Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing Order Question

Options
  • 21-01-2015 10:11am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I was paying a standing order to a company which I set up six months ago.

The company asked me to cancel this standing order since their bank details had changed, and sent me a form for a new standing order.

I filled the form in, and was told to send it back to them which I did. This was two weeks ago.

Do I have to set the standing order up as well or do they do it their end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

devnull wrote: »
    Hi,

I was paying a standing order to a company which I set up six months ago.

The company asked me to cancel this standing order since their bank details had changed, and sent me a form for a new standing order.

I filled the form in, and was told to send it back to them which I did. This was two weeks ago.

Do I have to set the standing order up as well or do they do it their end?

Are you sure it was a SO form they sent, and not a DD, for a SO, normaly YOU would send it to YOUR branch

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It was certainly a standing order form and the letter also says to send the standing order form back ot them and the letter has STANDING ORDER written at the top of it.

It's a little weird I know, but I was just following instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Legislator

To be safe you should check with your bank that the S/O you sent to the company was actually set-up in accordance with your instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's nothing weird or unusual about that - charities, local sports clubs, your parish do it all the time - ask you to sign an SO form which you give back to them and they then submit it to the bank.

The reason they do it that way is because they usually want to put an individual code (called a 'reference') onto each SO which they will be able to see on their statement. That allows them to track who is paying, otherwise if they had (e.g.) two Sean Murphys paying via SO, they wouldn't be able to tell which was which on their bank statement.

Advertisement