Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NDLS centres

• 20-01-2015 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had to visit these? They are an absolute nightmare, only ever one member of staff on duty, they get picky over stupid little details in application forms and the staff are extremely unpleasant.

I know the old licences were incredibly easy to forge and county council offices weren't the right place to apply for a licence but these centres are a joke.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I got lucky when I needed to go - arrived in with no appointment to TWO members of staff and only one person ahead of me waiting to be seen. Sheer luck. Every time I've gone past it since it's been absolutely packed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Only ever 1 member of staff? In my local one when I went, there were around 7 staff. And how were they picky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Maybe they just don't like you.

My local one is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Went to the one in Leopardstown with my appointment. Was in and out in five minutes and assisted by a really friendly and helpful woman. Much better than the old days of sitting waiting for hours upon hours surrounded by dozens of annoyed people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I just walked into the one in cork city without an appointment and in less then 30 seconds i was called up and all done in fifteen minutes. Also the centre was closer to me now instead of going out near the county hall before so it's much handier for me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Went to the one in Leopardstown with my appointment. Was in and out in five minutes and assisted by a really friendly and helpful woman. Much better than the old days of sitting waiting for hours upon hours surrounded by dozens of annoyed people.

Same here! I went in expecting to be queuing for ages like you would have been in the tax office. Hubby had given me a lift up, so I said to him to go on home and I'd ring him when I was finished, he wasn't even halfway home when I rang him and told him it was all done. I was very impressed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

I think the key is to go in with all the relevant documents that you need. It's not that really hard. Then they won't be as 'picky.'

Simple.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Same as me on New Years Eve. In and out in 5 mins.

Stop complaining, book an appointment and fill out the forms correctly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

if you filled out your form properly you wouldn't have that problem op

think how frustrating it must be to deal with people all day who cant fill out a simple two or three page form !! or make a appointment as the system provides for.

As it seems with a lot of people here they had a positive experience in licence office . i was met by on staff member in the office who dealt with me in a professional an polite manner quickly and helpfully.

As i think anyone who deals with people can attest to about 50 % of people you meet are at least idiots or worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

I know someone who works in one, nicest fcuking bastard you could ever meet! Sound she is....mad as a box of frogs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Ok, this is my gripe. Obviously, not every staff member who works in these centres is rude and it's good to hear others haven't had as bad an experience as I have. I had all the necessary documentation, and I had an appointment booked at 4pm. When I walked in at around 3:50, there was nobody else waiting and due to the sign on the wall saying 'Please wait until you are called to the window', so I sat down, presuming the man behind the counter was busy as he was doing something on his computer. After a few minutes, he looked out at me and said 'are you going to come in or just sit there all day?' I pointed out that there were signs on the wall saying to wait until you were called. He sighed and said 'What do you want?'

Now as a poster above said, if people can't fill in a simple form, I would find it frustrating as well. However, the issues he had were as follows:
    1. My place of birth was down as the UK instead of England.
    2. One of the numbers on my date of birth was slightly out of the box

As a result, he asked me to fill out a new form again and come back again. I argued with him and eventually, he allowed me to fill out the form in front of him. Eventually, everything was ok'd and sent off.

His attitude just left a bad taste in the mouth to be honest.

I accompanied a friend on another occasion. There was a queue of about ten people, with three booths in the centre but there was only one staff member on duty.

The centres seem to be run on a shoe-string and the process of applying for a driving licence has just become overly bureaucratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 runinfinity

Well who's a moaning Michael(s) today.

Chill the beans lads, people in an office doing their job. Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think you need to chill. I have never had, nor heard of, anything but positive experience of them.

Your form was incorrect. You sat waiting in an empty room? I'd say the chap was exasperated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I've been to two of them (Santry and City West) and had nothing but positive experiences in both of them. The staff were friendly and efficient in both of them.

I did find the curtains in them vaguely annoying. I understand the need to protect peoples privacy, if sensitive personal data is being discussed. But I wasn't asked anything overly personal, or anything that I'd be all that bothered if someone overheard me. You don't have them in Social Welfare offices or banks & you'd think privacy would be needed far more there, than it would be in an NDLS centre, no? Weird !

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I went to the one in Santry on the first week the whole process switched to NDLS.

I had to wait for 4 hours :(

I'm sure it's not like that now..

