Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network in Dublin 4

Options
  • 20-01-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have UPC broadband fibre installed in my georgian house with the encoder based in the tv room in the basement. In order to get broadband through the house I purchased devolo repeater. I also have a Sonos system which is installed into the back of the UPC box but I cannot get Sonos to work anywhere except in the basement, What or who do I get to get all of my systems to work including the phone system.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Your solid walls will be a 1 & 1/2 foot of solid stone. Your floor-boards are most likely 1/2 thick solid wood. Your other walls are probably dense plaster molded into thick wooden slats, both sides. You're going to struggle to get any wireless signal around your house, especially with the main router located in the basement.

Since its Georgian, running cables can be difficult. The best solution would be Ethernet cables run up the hallway, with powerful wireless APs mounted to the ceiling on each floor. But I don't think thats a route most people would be bothered with.

You could try something like this, it uses the power cables to send the signal, then the secondary device becomes a wireless access point. You can also hard-wire devices like Sonos players into them. You can buy most wireless devices as needed. Passthrough is a good idea as you're probably limited in plugs. I will place a warning though, a couple of Georgian buildings in Dublin still have 3 phase power. If thats the case with your house, the powerline plugs will not be able to talk to each other. Depending on the distance between devices(in terms of cable length) and the quality of the wires, your speed may vary also.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rugrat69

Contact cloney audio in blackrock.

Advertisement