Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is construction studies hard if i havent done woodwork in JC?

• 20-01-2015 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I did Tech graph if this helps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

I did Tech graph if this helps?

Tech graph is a huge help as there's a compulsory drawing question and an optional one too.

The syllabus itself is very different from woodwork at junior cert level, so you'd have no problem picking up the theory.

There's a project worth 10% and a practical test worth 25% so that's potentially 35% requiring practical skills. I say potentially because you could do a theory project or make a model house, as opposed to making a furniture piece.

While it would be advantageous to have done woodwork it is by no means necessary.

A word of caution though, the A1 rate is 2%, the 3rd lowest of all subjects. While it's easy to get a B, if not an A2, the A1 requires a very balanced student. Usually people will find a weakness in either the practical, drawing or theory element and this may make it difficult to get the A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Magnate wrote: »
    Tech graph is a huge help as there's a compulsory drawing question and an optional one too.

The syllabus itself is very different from woodwork at junior cert level, so you'd have no problem picking up the theory.

There's a project worth 10% and a practical test worth 25% so that's potentially 35% requiring practical skills. I say potentially because you could do a theory project or make a model house, as opposed to making a furniture piece.

While it would be advantageous to have done woodwork it is by no means necessary.

A word of caution though, the A1 rate is 2%, the 3rd lowest of all subjects. While it's easy to get a B, if not an A2, the A1 requires a very balanced student. Usually people will find a weakness in either the practical, drawing or theory element and this may make it difficult to get the A1.

Ah thank you so much for your advice! I'm not too worried about getting an A1 just so long as I get even a B, the courses in looking at just ask for 4 pass in all HL subjects so should be grand!
    Thanks again! :)

Advertisement