Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of removing chimney

Options
  • 20-01-2015 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

rewording and adding second ask for reasons of previous mod unhappiness.

i have engineer drawings for the removal of a remaining chimney stack (ground floor portion previously removed). on the assumption that i'm asking solely about the cost of removal from roof level down and replacement of roof tiles from where chimney is removed, can anyone give a guide on rough cost?

i had asked in a separate thread (which has since been kindly closed) about the cost of moving a hot-press also. the hot-press is currently located in the wardrobe of the master bedroom, i would like to move it to the middle of the house. any views on potential costs of simply moving a hot-press would be much appreciated.

mods - please advise if any issue with reworded request.

original version below...
    i'm currently going through the quite frankly awful process of choosing a builder / main contractor to build an extension and complete some internal structural works to my 3 bed semi-D. seems like a lot of builders in dublin re too busy to quote!

a couple of things have come up as part of this process, 1 of which is that a chimney appears to have previously been removed at ground floor level only, leaving a chimney stack at first floor level and above.

can anyone offer a rough guide on cost of removing this? i am also looking to remove the structural wall which supports the chimney, meaning that the wall would not need to be patched afterwards. main tidy-up job afterwards would be tiling.

all views appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

i'm currently going through the quite frankly awful process of choosing a builder / main contractor to build an extension and complete some internal structural works to my 3 bed semi-D. seems like a lot of builders in dublin re too busy to quote!

a couple of things have come up as part of this process, 1 of which is that a chimney appears to have previously been removed at ground floor level only, leaving a chimney stack at first floor level and above.

can anyone offer a rough guide on cost of removing this? i am also looking to remove the structural wall which supports the chimney, meaning that the wall would not need to be patched afterwards. main tidy-up job afterwards would be tiling.

all views appreciated :D

No Structural advice is given on boards. Get the advices of an engineer as the design will dictate the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i didn't ask for structural advice, just a cost estimate. I want to be somewhat armed before approaching the builders who have previously quoted for the other works.

i have engaged a structural engineer, who has provided drawings and specifications.

additionally, closing the separate thread where i asked about the cost of moving a hot press was fairly unhelpful. perhaps my wording could have been more clear but i was simply asking about the cost of moving a hot press, not seeking structural advice.

i asked in that thread for advice on the cost, because it is an entirely different type of job. i didn't want to cloud this thread with the other ask.

the fact that it was linked to this thread was incidental, i wanted separate guides for the 2.

mods - please update thread title to reflect request for hot-press quote also, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

There is no-one on here going to be able to give an indication of cost as the majority of the cost will be dictated by the structural works required to take down the chimney stack. Please also read the forum charter in respect to Mod Instructions.

• Advertisement

i was simply explaining why i started 2 separate threads, neither of which asked for structural advice. but fair enough, the charter seems to direct towards PM in cases where a disagreement may arise so point noted.

maybe i don't understand enough on the building side to see why it would be difficult for people to opine, internet searches for same (which throw up mainly US websites) give estimates / range without any more detail provided. i was hoping for similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

You can look around 5k for chimney, but hot press, You better look if You want upgrade heating system is well in one go. In hot press You have heating pipes, water pipes and electrics, a lot of piping has to be moved and have to take in to account water pressure as well.
    If You need professional to take a look.

yeah I'm having contractors out to quote, really was looking for a range of what might be reasonable depending on complexity.

seems like it might be more difficult to provide that range than i had anticipated.

Advertisement