Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

resource worker V teacher contract youthreach

• 21-01-2015 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi. Was wondering if anyone knows any criteria, or how its decided whether a person gets a resource worker contract or a teacher contract, when working in the youthreach sector.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

I'm not sure but.... I think some youthreach s want a teacher to take students to a particular level in a particular subject e.g junior cert woodwork. Some want a worker who will combine some teaching work e.g FETAC communications and personal effectiveness with some work experience and some mentoring. The resource person contract with 40 odd hours work p.w over a 6 day week and no guarantee of june &july holidays is becoming more common in further ed. Youthreach days & hours were based on the old FAS training model. Only august off.
    The decision is probably made by the cordinator in consultation with the AEO & HR. Sometimes a resource worker might have a non teaching qualification eg outdoor pursuits, youthwork and welding or whatever. There are a range of interesting people with very varied backgrounds in youthreach both in the staff rooms and among the young people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭CraftySue

Thanks ustazjoseph for taking the time to write a detailed reply. Im a resource worker, qualified as a teacher, and registered with teaching council. Started out teaching fetac, now junior cert, lca, as well as numerous other tasks.
    Recently found out this isn't recognised for incremental credit if I moved back to mainstream., but another teacher in youthreach, teaching the same subjects to the same levels, if they were on a teaching contract would.
    Can't find any documentation, to clarify who obtains teaching contracts. And am wondering, as a resource worker should I be teaching state examinations, especially if its meant to be more training, than education, and isn't recognised.
    Union haven't been able to shed much light on this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maybe check with your ETB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭CraftySue

Thanks spurious, have been onto HR, regarding this, transfer opportunities, corrections - generally passed from one person to another, and nobody willing to reply in writing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I can only suggest get onto someone on your Branch committee. They usually have someone they can ring in Head Office 'off the record' when they want to find out answers to questions they are getting no answers to.

Talk to someone in your Branch who has been around a while, or if you are not in City of Dublin ETB, get someone in your Branch to contact someone in the TUI Dublin City Branch as I know they had lots of experience with YR battles over the years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement