Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairs and Testing/Diagnostics -Phantom 2 FPV

Options
  • 20-01-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

I have a Phantom 2 and got passed on a lot of FPV gear. I'm new to FPV so struggling to get it working. I'm not 100% sure what the issue is whether it's me and how I'm connecting it all up or whether something is broken, like transmitter etc.

I have goggles, 5.8 receiver with monitor, iosd mini, transmitter, gopro clone but can't get anything on the goggles or the monitor. I have tried all the channels on both but just get a very faint picture or static on goggles and nothing on monitor. Very frustrating trying to pinpoint the problem when it could be anything in the chain.

Is there anywhere I could go to have it looked at? Maybe someone with a working setup could test my parts with theirs?

I'm Wicklow based but up in Dublin quite a bit also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Post some pictures of your setup here- we might be able to spot something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

This is most of the bits I have and how they connect together

There's no power going to your video transmitter - needs a red wire as well as yellow (signal) and black (ground).

Is it a 500mw 5.8g boscam? It looks like one, whch would mean 12v needed on the red wire.

civdef wrote: »
    There's no power going to your video transmitter - needs a red wire as well as yellow (signal) and black (ground).

Is it a 500mw 5.8g boscam? It looks like one, whch would mean 12v needed on the red wire.

I should have stated I have the power coming direct from my Phantom but just didn't add this to the pictures.
    So when running there is power coming from the Phantom and the Mini Iosd is also connected in to the Phantom.

I believe the TX is this one
    http://radiocontrolledshop.ie/video-downlinks-antennas-fpv-video-senders-fpv-receivers/7304-dys-58g-500mw-wireless-video-transmitter-sender-tx500.html

Does your gopro clone defibitely have live video out? Some of them don't by default I understand and need updated firmware to do so.
    s.welstead wrote: »
    I should have stated I have the power coming direct from my Phantom but just didn't add this to the pictures.
    So when running there is power coming from the Phantom and the Mini Iosd is also connected in to the Phantom.

I believe the TX is this one
    http://radiocontrolledshop.ie/video-downlinks-antennas-fpv-video-senders-fpv-receivers/7304-dys-58g-500mw-wireless-video-transmitter-sender-tx500.html

• Advertisement

civdef wrote: »
    Does your gopro clone defibitely have live video out? Some of them don't by default I understand and need updated firmware to do so.

Yes I have tested that separately and was able to get a live video signal using an RCA cable with my TV.

Yeah, you basically need to try another transmitter now, unlikely goggles and monitor are both broke. Those 500mw transmitters have a reputation for giving trouble due to overheating.

I'm a good distance away, but I'd be happy to help if you get noone closer.

I had a hunch it might be that. I got everything in a bundle except for a transmitter. I bought the transmitter brand new so it probably hasn't worked since day one. All this time I've been thinking I had something connected wrong or doing something silly.
    I've left it too long now to get my money back if it is that

Thanks for the offer I might just take you up on that if I can't find anywhere nearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I think you may have an incorrect jumper setting on the TX. It looks like you have all four jumpers in the down position but it's hard to tell from the photo.

You have to set the transmitting channel on the TX and then select the same channel on the RX (obviously).

http://www.dys.hk/Download/5.8G%20Transmitter-TX500%20Manual.pdf

Páid wrote: »
    I think you may have an incorrect jumper setting on the TX. It looks like you have all four jumpers in the down position but it's hard to tell from the photo.

You have to set the transmitting channel on the TX and then select the same channel on the RX (obviously).

http://www.dys.hk/Download/5.8G%20Transmitter-TX500%20Manual.pdf

I've played around with the channels with those toggles and then cycled through the channels on both the headset and screen and had nothing come through.

• Advertisement

Could you try removing the iosd mini from the chain to eliminate that as the source of the problem?

Same thing. On the goggles I can get a very faint snowy picture but there's no way it's usable. The monitor shows nothing on the same channel.
    Is it possible the transmitter is damaged or would it not show anything at all if damaged?

If the amplifier end of the transmitter was banjaxed it might do that - those 500mw transmitters are basically an overclocked 200mw apparently - hence the big fan.
    A handy option would be to buy a 200mw skyzone, boscam or aomway transmitter for around €30 - be much lighter and probably more than enough power for nearly all needs. Not bad to have a spare in any case.
    PM me of you'd like an Irish seller's details.

Finally received a new transmitter and had a chance to play around with it. It's a 32 channel transmitter. It works with the fatshark goggles, wohoo! but I wasn't receiving anything on the monitor :(
    So I checked the frequencies available for the 5.8 receiver and they are in a different range to the goggles. Can't believe I just noticed that.
    So I switched my transmitter to match but still receiving nothing. This is how it's wired up:
    335894.JPG
    I just get no signal and it powers off after a minute no matter what channel I cycle through.

So 2 questions. Have I got the monitor/receiver wired correctly to receive and if so does it look like the receiver is broken if not showing anything?
    If I get the receiver working is there any way I can use both goggles and receiver at same time with the frequencies not matching?

Can't you hook up the monitor to the fatshark goggles directly i.e. connect the av out on the goggles to the av in on the monitor? No need for a separate receiver for the monitor.

Didn't realise I could do that. Just had a quick attempt before bed and it works but the picture is rolling. Is that a compatability issue?

s.welstead wrote: »
    Didn't realise I could do that. Just had a quick attempt before bed and it works but the picture is rolling. Is that a compatability issue?

Are the camera, vtx and monitor all set for PAL output?

Advertisement