawberry beds & up into the park, if you go early enough(06.45ish) its not very busy, plus its a nice wee spin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Could go the Long Mile Road way in, avoid the n4 and come into town by the Coombe, onto the quays after Christchurch and you're in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Possibly down the back of Liffey Valley and through Ballyfermot, post Bally'er you have a number of choices, including the canal. As well as heading to Chapelizod (Theres a left turn halfway through Bally'er that is a short cut)

You could even turn off before Bally'er and zip by the prison and through Parkwest, then onto the Nangor road. You go past a few Canal enter points.

Or Down the Fonthill road to the Nangor road (You can also join the Canal at many points too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

OP heading to Talbot St from Lucan direction is not in general problematic.
    Head down the R113 to the roundabout for N4/Hermitage/Kings Hospital.
    I don't like the N4 over the M50 footbridge - i have found that motorists won't slow down and I don't feel like proving a point to a truck doing 80k.
    I head on the cycle path by the Deads Mans Inn buss top and use the cycle lane/old Galway road as far as Applegreen station. Rarely traffic and no traffic lights.

Chapelizod or the N4/Chapo bypass. The bypass is grand on the way into town in the morning. Despite that I prefer Chapo and the park or Chapo and Liffey Park - Memorial Gardens river route. Good surface and really nice of a morning.

The issue I feel that you will have is homeward bound in the evening.
    N4 inbound is grand - I have had three close misses in the N4 outbound. Cars in my view regularly try to use the bus lane and speed up. Also evening bus traffic in the bus lane outbound is heavier the bus traffic inbound in am. Consequently I rarely use N4 outbound - despite the big bus lane it is a horrible journey with buses regularly revving being you trying to squeeze pass.
    Others may differ but these are my experiences.

Best route to Liffey Valley in evening is through Ballyfermot.
    The most scenic route is Memorial Gardens to Chapo then Ballyfermot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

I live right beside liffey valley and go straight through ballyfermot then on to the N4 when you pass the liffey gaels then past the memorial park on to heuston and up the quays. traffic is almost zero up to the n4 but it's not too bad as you have the bus lane all the way into the city then

Advertisement