Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer school holiday work

• 20-01-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

I think one of the worst things that's happened in recent times in the midlands is local young people having almost no possibility of getting work during the summer school holidays. It was really character building - Hard graft on occasions but usually very rewarding financially. Many's the scorching hot summer's day I spent wheelin' and stacking turf on the high banks - saturated in sweat, a master Clonbunny slanesman lashin' sods up at ya and the midges 'atin the head off ya !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Time's have changed. Anyone turning turf for money is generally a business of some sort. Business can't be hiring minors or having them do heavy labour, can't have them working over x-amount of hours, then there's insurance costs, paye (yes, paye), payroll etc.. feckin madness. Different story if you're out cutting with family or friend of the family. Don't know if there's a lot of that going on any more.

To be honest, it was hard for me to even get a part time or summer job when I was a teenager, businesses simply didn't want the hassle of having to put someone on the books for a few weeks etc... Cash in hand wasn't easy to get either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Community or Voluntary work is an option. Not ideal as it doesn't pay though, but the experience could be invaluable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

My advice...

1. Put together a CV
    2. Print 100 copies.
    3. Walk shop to shop in town and hand them in.

Somebody somewhere will reply and you will get an interview. Its a pain in the hole to do but that's how a younger less angry man got his first taste of the sweet punts fadó fadó.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

My advice...

1. Put together a CV
    2. Print 100 copies.
    3. Walk shop to shop in town and hand them in.

Somebody somewhere will reply and you will get an interview. Its a pain in the hole to do but that's how a younger less angry man got his first taste of the sweet punts fadó fadó.

Good advice but sadly now days it sees to be who you know in a job or someone to put a good word in for you is more affective than a cv. This is also true when looking for full time employment i am sad to say.

Advertisement