Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private phone call asking to confirm my bank details

Options
  • 20-01-2015 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

HI,

I received a call from a private number, claiming to be the bank and asking me to confirm my banking details.
    This seems very insecure as i have no idea who is calling me, and they cant confirm who they are, yet i am expected to answer all the security questions related to handing my account.

I told her i would prefer to ring her back and she gave me a number 076-6xxxxx, put i cant find any info on this number online.

I can see some BOI numbers start with 076-624xxx but I cant be sure if they are related in that way.

Can you confirm if this number is legitimately associated with BOI and i can safely call it.

Cheers. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

HI,

I received a call from a private number, claiming to be the bank and asking me to confirm my banking details.
    This seems very insecure as i have no idea who is calling me, and they cant confirm who they are, yet i am expected to answer all the security questions related to handing my account.

I told her i would prefer to ring her back and she gave me a number 076-6244005, put i cant find any info on this number online.

I can see some BOI numbers start with 076-624xxx but I cant be sure if they are related in that way.

Can you confirm if this number is legitimately associated with BOI and i can safely call it.

Cheers. 
    Hi bankingbanking,

Thanks for your post and welcome to Boards.ie

The number is a Bank of Ireland, outbound verification number.

If you would like to send us a PM (Private Message) with your name and telephone number, we will be happy to arrange a call-back for you. When sending a PM, please ensure you have your signature set to display in your control panel settings.

Can I ask you to delete the telephone number in your post as it is an outbound number only?

Thanks for being so vigilant and taking the time to check this out.

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bankingbanking

Ok that is  grand. I will ring that number back myself.

Just it seems odd that I would get a call out of the blue from a private number.

Thanks.

Advertisement