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I was at the one in Santry the other day without an appointment and it said I'd have to wait 2hrs. However, as quite a few people weren't showing up for their appointed time I was seen after an hour.

Pretty painless all-in-all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Last year went to the one in Kilkenny. Had an appointment, went in lots of people there, just a few minutes early.
    Appointment was on time, it felt like skipping the queue, was in out before the ones who had been waiting and no appointment.

So make an appointment, it saves a lot of time. The person whom I dealt with was very nice too.

The curtains are there for the photographs.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

i was in to renew my licence last sat but as i have a truck licence the polite girl highlighted that i need to get a medical exam so went off and got this done during the week, went in friday after work and was dealt with by a sound chap and we were only about a second away from the form uploading on there servers when the system crashed nationwide, he did everything he could and in the end just refunded me and gave me back all my documents and said come back next week when hopefully it will be back up and running again.
    like you OP i heard all he stories but my experience was a good experience with the NDLS apart from there servers crashing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think the birds that work in my one have cracking bods - result !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience OP but like most others here I thought it was great, so convenient and the fella that did mine was sound out.

I hadn't even made an appointment (I didn't even know I was supposed to till I got there) but there was nobody else there anyway so I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. Card came in the post in about a week. Great service. And one thing I really liked about it was no need anymore to use those flipping photo booths where you need €6 in change and have to find one in your local supermarket/shopping centre.

Thumbs up from me for the whole thing really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

Only annoying thing is that there is none in Dublin city centre.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They should really have one in Dublin City centre, you know for all the people who don't have driving licenses because it's a long trek otherwise.

would ya go way outta that dublin has more public transport than anywhere else in the country, some people elsewhere have to drive from one side of the county to the other to find a centre and the poor dubs whinge about driving across the city, get a grip will ye

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

They should really have one in Dublin City centre, you know for all the people who don't have driving licenses because it's a long trek otherwise.

To be fair, the one in the Omni is accessible enough. 1, 16, 33, 41 etc. all get there from the city centre in 20-25 mins.

The ones in Saggart and Leopardstown are all a bit out of the way alright, even with the Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Does anyone know if I will need the medical certificate filled out by an optometrist to renew my provisional licence which states that I need glasses when driving?

Does anyone know if I will need the medical certificate filled out by an optometrist to renew my provisional licence which states that I need glasses when driving?
    get it anyway it will save ya having to go away again if they look for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

The answer is no. Eyesight report is only required whrn applying for a first time permit, a non EU national exchanging a licence, or where a person who previously wore glasses (01 notation on the licence) now says they don't need glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Turns out I have to do the theory test again as my provisional was too old. Oops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Nim wrote: »
    To be fair, the one in the Omni is accessible enough. 1, 16, 33, 41 etc. all get there from the city centre in 20-25 mins.

The ones in Saggart and Leopardstown are all a bit out of the way alright, even with the Luas.
    Also one in Tesco clarehall, 15,27,42,43 leave you very close

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Lost my licence recently and made an appointment to apply for another one. They said I needed a passport or driver's licence but as I don't drive and haven't needed a passport since I was a teenager, I have neither.

So, they gave me a form which needs to be signed by someone official that knows me for over two years. My GP would have been perfect but he upped sticks for pastures new (Canada) a few months back and so that leaves the Guards, solicitor or a bank manager. No Guard knows me, nor solicitor either and my bank manager refused to sign the form as he said he couldn't say that he recognized me (been going to that branch weekly for around twenty years).

So I thought feck it, I'll apply for a passport but guess what they wanted. Yup, Photo ID.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

My local one needs a ticket number system, too many skipping the queue thinking they are of importance, very annoying.

Flood wrote: »
    My local one needs a ticket number system, too many skipping the queue thinking they are of importance, very annoying.

If people have an appointment, they're entitled to skip the queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Lost my licence recently and made an appointment to apply for another one. They said I needed a passport or driver's licence but as I don't drive and haven't needed a passport since I was a teenager, I have neither.

So, they gave me a form which needs to be signed by someone official that knows me for over two years. My GP would have been perfect but he upped sticks for pastures new (Canada) a few months back and so that leaves the Guards, solicitor or a bank manager. No Guard knows me, nor solicitor either and my bank manager refused to sign the form as he said he couldn't say that he recognized me (been going to that branch weekly for around twenty years).

So I thought feck it, I'll apply for a passport but guess what they wanted. Yup, Photo ID.

Thats what you get for living off the grid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

1st visit - proof of address out of date - by three days. It was in date when I got the appointment and put all my documents together.
    2nd visit - my UK license had expired so I need a form from the DVLA saying I'm entitled to drive. Ring the DVLA in the UK, they fax it to me in 10 minutes.
    3rd visit - a fax is not good enough, needs to be an original. They suggest an appointment in 2 weeks time to allow for it to arrive. Ring the DVLA and explain, they send it out. I get it in the post 3 days later.
    4th visit - chance my arm and turn up well ahead of my appointment, explain the situation. Had to wait 2 hours.

Not entirely brilliant...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I've been to the local centre a few times. I have never been waiting more than 10 minutes despite having no appointment

early Dec 2013- I didn't have anything with my pps on, own fault
    late Dec 2013- got 3rd provisional for 1 year

I was sent out a renewal form when the year was up. i duely posted form, old license, proof of test, fee etc to the postal address on the back of the form that says "we will be accepting postal applications for renewal from early 2014". All was sent back saying they don't accept these yet.

Dec 2014 -

"do you have proof of PPS",
    "eh no, I have a license card, I just want to get another one",
    "we have no record of you on the system",
    "well I got it here last year, look at it, it's genuine"
    "ok face the camera"
    "i thought i didn't have to do that again....ok"
    "nice one"
    "I have a test soon, do i have to come back in to get a full license if i pass"
    "yes, you need to come in and get photo taken again, don't forget pps proof"
    "ok hopefully see you in a few weeks then"

didn't pass, 3rd time lucky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Where or what time are people going that they are getting seen in ten minutes? the one in the omni is always busy

Sat morning, Trim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

Where or what time are people going that they are getting seen in ten minutes? the one in the omni is always busy

I'm going in on Valentines Day #foreveralone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Similarly the centre in Naas is pretty isolated. It's about 2 miles from the town centre, or a mile from Naas-Sallins train station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

No

(by which I mean no, you don't need to get the cert again)

• Advertisement

Honestly, if you want to get seen in ten minutes, get online and book an appointment. You are guaranteed to be seen on time.

goose2005 wrote: »
    No

(by which I mean no, you don't need to get the cert again)

just to echo the No. I went and got a medical cert for subsequent provisional, paid 25 bucks for it and was told by the NDLS that i didn't need it

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

First time attending an NDLS centre today. Drogheda: What an absolute kip of a place...
    Joined the walk-in queue and patiently waited for an hour. Gradually my number came to "Next" on the screen and the girl operating (the only working booth I might add), decides she's closing her shutter.
    Conveniently at this point my 2 year old son has to go to the toilet and ends up soiling his nappy. No toilet facilities on-site either??!! Okay, 'no big deal I thought, I'm up next and I will be out in 5 minutes'.
    Eventually the other booth opens and starts calling other names from the on-line booking list.
    At this point the centre is packed, there are 3 booths, 2 people working and one employee decides to go on her break!
    I sit there for another few minutes hoping she'll come back from her break but doesn't. The working booth then calls another on-line booking, seemingly ignoring any walk-in bookings. 25 minutes after the girl employee decides the close her booth, I decided to question the male employee in the other booth about what the hold-up was or why walk-in people were being ignored. I was told the girl has to go on her break!! 25 minute break?? I also advised of my situation with my kid who is still sitting in his dirty nappy and I'm told sorry our staff need breaks.
    2 minutes after this argument the girl decides to reopen her booth and call my number.
    To say my blood was boiling leaving the place was an understatement.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

kormak wrote: »
    First time attending an NDLS centre today. Drogheda: What an absolute kip of a place...
    Joined the walk-in queue and patiently waited for an hour. Gradually my number came to "Next" on the screen and the girl operating (the only working booth I might add), decides she's closing her shutter.
    Conveniently at this point my 2 year old son has to go to the toilet and ends up soiling his nappy. No toilet facilities on-site either??!! Okay, 'no big deal I thought, I'm up next and I will be out in 5 minutes'.
    Eventually the other booth opens and starts calling other names from the on-line booking list.
    At this point the centre is packed, there are 3 booths, 2 people working and one employee decides to go on her break!
    I sit there for another few minutes hoping she'll come back from her break but doesn't. The working booth then calls another on-line booking, seemingly ignoring any walk-in bookings. 25 minutes after the girl employee decides the close her booth, I decided to question the male employee in the other booth about what the hold-up was or why walk-in people were being ignored. I was told the girl has to go on her break!! 25 minute break?? I also advised of my situation with my kid who is still sitting in his dirty nappy and I'm told sorry our staff need breaks.
    2 minutes after this argument the girl decides to reopen her booth and call my number.

FFS people have to eat. And it's kind of illegal to not give workers the breaks they are legally entitled to.
    Its not their fault your kid sh!t itself. Or that you couldn't be arsed to book an appointment slot for yourself. If you are a walk in, to anywhere, you should not take priority over those who bothered to manage their time better.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Neyite wrote: »
    FFS people have to eat. And it's kind of illegal to not give workers the breaks they are legally entitled to.
    Its not their fault your kid sh!t itself. Or that you couldn't be arsed to book an appointment slot for yourself. If you are a walk in, to anywhere, you should not take priority over those who bothered to manage their time better.

Of course people need to eat, but a centre that has a waiting room packed to the rafters, even with people standing up queuing, shouldn't be expected to rely on just 1 booth only being manned at any one time. Would it not be reasonable to expect more staff on? so those finished taking their breaks could relieve others and keep more than 1 booth functioning? oh and by the way, it was mid-morning. who takes 25 minute breaks mid-morning?!

My 2 year old asked me to go to the toilet but there wasn't any. Again, for a public service building would it be that unreasonable to ask for a toilet to be present? There's ones in NCT centres, etc... If I was to temporarily leave with him, I would have been asked to re-join the queue and sit with a toddler for another hour. Believe me I already seen the same girl turning other people away because the weren't present when she called their numbers/names.

The walk-in service is there as a service for people to avail of just like the on-line one. I wasn't in a position to commit to a particular time schedule and therefore availed of the walk-in option when I had a few hours free to visit the centre. I might also add that the majority of people in the centre were also using the walk-in service over the on-line one, presumably for reasons best known to themselves!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Went into one about two weeks ago to apply for a theory test.

No appointment, got seen within 5 minutes. Didn't realise this was a hassle

They should have let you slide the kids arse in under the slot, cleaned it for you, put nappy back on and pushed it back out. Oh and took your photo for id

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Umm, am I allowed to say that in the three visits I've had to the one here in Cork City since this new malarkey started, I found them courteous, professional and quite efficient?

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Of course people need to eat, but a centre that has a waiting room packed to the rafters, even with people standing up queuing, shouldn't be expected to rely on just 1 booth only being manned at any one time. Would it not be reasonable to expect more staff on? so those finished taking their breaks could relieve others and keep more than 1 booth functioning? oh and by the way, it was mid-morning. who takes 25 minute breaks mid-morning?!

My 2 year old asked me to go to the toilet but there wasn't any. Again, for a public service building would it be that unreasonable to ask for a toilet to be present? There's ones in NCT centres, etc... If I was to temporarily leave with him, I would have been asked to re-join the queue and sit with a toddler for another hour. Believe me I already seen the same girl turning other people away because the weren't present when she called their numbers/names.

The walk-in service is there as a service for people to avail of just like the on-line one. I wasn't in a position to commit to a particular time schedule and therefore availed of the walk-in option when I had a few hours free to visit the centre. I might also add that the majority of people in the centre were also using the walk-in service over the on-line one, presumably for reasons best known to themselves!!

A walk in service anywhere is for people who have the time to wait to be seen. If you are stuck for time, then you go at a time that you DO have time to sit and wait. Or make a booking and show up for that, get processed and be out the door in 10 mins.

This tells you how many walk in slots are available in your local centre, and how many appointment slots there are. And this is where you can let them know about the service you received and how you think they can improve on it.

To be fair, the online bookings are ALWAYS seen ahead of walk-ins (otherwise what would be the point of making an appointment?). I don't know why some people refuse to make a booking, you end up sitting there for hours otherwise whereas with a booking, you can walk in and out in 10 minutes.

The centres always seem to be busy but staff are entitled by law to take breaks.

I made this thread complaining mainly about the rudeness of the staff and the fact that the centres are run on a shoestring but in this case you made life difficult for yourself I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement