Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completely lost

Options
  • 20-01-2015 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to say I'm in a very open-ended and confused point in my life.
    No degree, late twenties, no job, left Italy to come to Cork (and never go back).
    Some skills, but possibly useless to sustain myself (expert musician at this point, webdesigner but less skilled at that), some knowledge, few connections and a few Irish friends (you guys are awesome!).

Well, I don't know where to go or where to start. Stuck in the "need experience to get a job, need a job to get experience" loop, and can't manage to get the Jobseeker allowance (it was my hope to at least get into the jobbridge as an intern, and then go somewhere from there).
    So I'm starting to think: should I just go self employed and find myself some work to do? Advertise, network, collaborate with someone and just start doing things?
    Should I maybe start a small company?
    I do have something on the side to start it, and if it was webdesign, the starting costs are low.

I am here to ask for some advice from other people that have been entrepreneurs, employed, anything at all really. What do I start from? I am overwhelmed from the amount of information, I am learning and understanding lots of aspects in managing a business, but the more you research the more you find.
    I feel horrible cause I am so old and really have only worked occasionally, never on long hours and for a long period of time, the CV is basically a blank slate of experience in fields of work that don't interest any of the employers in this area (Cork).

I could study and learn on my own, I have initiative and will at this point.
    I already did last year, and I expanded so much on new things, but still, I am stuck and uncertain.
    So, what to do? Where to start?

Any opinion or advice is appreciated.

Sorry for the long post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You're in your late 20s you are not old!! Still plenty of time for you!!

Starting your own business might seem like a good way to create some work but you will still have the same problem of who will hire you and why would they hire you over someone more experienced?

If you are a talented musician maybe try list some jobs on fiver there are people making a surprising amount of money on there! It will at least give you the chance to get out there and once you do who knows what can happen.

If you are looking at something else other than music what are you experienced at and what are you good at? Is there anything in your area that you believe is in demand but that is not currently being taken advantage of?

By the sounds of it you should probably do some training courses with the idea of maybe starting your own business or something that is likely to lead to being employable somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

I feel horrible cause I am so old

Mate, you have another 50 years of work ahead of you! - dont be so hard on yourself - life skills can be more valuable to an employer than a Diploma from Donald Duck night college.

You need to pick your path but from what it sounds like you do need experience in something, even 3months internship. You could apply to places and work as an intern, doesn't have to be jobridge - some internships even pay an allowance or you could get something part-time, a quick job in a bar, restaurant, cleaning.

Entrepreneurialism is Risk..high risk, whatever you do, it could go banana up and you could be left with nothing. SO if you want to have your own web design business, work as a web designer for a few years first. However, if you decide to do something in a saturated market like web design, it can be even more of a struggle.

Its going to be tough and hard work no matter what you do so this is your chance to shine and add more life skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Downside, you have an education deficit. Web design production only represents an opportunity to the best skilled operators and even then it is a major uphill battle. Forget it.
    You are an expert musician, expert/qualified enough to teach music? If not what do you have to do to get there in terms of training education?. Many music teachers also join semi-professional bands to supplement income from gigs etc.
    You need to decide, make a plan and follow it, or you will be looking at the same scenario when you are 40/50/60......

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭stillalive88

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies!
    jimmii wrote: »
    Starting your own business might seem like a good way to create some work but you will still have the same problem of who will hire you and why would they hire you over someone more experienced?

If you are a talented musician maybe try list some jobs on fiver there are people making a surprising amount of money on there! It will at least give you the chance to get out there and once you do who knows what can happen.

If you are looking at something else other than music what are you experienced at and what are you good at? Is there anything in your area that you believe is in demand but that is not currently being taken advantage of?

Well if I sell it I can still do some jobs, the costs would be low and at the moment I'm living quite comfortably spending about 700 p/m so I would not need much at the beginning.
    I can still show a good portfolio and offer what they need, if I can.

But what is Fiverr? I went to open the site but I am not really sure exactly what people are selling: is it pdfs? Services? Online lessons?

I do not think I have any other skill beside music and "computer skills" to offer. I see they are looking a lot for people to handle networks of any kind, so maybe a cisco certificate might be useful... I don't know. I really feel like I will always need at least a small creative part in my job or I'll just wither with time. Is there really any area in demand that is not being taken advantage of in this troubled times?
    Buttercake wrote: »
    You need to pick your path but from what it sounds like you do need experience in something, even 3months internship. You could apply to places and work as an intern, doesn't have to be jobridge - some internships even pay an allowance or you could get something part-time, a quick job in a bar, restaurant, cleaning.

