Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old electric train

Options
  • 20-01-2015 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all. Im new to this forum so please bear with me. I have a load of old model electric train bits and pieces. I had it when I was a child 30 odd years ago. Its been kept in a dry place so I presume it all still works but I cant find the power unit to power it all up. I think Lima is the brand. I'd love to get it going but I was wondering would this stuff be totally outdated and impossible to get any tracks... bits and pieces etc... Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

go to marks models website and send them an email about it - they have a contact form somewhere on the site i think

marks models dot com - I cannot post the link because I have less than 50 posts - I closed my original boards account.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The track is the same nowadays as 30 years ago (assuming you have Lima stuff). Your power supply may need upgrading to a new DC set. Running stock should still roll perfectly fine, the engines might need some seeing too in terms of lubrication and corroded rubbers on the wheels. A lot of helpful people over on http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/ too.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 milanomosher

When I went home to Ireland at Christmas I fished out my old Lima train set from the attic, and set it up for my young one to play with. Like yours it would be over 30 years since it was last used. I set up the tracks, connected the transformer and while there was movement, it wasn´t running well. An hour or two cleaning the tracks and loco wheels with a Dremel wire brush made all the difference. Unfortunately the transformer died, but as a workaround I´m using a variable-voltage unit that I bought in Lidl until I get a new one. It´s opened a new area of modelling that i thought I´d never be into, now I just need a spare room to build a proper layout :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Have my old Lima train set in a box in the wardrobe. It must be 30-35 years old if it's a day and hasn't been looked at in *** years!! It's on my to-do list to get it out though and see if I can get it up and running again. I know there's a carbon brush and possible a spring missing from the motor in it but a little googling a few weeks back led me to here: http://www.petersspares.com/. There are probably places in Ireland where I could get them but he seemed to have specific Lima parts so at some stage in the not too distant future I'll get out the old Tayto box that the set is in, dust it off and see if I can get it to roll again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

I am looking to buy an old train model and where would be the best place to look
    Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Sourcing and Buying an old train model will be difficult. Throwing out a suggestion you might visit a model train fair near to you. Also, find out the condition of the thing before buying. As I said, will require effort.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

6480 wrote: »
    I am looking to buy an old train model and where would be the best place to look
    Thank you

Ebay, it's where I buy most of my stuff.

Advertisement