Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer from GBP to EUR

Options
  • 20-01-2015 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

What's the cheapest way of sending money from UK to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

jaysus this question is asked every week:pac:

if you have an account in each country(or know someone with an account); transferwise.com or currencyfair.com - if not, take a hit in a bank or post office.

If it is a large amount, it is best to talk to a FX trader

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

jameshayes wrote: »

if you have an account in each country(or know someone with an account); transferwise.com or currencyfair.com - if not, take a hit in a bank or post office.

What constitutes 'large'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

If i was going over 5K i'd probably talk to someone in the know...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

If i was going over 5K i'd probably talk to someone in the know...

5,000 EUR is not enough to start talking to a trader.

5,000 EUR is enough to start using an online currency broker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Maybe we should have it as a sticky, it does seem to come up very regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

How do the online platforms (e.g. currencyfair) compare pricewise to the more bespoke solutions (e.g. currency solutions, smart currency exchange, etc). I'm not really interested in hedging against movements at all, but just want the best rate whenever I make the transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Apparently nationwide UK offer decent rates on converting GBP to EUR. They have a branch on Baggot St, Dublin 2. Call them and see what they offer. I opened a savings account with them 2 weeks ago. One of the staff told me most of their Irish Customers mainly use them for their decent FX rates on GBP

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Still cannot beat currency fair for best exchange rate and transfer fees. I use them every month without fail...............

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

skippy2 wrote: »
    Still cannot beat currency fair for best exchange rate and transfer fees. I use them every month without fail...............

I use them regularly too, great job. Save a pretty sum over the banks, robbing gits.

Edit: todays rate is nearly €1.33 for £1, fantastic since I'm paid in stg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

NIMAN wrote: »
    I use them regularly too, great job. Save a pretty sum over the banks, robbing gits.

Edit: todays rate is nearly €1.33 for £1, fantastic since I'm paid in stg.

I used transferwise yesterday, transfered euro at 7.50am, was in my STG account at 9.30am:eek:
    Had always used currencyfair when I was in UK transfering back.

Also, BOI in the north charge 5 pounds per lodgement from currencyfair, as they use the CHAPS system.Transferwise use fasterpayments system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement