Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boiler Issues !

• 20-01-2015 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi All
    I would like to run a few boiler issues that i have ongoing to you guys here if u doing mind. point 1 is my main concern at present. My boiler is a birdbird s 90/120 that runs on kerosene and is in a steel cabinet out side my back door with the flue on top..
    1 lately i find that when i turn on the heat it keeps knocking on and off for ages before it settles down, but the strange thing if i leave the steel door open a little bit at the bottom it does not happen ??. i have cleaned the photocell. and it was serviced last Sept. what could be causing that ?.
    2 when we have to adjust the temp. we have to go outside and open the door and bend down and change it. i there any way we could control it from inside the house ?. would a room stat on the wall in the hall set to a temp work ?.
    3 how easy would it be to install a frost stst to turn the boiler on if were not there ?.
    hope these photo upload
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Air intake vents in door probably blocked.

A room stat could and should be wired into the clock.

Existing wiring will determine how easy or difficult to wire a frost stat.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

There are a few things that can cause this sort of issue, as wearb says, inadequate ventilation, it could also be over aired, low oil pressure, flue gases leaking within the case, all are things that would be investigated when serviced.
    You should only be required to alter the boiler stat a few times a year, if your rooms are too hot or cold then its a room stat you need.
    A frost stat will require a permanent live supply, you may have one if the boiler was wired with a pump overrun, again, this is something a good service engineer will enlighten you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i lovewine

Hi
    all that's inside the house is the main switch and timer the cable then goes out to the boiler which backs on to the wall so i could run cabling out if need be . does the frost stat need to be out side of inside the house
    will check the air vents for point 1.
    but i think i will wait to get stats done during the year when serviced
    thanks

Hi Guys
    Could you look at photo number 3 again, a friend pointed out that the grey tape is burned above the air intake and maybe fumes are getting in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

i lovewine wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Could you look at photo number 3 again, a friend pointed out that the grey tape is burned above the air intake and maybe fumes are getting in ?

The only way to test the fumes to see if it's burning correctly is to use a flue gas analyser. You'll also need to get that flexi hose changed. If it was serviced recently then it wasn't serviced correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

i lovewine wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Yes I would say your friend is possibly right, and as said earlier "flue gases leaking within the case". It needs a service.

Thanks Guys
    Will get the experts in now
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭whizbang

Its probably sucking a bit of duct tape into the air inlet!

Ah duct tape!!, a blessing and a curse . in fairness to the guy who did it he was only trying to tidy the boiler container up. i presume u can get new insulation covers and parts fot is boiler its only about 9 years old

Advertisement