Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seem to be getting much worse?

• 20-01-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Im 29 years of age very fit I aim to race this year with my local club. In the summer was doing great my spins were getting 30kph average for 50-60 and 29-30kph for metric century. My timetrails I was hitting 33-34kph over 20k. I have a bit more time to cycle so I decided to spend more time in the saddle to improve my speed more. I do about 300k per week broken into about 5 rides sometimes more. At the moment my speeds have dropped to 24-26kph on spins nothings changed just weather. Any advice? I wonder am I already burnt out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Weather is a big factor, during the summer I can hold 33-35 over 10km into work, since xmas I'm lucky to 27

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BMKN

Good to know its very frustrating especially today took me nearly two hours to do just 50k which is not normal for me
    stecleary wrote: »
    Weather is a big factor, during the summer I can hold 33-35 over 10km into work, since xmas I'm lucky to 27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Wet roads, freezing and windy as fvxk. That's yer answer unless you have a flat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As has been said, weather is the biggest factor - cold air is more dense and requires more effort, wet roads require more caution, you're wearing extra clothes, less light and the psychological aspect of cycling in cold/wet as opposed to warm and sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

That's also why they have the Tour de France in the summer - Who'd turn out to watch lads doing 24-26kph?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Winter is always slower. It's a fact of life.

If you were to ask this question in June or July then it'd be more significant.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That's also why they have the Tour de France in the summer - Who'd turn out to watch lads doing 24-26kph?
    Fortunately they don't seem to care so far as the Giro is concerned:

898137-130527s-cadel-evans.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Political Wall Map

OP - Don't stress too much about that. Happens everyone. Just make sure to take a break from the training every couple of weeks. Just to let the body build back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

700,000 turned up at Alpe d'Huez to watch lads doing less than that! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

You need a powermeter. Then you could beat yourself up with the power of science.

Apart from all that's been said about the winter conditions, there's not much point being fast in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

In the last few years, I've found my average speed in Dec-Jan is 24-25kph. Jun-Jul 26-27kph despite more hills and longer distances. I think it's to do with weather (especially wind), darkness, more clothes and I'm generally I've a bit less energy in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I think it's to do with weather (especially wind), darkness, more clothes and I'm generally I've a bit less energy in the winter.
    I would mainly blame the darkness and lack of daylight and sunshine. I think the daylight is the main missing factor. The Sun gives us the energy, when it is down, our energy level drops. I feel the lack of energy during winter months and could never explain why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

BMKN wrote: »
    Im 29 years of age very fit I aim to race this year with my local club. In the summer was doing great my spins were getting 30kph average for 50-60 and 29-30kph for metric century. My timetrails I was hitting 33-34kph over 20k. I have a bit more time to cycle so I decided to spend more time in the saddle to improve my speed more. I do about 300k per week broken into about 5 rides sometimes more. At the moment my speeds have dropped to 24-26kph on spins nothings changed just weather. Any advice? I wonder am I already burnt out?

Do you have a training plan?
    Do you take rest weeks every now and again?
    Doing a load of miles is most likely not going to make you faster.
    You need some focused training drills as part of an overall training plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I have asthma, cold air in the lungs this time of year leaves me a bit short of breath and I find it takes longer to recover after a sprint or climb. I was cruising around the 30kmph mark all summer, it's 25 now.

Advertisement