Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line connection

Options
  • 20-01-2015 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm trying to get a phone line connected to a house I've moved into without success. In the last two weeks there have been a number of contractors and engineers out to the house who keep leaving after an hour or two saying that Eircom needs to fix the line before they can do anything. 

Between people not turning up when they say they will, different excuses being given, the contractors not knowing what Eircom is doing and vice versa, the whole thing is getting ridiculous. An extremely poor service by Eircom and the contractors.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Ulick_ wrote: »
    I'm trying to get a phone line connected to a house I've moved into without success. In the last two weeks there have been a number of contractors and engineers out to the house who keep leaving after an hour or two saying that Eircom needs to fix the line before they can do anything. 

Between people not turning up when they say they will, different excuses being given, the contractors not knowing what Eircom is doing and vice versa, the whole thing is getting ridiculous. An extremely poor service by Eircom and the contractors.
    Sorry to hear this Ulick_

Feel free to PM me your order number & I'll look in to this further

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ulick_

Any chance of a response guys?

Any chance of a response guys?
    Hello Ulick_

I have request an update on your order from operations and as soon as I have further information I will let you know right away.

Thanks
    Al

Still waiting...

Still waiting...
    Hi Ulick_

I'm still awaiting a works update and forecast date for your order, I will again request urgency and get back to you as soon I receive any further information

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

The contactors were due out again on Tuesday. One of them rang later that morning to say they couldn't make it and would be there on Wednesday morning. Needless to say they didn't show again and I spent all my mobile phone call credit while on hold for almost an hour trying to get through to them. He eventually rang at 4pm to say he wouldn't be able to make it and couldn't tell me when he could come out.

I rang the contractors company again and was told they'd make it an urgent job and would call me back first thing this morning with a new date. Of course they didn't call so I had to ring them again this morning to be told that the new date would be 9th Feb and they couldn't make it any sooner because the date was fixed by Eircom. I told her that Eircom told me yesterday that this was untrue and that the 9th Feb was a final completion date and she insisted there was nothing they could do, it was 9th Feb or nothing. I asked how I could make a complaint and she said I couldn't complain because they don't have a complaints department!

Never in my life have I ever experienced such an unacceptably poor service. A month now to get a phone connected in a house that already has three lines installed, and still not a sign of when it's going to be completed. Any other western European country would have this completed within hours, not days, weeks or months!

The contactors were due out again on Tuesday. One of them rang later that morning to say they couldn't make it and would be there on Wednesday morning. Needless to say they didn't show again and I spent all my mobile phone call credit while on hold for almost an hour trying to get through to them. He eventually rang at 4pm to say he wouldn't be able to make it and couldn't tell me when he could come out.

I rang the contractors company again and was told they'd make it an urgent job and would call me back first thing this morning with a new date. Of course they didn't call so I had to ring them again this morning to be told that the new date would be 9th Feb and they couldn't make it any sooner because the date was fixed by Eircom. I told her that Eircom told me yesterday that this was untrue and that the 9th Feb was a final completion date and she insisted there was nothing they could do, it was 9th Feb or nothing. I asked how I could make a complaint and she said I couldn't complain because they don't have a complaints department!

Never in my life have I ever experienced such an unacceptably poor service. A month now to get a phone connected in a house that already has three lines installed, and still not a sign of when it's going to be completed. Any other western European country would have this completed within hours, not days, weeks or months!
    I'm genuinely sorry to hear this Ulick,

I have not been offered an installation date but I will address this with operations to see if an earlier date can be agreed

Thanks
    Al

Okay so the latest update was that all my complaining seemed to do the trick and I was given a 'priority' appointment for Friday 30 Jan. Low and behold two lads arrived out on Friday morning to do the installation. They tinkered around until just after lunchtime and then disappeared. I rang the contractors office about 3.30pm to be told they were still on the job. Up the road a bit apparently, though where exactly we did not know. Needless to say the job wasn't finished as it 'was getting dark' (up the road), but fear not, the contractors would give me a ring on the mobile with an update. Not having received said update, I rang again on Mon 2 Feb to see if they were going to come back to finish the job. Hurrah! They would be back on Thursday 5 Feb to complete the job. Thursday duly arrived and I received a call from the contractor. "We're outside your house today, this is a priority job and we're the engineers of last resort. This job will be finished today!". Double Hurrah Hurrah!
    All goes well, yes connected the line, we'll just fix the box here above the skirting, in your children's playroom in this annex/conservatory area.
    Hold on a minute we say, but Eircom said we could have it anywhere within three meters of the front door, not 4 meters away from the back door in a room where nobody goes except 5 very young children.
    Sorry boss, no can do, we have to put it we the previous boxes were (before they were pulled off the wall and the new line feed in through the same hole in the wall).
    But instead of feeding the line through that hole in the wall, could you not put it in somewhere else, at least somewhere where the children would be unlikely to interfere with box and we might hear a phone ring?
    No we couldn't do that boss, if it wasn't done right and fell down or something, we would be responsible!
    Yes... and...?
    Well we just can't be responsible for doing that.
    But Eircom said...
    You were misinformed! We can't take responsibility for the line falling down off your house or something.
    So... let me get this, you would rather leave this electrified box, loose lines and phone in a spot where young children play unattended, than route it round the corner or even put it higher up the same wall a bit where they can't reach?
    Yeah... we can be responsible for what could happen outside your house.
    But your happy to leave a potentially harmful installation inside where my children play?

***engineers run off down the road, get into van and drive off**

I then phone the contractors office and get put though to a supervisor by the long suffering girl answering the phones.
    Listen, you were misinformed by Eircom, if there was a previous line into the house that's where we put it.
    But it's not even in the house proper, it's in an annex which the previous tenants had converted into an office. There a locked door between there and the back of the house. It's now a children's playroom (because it's good for nothing else tbh).
    Okay, would three meters from that point get it out of the room?
    Yes, yes, just move it somewhere away from the children.
    Right, hold on a minute... 

*hangs up and line goes dead*

**engineers return in their van**

Right we can attached a three meter data port extension to the box and route it around the skirting out of the room (into the conservatory porch). 
    So we plug the phone into that?
    No boss that's for your Internet.

Take your data port extension and leave please.

Advertisement