Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To A Man With 2 Mothers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭spikeS

Just read about your story in the indo and want to say you are an inspiration, thank you for doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Sonics2k wrote: »
    1. Yup, they've both had other partners over the years. I believe they've both had two long term relationships each, the most recent going for about 10 years or so. Couldn't tell you exactly how long they were between relationships, I think it was about a year or two at a guess.

2. No more awkward for me than it was for them I'd say. They both have pretty good taste, so neither showed up with a total train wreck haha

3. Yeah that would extend to the other side of the family too, though a lot of that comes down to their living in England and Scotland.

4. That I genuinely do not know. As he's not on my birth certificate in anyway, I'd have no legal right to get his medical information without his consent. That's a big guess, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on that one.

Thanks for the reply, all makes sense I suppose! By the way I just realised my questions were nothing to do with them being gay, I can't decide if this is a good or a bad thing! :-P

Nah I was just trying to compare your situation with my own, I grew up with a single mother and I met my dad when I was 18. Like you, I never thought much about meeting him until he made the first move and I said I'd give him a chance. Now we get on pretty well, have loads in common (says a lot about the nature/nurture question).

D'ya reckon you'd do the same if your father got in touch? Give him a chance and see how it goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Richie15 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, all makes sense I suppose! By the way I just realised my questions were nothing to do with them being gay, I can't decide if this is a good or a bad thing! :-P

Nah I was just trying to compare your situation with my own, I grew up with a single mother and I met my dad when I was 18. Like you, I never thought much about meeting him until he made the first move and I said I'd give him a chance. Now we get on pretty well, have loads in common (says a lot about the nature/nurture question).

D'ya reckon you'd do the same if your father got in touch? Give him a chance and see how it goes?

Fair enough!

I don't see any reason why I wouldn't give him a fair chance, I'm sure we'd both have some interesting stories to tell, plus he could give me a few funny stories about both my mothers. I'm sure there's plenty of good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chaz_angel

have you a blog, or do you know of a gay parents blog. I don't have a lot of questions yet but I'm sure when baby is born I'll have millions and reading all your answers so far has been great. listening to all the debates was scaring the bejesus out of us that school was going to be awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Read somewhere Soniks2 is gonna be on RTE radio 1 this morning?

hope it's true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

david75 wrote: »

hope it's true

Sean O'Rourke's show apparently. He will be debating with Dr Joanna Rose on Radio One at around 11 in the morning. Her area of interest is ending sperm donor anonymity as she was conceived by non-traditional methods and she is a member of "Mothers and Fathers Matter".

Not sure why this is specific to the debate on marriage equality considering that heterosexual couples and homosexual couples have already been going this route if they're unable to conceive, with the vast majority being heterosexual couples. Doesn't seem to be relevant to SSM at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Good luck sonics2!

david75 wrote: »

hope it's true

Hi all,

Yes, I will be speaking on RTE Radio 1 with Sean O'Rourke and Dr Joanna Rose will be speaking too.

I will be honest and say this whole thread got so much bigger than I'd ever expected and obviously gained far more media attention that I imagined.

I've never spoken on the Radio before and I'm not exactly a public speaker, so I have no idea how this will go. I'm just going to do my best to speak from my own experience and life, and hopefully some people will take that on board in the next referendum.

Best of luck Sonics. Your's is the voice of experience that hasn't been heard yet so I've no doubt in my mind that it'll be of extreme value to people. Thank you so much for doing this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Youll be grand and thanks again for taking the time to do this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Just be yourself sonik.

You've been doing an eexcellent job on this thread and I've no doubt you will do excellent on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Best of luck! Really delighted you are doing this. Its so important that those who are waivering get to hear your voice on this issue. Might shut a certain Iona 'Institute' patron up too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Just read the whole thread, and it's by far my favourite thing I've ever read here.

I have no questions at the moment anyway, I just wanted to say thank you and well done, you seem like an absolute gent. Best of luck on the radio this morning, must be nerve wracking!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Good luck Sonic, is it going to be at 11 or at the start of the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

He's on now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Well done Sonics2K.

It crazy how a simple AMA thread has lead to all this media discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,899 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I've no questions to ask here, just wanted to say congratulations Sonics on a fantastic thread and the way you conducted yourself on the radio just now. You're an absolute credit to your parents and a fine example to your children and everyone else who has been following this AMA and listened to your interview.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have a question for you - do your own kids or their friends think it's funny to have so many grannies? They must have 5 if you include your mothers' partners and your fiancées mother. Or is it just a case of no big deal, it just is what it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

It can be found on RTE Player, starts at about 1.20
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Before there's a potential influx of radio listeners,I think someone should post the important questions about the male child of two lesbians:

Best time for green hill zone 1?

