Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips for potty training toddler?

Options
  • 20-01-2015 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

So I talked to my daughter about the potty. She seemed to have a good grasp of the idea.

Now that we have bought it, she clearly has no intention of going near it. I told her to tell me when she needs to go so she can used her new potty but she told me 'no'.

Any suggestions or tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We went 'cold turkey' with ours, well I think maybe for a month or two before anytime she was having a bath we'd sit her on the toilet first just to see if she had to go. if not didn't make a big deal.

But when we actualy went to train we just picked a day, got rid of nappies and made a big deal of her having 'big girl pants' with princesses and stuff on them. For the first few days we literally didn't leave the house! I had an alarm set on my phone and every twenty minutes or so we brought her to the toilet whether she felt she needed to go or not. Then as the days went out we stretched out the time to maybe 30 mins/45mins etc. We had a sticker chart and she got a sticker every time she used the toilet (even if she didn't actually go to the toilet, but once she tried), and when she got to the end of a line on the chart she got a surprise which might have been a small book, or toy or something small. The first day there was one or two accidents but she was fine after that. Obviously still had a nappy at night and if we were goin on long journeys etc.

We never bothered with a potty, just went straight for the toilet with no 'add ons' like special seats or anything. Our childminder recommended that once the child was happy with it because it meant going to the toilet if you were out and about or in someone elses house was no big deal and no different to at home. Obivously for the first while she had to be held on the toilet to make sure she didn't lose her balance and get a fright but worked for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

That's some great advice silly socks :)

She's crazy about stickers and we've never really done anything like that kind of reward system before so definitely going to try that out. We are going to start on Monday.

Think it was our first time with stickers as well and she loved it. I had a box set of small books leftover from Christmas id forgotten to give her so used those for her first few 'prizes'. Because we brought her so often the first few days she got a prize almost every day, but then it calmed down when she was only using the toilet a normal amount of times!

We just battoned down for the first few days and took up rugs etc just in case, lol. She was good from the start though and the first day wet herself twice in the morning and she nearly died. But after that we'd very little issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Can I ask what age are your toddlers? My little man is 2 and 5 months and I feel he is kinda ready but not quite there yet if you know what I mean, I'm thinking of waiting maybe until april/may. He asks to go to the toilet and mimicks the actions but if i mention getting a potty he is firm in saying NO, He attends creche so is watching what the other kids are doing but they are a good 6 months at least older than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

They do say boys are slower than girls to pick it up. I was told to wait until my little lad was more than ready as pushing it too soon can make it into a huge issue.

And not 3 months before or after a new baby arrival

• Advertisement

Our girl was 2 and 7 months. We originally were going to do it a few months earlier as thought she was ready, but I was due my second baby when she was 2 and 5 months. We debated whether to train before or after the baby, and a friend said to wait until after because it's a lot easier to be looking after a new baby and not need to be running to the toilet with the toddler all the time - and toddlers are clever so could pretend they need to go every time they see you giving hte baby some attention!

We had to have her trained before she was 2 and 9 months as she was starting Montessori, but if you're not under pressure to get him trained I'd wait until you feel he's really ready rather than rushing it and it not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

My little girl is 2 years 7 months so seems like the right time. I'm also 15 weeks pregnant so I don't want to leave it.

But yea some pick it up faster than others and you cant force them. They will catch on eventually. I think its just about making it fun for them in some way and like BP said not making a huge issue out of it.

I am expecting a few accidents, so ill be picking up the rugs and things like that too sillysocks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

My son is is 2 hes 3 in June I tried training him during the summer he was doin great until he got the vomiting bug and went back to the start again, I have gone through two potty training before he only will sit on the toilet he will say he wants to sit on the toilet but hes already done it or if I take his nappy off and hes nothing on hes ok its when I put the pants on he destroys himself, im not sure how to start him now again to train him if hes wetting the pants all the time but ok with nothing on? I do try to praise him even though hes done it already and still put him on but how do I know hes ready?

Just saw these on bargain alerts and thought they'd be perfect for potty training treats if they get X amount of stars on a sticker chart.
    6.99 for 12 books!

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9050800.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9365636.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭CiboC

With our most recent experience of this we waited until our boy was 2 1/2, mainly because we were going to be on holidays (in Spain) at the time.

He could go around with just his togs / underpants on without any bother, we were renting a house for two weeks so he could wander around it like that all day and we could leave a potty outside in case of accidents on the way there...!

After that it was good old fashioned bribery, pure and simple. Every successful visit to the potty was rewarded with a sweet or some kind, he twigged it very quickly and was a pro after 5 or 6 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

sillysocks wrote: »
    Just saw these on bargain alerts and thought they'd be perfect for potty training treats if they get X amount of stars on a sticker chart.
    6.99 for 12 books!

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9050800.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9365636.htm

Went in to get these today and they were only 4.99 each :)

Advertisement