Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 and woeful wireless download speeds

Options
  • 21-01-2015 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

So really slow download speeds over wifi seems to be a problem for loads of people on the PS4.

I recently got a PS4 and it certainly has been for me. It's in the same place as my PS3 was with the exact same network set up and I got excellent speeds on that (although I know a lot of people complained of really bad speeds with their PS3 wirelessly).

At first I thought it was my broadband so I tried all the usual things like power cycling the router, changing the channel on it and using different DNS settings. No luck. I ran a speedtest on my laptoop wirelessly and got 89Mbps download and 17Mbps upload.

No matter what my set up, every time I test the connection on PS4 I get less than 1Mbps download although oddly enough I consistently get 5 or 6 Mbps upload. Downloads proceed at about 100Kbps. Pausing and unpausing makes no difference.

Sony support suggested using safe mode to rebuild the database and updating system software from safe mode. Rebuilding the database made no difference but the strange thing was downloading the software update in safe mode was very fast. I hoped it was sorted but when the PS4 restarted downloading with the system on was the same as before, although it would now load the store and the what's new section whereas before the loading circle just spun.

Using a wired connection isn't an option for me and I don't want to have to spend €40 or €50 on Powerline Adapters having just shelled out for the PS4.

The only thing I have found to work is starting a download and then putting the PS4 into standby with downloading enabled in standby. I had a 500MB download going and it was going at about the usual 100Kbps. At about 40 or 50 MB downloaded I put the PS4 into standby. I turned it back on less than 10 minutes later and the download was complete. So it seems to download at correct speed when in standby.

So I'd be interested to know if that works for anyone else or if anyone has found any other ways around the problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

The Internet connection test on the PS4/PS3 usually gives fairly inaccurate results. I think it's because the server it connects to for the speedtest is not based here. I may be wrong but i think that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

The Internet connection test on the PS4/PS3 usually gives fairly inaccurate results. I think it's because the server it connects to for the speedtest is not based here. I may be wrong but i think that's the case.

Maybe, but unfortunately the speed that it downloads at when the PS4 is on is about the same as what the connection test says. It goes 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4.. The odd time it'll do 2 or 3 hundred kbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

What provider and package have you got?

What provider and package have you got?

Vodafone unlimited, up to 100 Mbps. As above, my laptop gets 89Mbps download and my PS3 was also very fast. It seems like it's a PS4 issue to me with so many people having similar problems. Standby mode seems to be a workaround - at least for me - but it really shouldn't be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah the speedtest in the ps4 network settings must be to the psn servers. Im on a 240Mb UPC and get 25-35Mb wired on the ps4 speedtest. I downloaded the Evolve beta (21GB) in 80mins, which works out at around 34MB.

Id recommend the tplink adapters you can get them for around 35 from argos and even cheaper from amazon...

Oh and do port forwarding on your modem for PSN, that may help...

• Advertisement

CombatCow wrote: »
    Yeah the speedtest in the ps4 network settings must be to the psn servers. Im on a 240Mb UPC and get 25-35Mb wired on the ps4 speedtest. I downloaded the Evolve beta (21GB) in 80mins, which works out at around 34MB.

Id recommend the tplink adapters you can get them for around 35 from argos and even cheaper from amazon...

Oh and do port forwarding on your modem for PSN, that may help...

Yeah, really don't want to have to get the adapters. More on principle than because of the extra money.

My router has UPnP though and it's NAT type 2 so surely I shouldn't need to go down the port forwarding route. Thanks though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've always gotten bad speeds on my ps3 but when only up till recently as before xmas I started getting horrendous speeds on my ps 4 , before that I was getting decent speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

The only way I can download anything on to PS4 is through Rest Mode... Otherwise I get the worst speeds every and it could say 80mins to download a bloody 50mb file or something crazy... Then rest mode takes probably less than 10mins...

The only way I can download anything on to PS4 is through Rest Mode... Otherwise I get the worst speeds every and it could say 80mins to download a bloody 50mb file or something crazy... Then rest mode takes probably less than 10mins...

Yeah, seems the same for me. It's really disappointing watching pictures in stuff below the main menu having to slowly load in. I just hope they can sort it out and it's not a hardware thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP, once I went the route of powerline I regretted not doing it sooner. Downloads whiz for me now on the PS4...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

sin0city wrote: »
    Yeah, seems the same for me. It's really disappointing watching pictures in stuff below the main menu having to slowly load in. I just hope they can sort it out and it's not a hardware thing.

I have had this problem since I got my PS4 around the time that COD AW was released... Maybe forwarding ports and changing NAT types might help but I don't really know how to do that, last time I tried I think I messed it up even more..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Taltos wrote: »
    OP, once I went the route of powerline I regretted not doing it sooner. Downloads whiz for me now on the PS4...

+1

I downloaded the 17 GB on the PS4 today in 90 minutes or so using homeplugs

Feck it, looks like the only ways around it are standby for downloading or the adapters so.

I must check if playing online will work over wifi.

I might see if this will do the trick:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00APZZ30W

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

sin0city wrote: »
    Feck it, looks like the only ways around it are standby for downloading or the adapters so.

I must check if playing online will work over wifi.

I might see if this will do the trick:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00APZZ30W

That's just a wifi extender, not really the best solution for your situation. Also I had that and didn't find it very good.

Something like this would be better
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA4030KIT-500Mbps-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B00FEDTWL6/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1421934864&sr=1-6&keywords=powerline

I have the devolo pass through (so you don't lose a socket) that I got in PC World, works fine. Actually using 3 extenders, not the best really when it is that many but works for me.

Something like this would be better
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA4030KIT-500Mbps-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B00FEDTWL6/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1421934864&sr=1-6&keywords=powerline

I have the devolo pass through (so you don't lose a socket) that I got in PC World, works fine. Actually using 3 extenders, not the best really when it is that many but works for me.

Yeah, I was looking at that one earlier.. It's actually €37.99 in Argos at the moment.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2660981/Trail/searchtext%3ETP+LINK.htm

If I get one it'll be the pass through ones though alright.

I just thought the other one might work because use can use an ethernet cable to wire the PS4 into it.

Thanks all.

The one you linked to has no sockets - so you will lose one power point for each plug here...

Here's the closest in Argos
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1090930/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWERLINE.htm
    or in PC World
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/netgear-xavb5401100uks-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack/317468/148.5

But I also have this one that lets you plug in more than one device to it but it is a crazy price
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/devolo-dlan-650-triple-starter-powerline-adapter-kit/318264/148.5

I think your one still has to be located close to the router so you can plug it in... But I don't really know it all that well. You could for example pair it with one of the powerline to extend a new wireless network from where it is plugged in but that still leaves you with the rotten PS4 wireless speeds...

The one you linked to has no sockets - so you will lose one power point for each plug here...

Yeah, I just meant that one was a little cheaper in Argos.

I know I'd have to fork out a bit more for the pass through ones alright.

I thought if the connection between router and extender was strong enough that plugging the etherent cable from the PS4 into the extender might do it but Combat had one and it didn't work so I'll give it a miss.

Advertisement