You are right, I'll probably look for internship. I'm a bit undecided though, I already have three people waiting for a website, so maybe I'll finish those one first. Maybe even easier to get in then, cause I'll have more to show from my side.
    pedronomix wrote: »
    Downside, you have an education deficit. Web design production only represents an opportunity to the best skilled operators and even then it is a major uphill battle. Forget it.
    You are an expert musician, expert/qualified enough to teach music? If not what do you have to do to get there in terms of training education?. Many music teachers also join semi-professional bands to supplement income from gigs etc.
    You need to decide, make a plan and follow it, or you will be looking at the same scenario when you are 40/50/60......

I am expert enough to teach music, but not qualified since the degree in drums in my country doesn't exist. But it might, I see that my school of music might finally get recognition this year. That would mean, finally, I would have a degree to show. The problem with drums is, it seems to me, no one plays it in this country, and it is so hard to have a place to practice it, with all these small houses attached to one another. I am even starting to think about giving piano lesson, an instrument I learned as a kid, at least that is doable. But still, yeah, I am really divided between the music and the idea of doing webdesign.
    But you guys seem to be very alarmed about it, is it really THAT much of a saturated market? I mean from now to the 2040s there only can be more and more websites, the demand should slowly increase in time, so why is it that saturated? Is it that the offer is even bigger? Is it that it is fairly easy for beginners to approach it?
    I do have an education deficit but I did not see any serious degrees for webdesign (in Cork, maybe in Dublin there is) that would give you more knowledge on the field than just looking for serious books and study them thoroughly, which was what I was doing last year.

I would gladly live on music, but I am in a panic that it could not sustain me. I think it is enormously devalued, extremely hard to master and with tiny tiny returns.
    I am also quite skilled as a recording studio engineer, but that industry is more than dead, and as clients it has musicians, which as said have tiny tiny income unless they go quite big. And the requirement in equipment is basically 100x costlier than webdesign, so that's a no no for me ):

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

But what is Fiverr? I went to open the site but I am not really sure exactly what people are selling: is it pdfs? Services? Online lessons?

Its anything and everything. You could sell short music lessons or jingles or write people a custom song anything. Have a look in the Music & Audio section see if there is anything you can do that you think might fit in well there.

Its something you could do quickly and easily with little start up costs and might be a bit of fun!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I am really divided between the music and the idea of doing webdesign.
    But you guys seem to be very alarmed about it, is it really THAT much of a saturated market? I mean from now to the 2040s there only can be more and more websites, the demand should slowly increase in time, so why is it that saturated? Is it that the offer is even bigger? Is it that it is fairly easy for beginners to approach it?
    I do have an education deficit but I did not see any serious degrees for webdesign (in Cork, maybe in Dublin there is) that would give you more knowledge on the field than just looking for serious books and study them thoroughly, which was what I was doing last year.

Bad or inexperienced people doing web design is saturated, plenty of computer savvy students doing it as a hobby/ source of small income etc. You then have plenty of companies who deal with just SME's and then you have top digital agencies dealing with the bigger brands. From what you are saying you don't have any design qualifications, you are just computer savvy and so can turn around a website for someone.

Are you up to speed with web design trends, do you understand responsive web design and why its important, SEO, good design techniques, UX and UI, are you familiar with working with mockup and prototyping tools. If you are saying no to most of them then you aren't realistically in a place to offer good web design and consider yourself a professional at.

Could you go to a local business and offer to build them a simple website with wordpress or joomla, sure but you wont get paid huge money with small businesses and if the website looks bad or isnt bringing in business then its only a matter of time before a professional company comes in and takes over the job or redoes the website for them.

Yes companies will need websites for years to come, but businesses are also becoming more tech and marketing savvy. They know just having a website sitting there is no use, they need to be actively using social media, they need a responsive website that works across all devices and they need a company that can give them good design and provide all these services.

If you try setup right now doing websites for people you will find yourself no better off in a few months or a year with a few clients you did basic brochure sites for and finding you cant compete because its so overly saturated at that level and you arent experienced enough to compete with the next level up. If you want to get into web design and be serious about it then you need to do a course, get some skills and look at UX and UI. Thats where the good money is and thats whats hiring right now. You should look to do a course and get a foot in the door somewhere at a junior position level and up skill as you go.

On the music side of things its not something I now a lot about but I do know there is a growing need for music in video games. If you are a music engineer and have the ability to produce and create music thats an area that would possibly have options job wise. There is also an increase in education around music with music on the leaving cert and music production etc being something students are more interested in now. If you have an interest in teaching/lecturing you could look into doing that in the field of music.

Hope that gives you something to think about and helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 vonievega

Ha ha I'm 60 and something like yourself minus expert musician and web designer. Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do. Better get myself in gear time is running out unemployed at the moment.
    Time flies.
    Started in Amazon, let go after 10 days 'incompetant'. Bit of a confidence basher that.
    How about approaching a few of the local schools to teach a night classes. That would give you a step in the door and connections. They have printed their prospectus for spring, get in there for Autumn with music and Italian. The school of music would be another starting point or PLC courses especially with expert skills like you have.
    Maybe join your local LEO enterprise board or try the chamber of commerce and their networking nights.You could also try UCC to tutor Italian.
    In the interim give Philosophy a go, amazing subject.Good luck for the future and always look on the bright side of life If life seems jolly rotten
    There's something you've forgotten
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing
    When you're feeling in the dumps
    Don't be silly chumps
    Just purse your lips and whistle, that's the thing

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭stillalive88

Axwell wrote: »
    Bad or inexperienced people doing web design is saturated, plenty of computer savvy students doing it as a hobby/ source of small income etc. You then have plenty of companies who deal with just SME's and then you have top digital agencies dealing with the bigger brands. From what you are saying you don't have any design qualifications, you are just computer savvy and so can turn around a website for someone.

Are you up to speed with web design trends, do you understand responsive web design and why its important, SEO, good design techniques, UX and UI, are you familiar with working with mockup and prototyping tools. If you are saying no to most of them then you aren't realistically in a place to offer good web design and consider yourself a professional at.

Could you go to a local business and offer to build them a simple website with wordpress or joomla, sure but you wont get paid huge money with small businesses and if the website looks bad or isnt bringing in business then its only a matter of time before a professional company comes in and takes over the job or redoes the website for them.

Yes companies will need websites for years to come, but businesses are also becoming more tech and marketing savvy. They know just having a website sitting there is no use, they need to be actively using social media, they need a responsive website that works across all devices and they need a company that can give them good design and provide all these services.

If you try setup right now doing websites for people you will find yourself no better off in a few months or a year with a few clients you did basic brochure sites for and finding you cant compete because its so overly saturated at that level and you arent experienced enough to compete with the next level up. If you want to get into web design and be serious about it then you need to do a course, get some skills and look at UX and UI. Thats where the good money is and thats whats hiring right now. You should look to do a course and get a foot in the door somewhere at a junior position level and up skill as you go.

On the music side of things its not something I now a lot about but I do know there is a growing need for music in video games. If you are a music engineer and have the ability to produce and create music thats an area that would possibly have options job wise. There is also an increase in education around music with music on the leaving cert and music production etc being something students are more interested in now. If you have an interest in teaching/lecturing you could look into doing that in the field of music.

Hope that gives you something to think about and helps.

Well for the web design everything did start with a course, a HETAC 7, but only a part time course worth 20 ECTS, so after that I got myself studying all I could on my own. The design part, trying to find information about SEO (seriously, how do the real companies find anything serious about that? it's so foggy!), the responsiveness.
    Now I need to bring myself up to speed to the latest trends, research on UX and UI (or maybe find a course, if there is one), and I have to admit, I have never even thought there could be tools to actually help you with prototypes and mockup! That really is a great tip!

Yes I did realize most of the things I needed it seems, what I thought I could do was study and expand while working on projects and gradually improve. Collaborate with other people also, as it does not seem to be possible to do everything alone after a certain point. Somehow I dream of my own business, with a few partners, but it's sooo far away.
    Do you think it is possible to gradually evolve, or would you say there is a huge entry barrier then? Couldn't I get better, through all the small projects at the beginning?

Yes on the music I am starting to look more and more seriously to options. In my country it is basically dead, the teaching, the playing, even the listening, people kinda does not care anymore. In my city (250k people, mind ya), there may be I think 5 music pubs, with 2 concerts per week average. I had abandoned music there, losing all hope, but it seems so much more alive here. I will surely give it a try. Wonder though if it is even more wrong to try web design while splitting myself in another direction.
    vonievega wrote: »
    Ha ha I'm 60 and something like yourself minus expert musician and web designer. Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do. Better get myself in gear time is running out unemployed at the moment.
    Time flies.
    Started in Amazon, let go after 10 days 'incompetant'. Bit of a confidence basher that.
    How about approaching a few of the local schools to teach a night classes. That would give you a step in the door and connections. They have printed their prospectus for spring, get in there for Autumn with music and Italian. The school of music would be another starting point or PLC courses especially with expert skills like you have.
    Maybe join your local LEO enterprise board or try the chamber of commerce and their networking nights.You could also try UCC to tutor Italian.
    In the interim give Philosophy a go, amazing subject.Good luck for the future and always look on the bright side of life If life seems jolly rotten
    There's something you've forgotten
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing
    When you're feeling in the dumps
    Don't be silly chumps
    Just purse your lips and whistle, that's the thing

At the very least I owe you a beer. Or two. Even three.
    I keep being amazed by the people I meet here.
    Well thank you for the advice, I think I am actually going to do all of it.
    As for you, there must be some ability or skill you can exploit, no?
    My dad became self employed at age 53 (let go by the business that was employing him), was terrified at first but now he seems really happy. Has lots of work exploiting all the connections made through the years.
    Thanks for the poetry.

P.s.: Most young people I know that work for multinationals, they all speak well of them, except the ones in Amazon.

Advertisement