Thoughts on releasing sonic & knuckles as an expansion for sonic 3?

Any dogs?

Any lesbian dogs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Fair play to Finbarr who kept his cool even when Rose seemed determined to get angry at him for her own circumstances.(1)

(1) Which I completely sympathise with but donor laws have nothing to do with equal marriage. You could teleport every single homosexual to Mars and donor-conceived children by straight parents would still not know who their parents were. (2)

(2) And in any case, Rose knows who her father is but he does not want contact. You can't legislate for that.

P.

Hi all,

I just wanted to post and say thank you to everyone for listening and the support. I haven't listened to the podcast myself, I've never liked the sound of my own voice so I still don't know how I actually did.

Now for the questions!
    Before there's a potential influx of radio listeners,I think someone should post the important questions about the male child of two lesbians:

Best time for green hill zone 1?

Thoughts on releasing sonic & knuckles as an expansion for sonic 3?

Any dogs?

Any lesbian dogs?

An all too common misconception of where Sonics comes from! Whilst I love the Sonic games, it's not where the name comes from.

1. I also loved the idea of flying a plane, and once at Heathrow airport I got to see a concorde and heard a Sonic Boom later on.I've based most of my online names on a variation of Sonic or Sonics, even in Warcraft!

2. More Knuckles in the game is always a good thing! Except Sonic Boom. To hell with that game.

3. Sadly none in my own house as we have no garden. My biological mother has 5 of them. We actually do a little bit of charity work for dogs on the side too.

4. Uh, I also suspected one of them was. Anytime a male dog went near her she had no interest at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ellybabes

Apparently it's been 18 months since I last posted on boards, but I just had to today, to say thanks to Sonics2k, for going forward and doing the radio interview today.

The woman who was also participating in the discussion was quite crazy and I personally wouldn't have been able to stay calm, as she didn't seem to be able to grasp the fact that this referendum doesn't change anything about kids being created via IVF or sperm donation.

Thanks to Sonics2k for doing what he did and coming across as very sane!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭keynesian

I've had great fun reading your posts, it sounds like you had a painful middle class upbringing ;-)

I also listened to you on the radio and sorry but your a great public speaker, although you sound very straight and this is my question ....

What was it like when you told your ma you were straight, "come out" to them so to speak, was she shock and like how did it happen?

(Bad joke question aside, what your doing is great, give me hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Heard that interview today, didn't realise it was you Sonics. Well done, you came across brilliantly.

I also thought you were great in the interview Sonics - a really nice strong voice without a hint of nerves, and of course the content of your answers were spot on.

Hopefully you'll forgive me for this slightly cheeky and completely irrelevant question, but I was just telling my bf about the radio interview and some of the questions you fielded up here. It popped into my head that I find it quite awkward sometimes watching a film with my older teen (16) when a sex scene comes up and a studious and pained silence ensues. I've often thought that hetero fathers might feel less awkward watching those moments with their sons, and mothers with daughters as perhaps they're appreciating the same ...em...physical qualities of the actors.

My question is did you ever notice having a similar appreciation for a particular actress with either of your mothers?! Impertinent, sorry! Don't answer if that was a weird question :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you were very good on the radio
    the doctor lady is stupid, she even said "i'm not exactly stupid" which is what stupid people say

well done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It can be found on RTE Player, starts at about 1.20
    :)

Thanks for that, Jelly beans, and even more thanks to Sonics2k, for the thread, which I've been following since the beginning and also for the radio interview.

I'm puzzled by why the other interviewee is there at all - her story, sad as it is for her, has nothing to do with the topic. As Sonics pointed out at the start of the interview!

They might as well have brought in an adopted child to make the same point - all very good, or not. But not related to the marriage referendum. I wonder is that simply because they couldn't actually find anyone to argue that side of the debate whose personal experience was relevant?

Oh and yes, Sonics, you came across really well. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭volchitsa

This Dr Rose woman, her problem is with IVF and adoption rather than with same sex marriage. If a woman had a child in a heterosexual relationship, was widowed or abandoned and then formed a new SS relationship, her objection would be completely irrelevant, because it's not so much about the situation in which children are brought up as about preventing infertile couples from having children at all.

She really was just irrelevant to the topic in Ireland. Not surprising I guess - she's English, and O think she only had the vaguest of ideas of what the issue here is. She seemed to have been having her own argument rather than what everyone else was discussing : hers was sperm donation is bad.

I wish O Rourke had asked her what she thinks about IVF using donor sperm, and sometimes donor eggs too. Seeing as she was completely off topic anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Well done, both for this thread and the radio piece. You are very articulate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement