Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adult beginners social/leisure hurling intros?

• 20-01-2015 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

A work colleague of mine has moved over from the US with his 12 year old and 16 year old kids and they are living in south Dublin. He would be interested in playing a little hurling, just on purely social basis, non-contact leisure stuff to start out.

If you want to get a flavour for rugby, you can play tag rugby, for soccer you can rock on down and play a bit of 5-a-side, but I'm not sure if there's any similar way for an adult who's never swung a hurl to get involved and have a bit of craic just learning the pure basics in a casual environment?

For the kids I imagine if they're interested, giving the school team or local GAA club a shout would be best, but it would be great to hear any suggestions for an adult who wants to try out the basics.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

I'd say his best bet would be just join a club and train away with everyone. My club has plenty of lads who just go for fitness and socially. Someone can pull him a side when there is a training match on, to show him the basics. How to rise, strike etc. He could ask any one really in the club, perhaps an injured player. Other wise I don't think there is anything like 5 a side soccer. It could be different in Dublin however but I don't think so. Maybe he could try handball? That would
    be easy enough to pick up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭chubba1984

I would think that the club I play with, Réalt Dearg, would be a perfect fit. We're based in South Dublin and have three teams. We cater for all levels of ability, and certainly have had a number of people who have never played the game before and wouldn't have a history with it. In that boat, we've had Canadians, Germans, English and Tipperary people to name but a few....

As an example last year, our most improved hurler of the year (there was an award) was a guy in his early forties who just came down to try the game out as his children were involved in school and he really enjoyed it.

Training caters for all abilities and because there are three teams, everybody is guaranteed to get game time, even the very beginners if they wish to get involved.

If your work colleague would be interested in coming along to a training session to see how he might get on, give myself or Réalt Dearg Sec who frequents these boards a PM and we can get in touch. Alternatively, you can check out the club website to see if it's something he might be interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

chubba1984 wrote: »
    I would think that the club I play with, Réalt Dearg, would be a perfect fit. We're based in South Dublin and have three teams. We cater for all levels of ability, and certainly have had a number of people who have never played the game before and wouldn't have a history with it. In that boat, we've had Canadians, Germans, English and Tipperary people to name but a few....

As an example last year, our most improved hurler of the year (there was an award) was a guy in his early forties who just came down to try the game out as his children were involved in school and he really enjoyed it.

Training caters for all abilities and because there are three teams, everybody is guaranteed to get game time, even the very beginners if they wish to get involved.

If your work colleague would be interested in coming along to a training session to see how he might get on, give myself or Réalt Dearg Sec who frequents these boards a PM and we can get in touch. Alternatively, you can check out the club website to see if it's something he might be interested in.

I agree with this post.

Advertisement