Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior Dog Food

• 20-01-2015 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm sorry, I know there are a million dog food threads but just a quick question in relation to senior foods and their benefits? I have two yorkies, one approx 10 years old (we have him 5) and one is coming 7 this year. They are both fit and healthy thankfully but hoping to change them onto better quality food.

My preference would be Taste of the Wild BUT I need to be able to get a medium sized bag ie 6 or 7kg at a time as I don't like to leave it sitting open for too long once open so buying online isn't great as it does work out pretty expensive for that size bag. Is Amazon S&S the best option if I do go with TOTW? They don't seem to have all flavours in that size either.

Other options that I can get in the local petshop would be Clinivet, Barking Heads or Wafcol (Salmon & Potato). Clinivet doesn't do a grain free but other two do.

Any thoughts on senior versus regular food for the two dogs and also which one I should go for..

Thanks.:D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Going by memory but as I recall the difference between "normal adult" and senior dog food is usually the fat & protein content being lower as the dogs are not able to burn as much running around etc.

With that in mind you could go with MM Black Angus Senior which comes in 3kg bags at slightly less than ToTW price per kg and it's also grain free but has rice. That would allow you to not have to open bigger bags while still maintain a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

I have my 11(ish) yr old LabX on Barking Heads Golden Years. Definitely recommend it. I noticed a difference in her within a few days of switching, now I wouldn't change. She dropped extra weight, got more pep in her step, and stiffness in her elbows reduced significantly. That was about 3 yrs ago. She's still doing great.
    Is also available in 6k bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thank you both.

I dont know if they need senior food though? They are both in good shape, no stiffness etc. Was just looking at TOTW on Amazon and its not that bad actually. £22.79 on S&S for a 6.8kg bag..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taste-Wild-High-Prairie-Food/dp/B000W5U5H6/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1421701597&sr=1-5&keywords=taste+of+the+wild

I dont see a Senior one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

A good senior dog food would also consider a dog's teeth, so may be a bit softer, or easier for the dog to chew. Also extra support for kidneys etc, not just joints and energy levels. :)

So no harm to give to the younger one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

toadfly wrote: »
    So no harm to give to the younger one?

I wouldn't have thought so, if you're going for something of that quality, its going to be good food anyway. It would depend on the energy levels of the younger dog, but you could always supplement with some meat a few times a week if you wanted to feed the same kibble, but had that concern.

Thanks for the input, I ended up going with TOTW, http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000W5U5H6/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_primg

I couldnt find a senior food I was happy with so this will do until I figure it out. The 10 year old is fit, not stiff getting out of bed in the morning, well able to jump onto the couch and our bed so hopefully he'll do well on this. Might try and get some supplements instead of changing to senior food. Any recommendations? He is around 4kg.

Advertisement