Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Split on tyres - what's going on?

• 21-01-2015 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭

So put a pair of bog standard (ie not gp4 / 4000) grand prix continentals on the commuter / winter bike last October. All going great until last week - noticed a split and bulging tube in the rear. Tyre removed and replaced. I'm sure it wasn't over inflated.

Cycling in this morning, same thing happens on the front to tyre - alerted by the bulge hitting the front mudguard. Could have been a lot worse - thankfully I keep a spare folding panaracer in the back pack so was able to change and continue.

Tyres can't have any more than 2000km on them. Had a pair on the bike previously that I literally wore out after 10,000 km plus without issue

Quick google suggests this may be an issue with other more expensive grand prix tyres with low mileage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Brake pads may be a bit high on the rims?

Not enough pressure in the tyre could mean the sidewalls could be chaffing in the corners?

Got a small split in the sidewall without realising it there recently. Got a puncture, swapped the tube, cycled on down the road, turned a corner, and... KABOOOOM! New tube explodes with a mighty bang. Loosing all pressure instantly (combined with the fright of what could only be the work of a sniper) made the cornering experience "interesting" to say the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

check_six wrote: »
    Brake pads may be a bit high on the rims?

Not enough pressure in the tyre could mean the sidewalls could be chaffing in the corners?

Got a small split in the sidewall without realising it there recently. Got a puncture, swapped the tube, cycled on down the road, turned a corner, and... KABOOOOM! New tube explodes with a mighty bang. Loosing all pressure instantly (combined with the fright of what could only be the work of a sniper) made the cornering experience "interesting" to say the least!

Brakes were my first culprit as i replaced both sets of pads last week. No - clearance is fine and the brakes are sitting fine on the rim.

I'm not doing any mad cornering in the bike - I use it on a 26km round trip commute daily. Also using it on weekend spins to preserve my other bike from the worst of the winter.

Advertisement