Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish passport renewal from the US

Options
  • 20-01-2015 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hello All,
    Has anyone ever gone through passport renewal in the US? Mine is up in June and luckily I won't need all the visas in there since I just got my greencard. I am hoping to go on holiday in July. Does anyone have any experiences with this process?
    Thanks,
    Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Macker2001

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Hello All,
    Has anyone ever gone through passport renewal in the US? Mine is up in June and luckily I won't need all the visas in there since I just got my greencard. I am hoping to go on holiday in July. Does anyone have any experiences with this process?
    Thanks,
    Darren

Not sure where your located but there is an Irish consulate in Boston that will renew for you

+1-617-267-9330

On Boylston St.

They could probably also let you know if there is one in your location

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Macker2001 wrote: »
    Not sure where your located but there is an Irish consulate in Boston that will renew for you

I have contacted them. They were pretty slow to respond. Got the forms from them and have not done anything with it yet. Trying to see what the timeline is or if it would be better to send it home and do it through the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Try calling the embassy in NY. They will issue passports at short notice if necessary. You would need a good reason such as short notice for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Phone up the embassy or your nearest consulate (mine was NYC) and they post you the forms. Send them back with your old passport and your new one shows up in the post. Pretty easy. Think it just took a week or so.
    Hello All,
    Thanks,
    Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Gandhi wrote: »
    Phone up the embassy or your nearest consulate (mine was NYC) and they post you the forms. Send them back with your old passport and your new one shows up in the post. Pretty easy. Think it just took a week or so.

I need it by June as above. I am not sure of the standard timelines going through the embassy, trying to figure that out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Macker2001

I need it by June as above. I am not sure of the standard timelines going through the embassy, trying to figure that out...
    No more than 8 weeks. So plenty of time. They do have emergency services also with proof of travel. Not sure how you could go through an post think you need a garda signature and you need to be present

Also I know plenty of people who went through this route

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I got mine thru the NY office. I filled in the forms, sent in the old passport, and I think I had the new one in a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

did it in NY at the consulate, although this was about 10 years ago.
    It was actually a complete pain in the arse then because the form to be completed had to be witnessed by "a guard or a priest", which wasn't a very practical request of someone living in NY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

The form just needs to be signed by a notary, your local library should have one, most banks have one as well. It should be straight forward. Make sure you have the correct size photos and fees and you should be all set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

According to their website, renewing through the consulate in Chicago would usually take six to eight weeks: https://www.dfa.ie/irish-consulate/chicago/passports/top-passport-questions/can-i-get-my-passport-today/ which would probably be a fair indication of the length of time it would take if doing it through any other consulate.

The last time I renewed mine in USA was through New York & it took less than a month, but that was about fifteen years ago, so nothing to go by.

Even if it took twice as long as it says in the link above you'd still have it by June if you applied now. I'd imagine that passport applications from consular offices (which would travel in a diplomatic bag) would all end up in a specific section of the Irish passport office & as a result possibly wouldn't be subject to the same delays as regular postal applications from within Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Send it home and have someone there send it in via passport express?

That's what I did for my daughters passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

RGDATA! wrote: »
    did it in NY at the consulate, although this was about 10 years ago.
    It was actually a complete pain in the arse then because the form to be completed had to be witnessed by "a guard or a priest", which wasn't a very practical request of someone living in NY.
    I renewed mine in NY about 10 years ago too. I remember nearly having a meltdown when an assistant bank manager where I had an account for more than 10 years refused to countersign for me. I don't remember who I got to witness it in the end.

The list of people who can witness your signature is below. I think that the list might be longer than it once was.
    A member of one of the professions listed below can witness your passport application form as long as they are satisfied as to your identify and that your four photos are a true likeness of you. Make sure you bring photo identification with you and be aware that the witness may ask you for more proof of identification - this is at their discretion.
    • Police officer
    • Member of clergy
    • Medical doctor
    • Lawyer
    • Bank manager/assistant bank manager
    • Elected public representative
    • Notary public/commissioner for oaths
    • Peace commissioner
    • School principal/vice principal
    • Accountant
    This is the same as the list of witnesses for passport applications/renewals for Irish residents, except that the first one is listed as Member of the Garda Síochána.

They say "If you are resident outside of Ireland, you need to use an APS2 application form." Irish residents use APS1. Form APS2 is not available for download, OP will probably need to have it mailed out from his local embassy/consulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I got mine renewed when I was living in Atlanta. I got an official at my bank to sign my form. He wasn't the bank manager, but he was a Notary Public. Sent everything off (to a Boston consular office I think) and got the new passport back in just a couple of weeks. I was shocked at how quick it was.

I mentioned it to a friend of a friend who used to work in the passport office. He said that passport applications from overseas, get sent back to Ireland in the weekly Dept of Foreign Affairs diplomatic pouch. They go straight to the Ballbriggan processing centre, so they bypass the Passport Office completely & all of its backlogs or queues. Once in Balbriggan, they get priority & its not unusual for the new passport to get sent back to its applicant in under a week. It's been a few years since I was told that, so I have no idea if it's still true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 boise1

I sent a passport renewal off two months ago as of today ( Chicago consulate ) and am still waiting for it to come back. Maybe it was extra slow due to the holidays?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭eire4

boise1 wrote: »
    I sent a passport renewal off two months ago as of today ( Chicago consulate ) and am still waiting for it to come back. Maybe it was extra slow due to the holidays?????

I have had my passport renewed through the Chicago consulate as well and think it did take a bit before I finally had my new passport in my hands but it did get done in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Passports can only be processed where you are permanently resident. In the OP's case a call to the Consulate in Boston and they will post out the form. If you live in the Boston area and decide to bypass the Consulate and send the form to New York they will just send it back to Boston.

The passport form is not available online. You should have the passport back within 6 weeks.

Advertisement