Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for joining Green Card Fiance in US

Options
  • 20-01-2015 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    My Fiance needs to return to work in the US. He has a Green Card. I don't.
    I would be so grateful if anyone could offer advice on my options as an Irish citizen for joining him in the US - either through a visa that will allow me to work or as a kept woman.
    Should we engage the services of an Immigration lawyer?
    Ideally, I'd like to move there as soon as possible - some of the internet investigation we've done suggests that it could take years!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Getting married is by far the easiest way. Otherwise to work you would have to get sponsorship in your own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Even if you are married, there is a long wait. Once married, your husband can petition for you under the F2A category, which will involve a 2-3 year wait for you in Ireland.

It's much faster if you are married to a US citizen, you could have your own green card in 6-8 months. As a spouse of a Green Card Holder (Permanent Resident), you are lower priority.

Is your fiance eligible to apply for US citizenship?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Trimster

Yes - he's eligible to apply for US citizenship so he will do that straightaway. Thanks for the advice - a 2-3 year wait would be really really tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

Trimster wrote: »
    Yes - he's eligible to apply for US citizenship so he will do that straightaway. Thanks for the advice - a 2-3 year wait would be really really tough.

Then, he should do it right away. It depends on what part of the country you are in, but the wait time from applying to getting US citizenship has gone way down - It was 3 months for me. Up to a few years ago, it was up to 2 years.

I am sure there is a place on the Homeland Security site which gives current wait times by region.

Definitely, the _only_ way to go. It's a great feeling to have it, and of course, it has no effect on Irish citizenship/passport.

Good luck!!

Would you consider going to college in the US? They are not all frightfully expensive and degree/postgrad from a local institution may open some doors on the job front when the time comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Once he becomes a citizen, depending on your marriage plans, he can petition for you to join him in the US via a Fiancee Visa.

Else, once you are married, he can petition for you as an immediate relative.

I'm also trying to get a transfer through my company but it will be difficult.
    I had always presumed that college fees were exorbitant in the US so had pretty much discounted that option. That could be an interesting option...
    But I guess the priority now is his Citizenship application which according to the website is currently about a 5 month wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I'm also trying to get a transfer through my company but it will be difficult.
    I had always presumed that college fees were exorbitant in the US so had pretty much discounted that option. That could be an interesting option...
    But I guess the priority now is his Citizenship application which according to the website is currently about a 5 month wait.

Community college is reasonable and would probably be all you'd need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Community college is reasonable and would probably be all you'd need.

Community college is only cheap when you are resident in the state - this is usually 6+ months living there in state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Community college is only cheap when you are resident in the state - this is usually 6+ months living there in state.

You are indeed correct. I guess it depends on the individual states residency requirements.

• Advertisement

I just looked at Houston Community College and $25 credit hours would cost $3800 for out-of-state. I don't think that's too bad. It would be a good way to get to know people also.

Thanks for all the advice.
    He presumed he could apply for Citizenship, but turns out he hasn't yet hit the 5 year mark with his Green Card so he can't apply until October at the earliest.
    So until we can get that sorted - would the B-2 visa be an option for me? Or could I visit the US regularly on the visa waiver program?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Thanks for all the advice.
    He presumed he could apply for Citizenship, but turns out he hasn't yet hit the 5 year mark with his Green Card so he can't apply until October at the earliest.
    So until we can get that sorted - would the B-2 visa be an option for me? Or could I visit the US regularly on the visa waiver program?

You won't get b2 - it's for people that require visas and for VWP able citizens it is for special cases, and "so i can accompany someone while he waits for citizenship" is not one of them

As long as you abide by the rules of the VWP there won't be any issues with you going in and out. One of the more unspoken rules is that you should stay out of the country for as long as you were there. So if you are there for 90 days, fly home for the weekend then back - you'll be in problems...but if you stay out for 90 days you'll be fine.

Advertisement