Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Comparative

• 20-01-2015 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I'm having lots of trouble with this - I need help!
    Our teacher has skimmed over this but not gone into great detail - he says it's easy :rolleyes:

I really have no idea how to answer this. We were given a question on setting to do for homework - where would I begin? I know my three texts well enough but I don't understand how I can compare the settings.

I'm usually good at english so this is annoying. Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Firstly, if you don't think your teacher has not gone into enough detail on answering the question, then ask him to go over it!! Or show him a plan you have done for the question and ask for his opinion on it.

To answer the question you have to both compare and contrast the settings- So write down the key words you would use to describe them e.g. ''rural'', ''close knit community'', ''isolated'', ''dangerous'' etc, and see what terms you have in common/are opposites. Find scenes in the texts that best capture the setting and discuss them in rotation- ''Text A links to Text B, however in Text C...'' ''The similar setting of the novel and play contrast greatly to what director shows us in the film.'' Also explain how the setting is important to the text.

It would help if you listed the texts you have used!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Katie97123

What texts have you done?

Advertisement