Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate automation - wireless v wired intercom

Options
  • 20-01-2015 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭

Hi, recently got a quote for gate automation of 2k to supply and fit gate automation kit, as well as groundwork.

The guy doing the work said I can have a fixed wired system with an intercom inside the front door or a wireless one which I can take around the house.
    I prefer the idea of the mobility of a wireless system since I may not hear it ringing inside the front door but I'm guessing it would not be as reliable.

Does anyone have any experience of the wireless intercoms, are they more prone to failure than the wired ones?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The advantage of a wired intercom is that it is a more robust system, less susceptible to interference and the components will cost less. The downsides are apparent: Increased labour costs (installing the intercom cable) and the handset is not mobile.

What distance are the gates from the house? Are the gate power and intercom cables installed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Distance to house is quite short, not more than around 10 metres as the house is situated towards the front of the site.

There aren't any cables installed but there's a pumphouse next to the gate so power is available.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

On the basis that the run is that short I am sure a quality wireless intercom would be very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

On the other hand why be a slave to the gate with your mobile wireless gizmo.
    Most wanted callers will have your phone number...

Despite the short distance, depending on whats in the house construction, they may not work.
    Anyone remember the wireless door bells.

Also what about a GSM based one instead

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement