Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can u turn on your heat from your phone

• 20-01-2015 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi looking for a device that will turn on my heating if I call it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I have one. I call it "The Wife" ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭johnjoe 123

spyderski wrote: »
    I have one. I call it "The Wife" ;-)

Ha very good but I ain't married pal !!

Micky dolenz joey lips r u guys out there help !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

The Google owned NEST Thermostat does this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

On a more serious note, Electric Ireland are doing a deal where if you sign up for 2 years you get a free Nest device. Its basically a fancy, internet connected thermostat which you can control from your phone. It also learns your habits over time, so should know when to turn on heat automatically. Theres a thread on it somewhere on boards but I can't be bothered to look for it. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

If you have wifi, it is hard to beat Wemo for price.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭padre78

We have a "Heatmiser" system which allows you to control it via the mobile. they have an app which you can also use depending on the zoning of your house etc. To tell you the truth we hardly ever use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I have the LightwaveRF system. Decent range of light switches, relays, sockets and heating controllers (including radiator TRVs) available via Maplin among others.

Thanks guys il go for the nest or the wemo have u any idea on price etc

Can u get such a device that dosnt require wifi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can u get such a device that dosnt require wifi

Climote uses a sim card:> https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential-energy-services/home-services/smart-heating-controls.jsp

Costs €36 a year for the running of it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

If just using phone for control without wifi, I like the look of this.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121547673052?nav=SEARCH

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

The lightwaveRF option requires a broadband connection for remote operation, but doesn't require WiFi. You'll still be able to turn things on/off via a browser, but would require WiFi to use a smartphone as a remote control within the home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Nest just adjusts how warm your house is and turns off your heating when your not there. Climote is the better option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

adam88 wrote: »
    Nest just adjusts how warm your house is and turns off your heating when your not there. Climote is the better option

No i'd have to disagree with you there, i got the Nest installed a few weeks ago and it is far far better and smarter than Climote.

All climote does is let you change your timer remotely, Nest is much smarter, It built me a heating schedule automatically, it learned when i was away, i can set minimum and maximum temperatures i can monitor my energy usage, it tells me when my adjustments cause me to use more than normal, it monitors the weather and does so much more than a climote.

Climote is just a way of accessing a basic programmer from your phone, Nest is that PLUS a thermometer and energy usage monitor with 100 times more functionality.

Plus climote has an one going fee of 36 euro a year, Nest is free to use

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Top Corner

MESSAGE DELETED...ADVERTISING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

adam88 wrote: »

I'd disagree with you there. Best has occupancy sensors and learns your pattern. If your not home it'll turn off the boiler.

Climote is a programmable thermostat which you can switch on and off remotely it aldo has an annual fee.

So unless you actually take out your phone and turn off the unit when away it won't save you money.

As it's coming into spring I woikd be inclined to leave the system as is till next October. The British gas hive system should be here by then and that looks good

Advertisement